Lightsaber Reveal - Watchmaker's Lathe?

If you want that level of detail, then get hold of some old cameras - both digital and mechanical, a lot of old watch parts, brass, copper and aluminium tube, pcb boards from old VCRs / radios and you're good to go.

I've not used a watchmaker's lathe. I've found that a lot of parts from different found items share common measurements, and where they don't, at that scale a little drilling with a pin vice or filing and grinding with a dremel usually does the job.

Steel dressmaker's pins are great for threading tiny cogs and wheels and other bits and pieces onto. They can also be used for tiny bends to direct tubing all over the place.

Here's a quick, crappy pic.
The three identical 'probe's are made from pins, aluminium tubing, watch winding crown mounts, with 3.6mm diameter rings. The lens is from a digital compact camera, the other parts are brass and plastic lens mounts from cameras.

This part will sit opposite the primary crystal in my Luke ANH build.

Quickcrappypic.jpg

Of course it's possible to get these results from a lathe - I just think it's a little easier to find the parts and put them together as their finish is perfect - plus it would be time consuming to machine such tiny pieces identically.
Just my 2 cents.

Could anyone suggest a decent, small lathe that won't break the bank? Looking to do really small details for lightsaber reveals. I've looked around and from what I can tell a watchmaker's lathe may be the way to go. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Take care! :)

This is the level of detail I am going for: http://hswatts.deviantart.com/art/Darth-Vader-cut-away-Lightsaber-second-version-289600942

Do you know the German brand Proxxon? They have various sizes lathes and are really nice and decently priced. I don't know the availability in the US.

Roy

Proxxon is overhyped plasticstuff, way to expensive for the offered Quality.

He could start with a Minilathe, not a real precision lathe fom the start, but easily upgradeable and with a worldwide fan community with it´s tips and help.

That's EXACTLY the info I was after before I started down the lathe path. Thanks so much man. I had been looking at watch parts but saw mostly gears. Now I have a whole new set of things to take apart. Lol. Thanks again.

BTW, that is an AMAZING build! So its to focus the beam?

If you want that level of detail, then get hold of some old cameras - both digital and mechanical, a lot of old watch parts, brass, copper and aluminium tube, pcb boards from old VCRs / radios and you're good to go.

I've not used a watchmaker's lathe. I've found that a lot of parts from different found items share common measurements, and where they don't, at that scale a little drilling with a pin vice or filing and grinding with a dremel usually does the job.

Steel dressmaker's pins are great for threading tiny cogs and wheels and other bits and pieces onto. They can also be used for tiny bends to direct tubing all over the place.

Here's a quick, crappy pic.
The three identical 'probe's are made from pins, aluminium tubing, watch winding crown mounts, with 3.6mm diameter rings. The lens is from a digital compact camera, the other parts are brass and plastic lens mounts from cameras.

This part will sit opposite the primary crystal in my Luke ANH build.

View attachment 553153

Of course it's possible to get these results from a lathe - I just think it's a little easier to find the parts and put them together as their finish is perfect - plus it would be time consuming to machine such tiny pieces identically.
Just my 2 cents.

I've never heard of the brand. Then again I have not heard of most brands. All new to me. i will def look into it. I am def going to end up getting a lathe. Along with info Howard posted I should be covered, Thanks!

Do you know the German brand Proxxon? They have various sizes lathes and are really nice and decently priced. I don't know the availability in the US.

Roy

Thanks, Lotustar. Yes, this section is to focus the energy from the primary crystal into the lens for processing. It's then passed onto the next stage before the light is emitted by the focusing crystal.
Essentially, it's serves the same function as the part you posted in the link from my Deviantart page.

Looking forward to your build - I know it's a way off, but with lathed and found parts it will be superb, as the combinations are almost limitless!

Cheers,

Howard.

This is the lathe I have (non-CNC)...I wouldn't call it cheap, and it's powered by an electric motor, so its not super powerful (you can't take off 1/8" in a single pass). But I've been making sabers and other stuff with it for years. They offer lots of attachments and "upgrades" (milling column, knurling attachment, radius attachment, etc.) so you can expand as you go, rather than springing for it all up front. I have an album of my work on my profile if you want to see what I'm able to do with it. Its also made in the USA.

They offer a shorter, cheaper lathe as well (the 4000), but I wanted the extra distance between centers.

http://www.sherline.com/4400pg.htm

Last edited:
If all you are wanting to do is internal/chamber work. than I would say almost any lathe will work for those needs.

However I think you will quickly want to start doing hilts and other designs.. and you are quickly at the limits of thew bed/swing and bed length..

Most people start out with the 7x series... and these are 'decent' lathes.. usually some time/effort and elbow grease to get them to be more precision machines.

* stay away from the 7x10 lathes.. just too small to be worth the money.. 7x12 and above..

the machines you get from say Little Machine Shop will be in better condition and mostly ready to go out of the box. (but they cost a bit more for that fit/finish as well)

most Harbor Freight machines are the same Sieg/import machines you'll see elsewhere with a different sticker/branding on them... so again. with some effort these can work just fine.

that being said.. the machine cost will only be about 1/2-1/3 of the cost you will spend for tooling and other 'essentials'

its a very expensive hobby and addictive as well! :)

Yea it looks like a lathe is a bit out of my budget...for now. But this info gives me a great starting point. Thanks so much everyone for all the great tips! i went to a local Goodwill and found several old cameras for like $3 each. Also some old clocks. So many great parts in these! I like the idea of finding cool little parts and making them all work together. Besides, kit bashing is a wonderful thing. Worked great for Episode IV haha.

heres an old pic of my lathe... its really an 8x14..same lathe that Lathemaster sells as their 8x14 but diff color)
4.jpg

(mill is to the left, not in picture, which is an LMS hi-torque solid column mill, like an X2S, belt drive..etc)

other toys in my garage too.. (welder, chop & band saw, power coating system, blast cabinet, grinder, buffer,..etc..etc)

Inside I have my electronics and computer toys.. along with the laser cutter...etc

:)

Thats beautiful! That would def be a game changer for me.

heres an old pic of my lathe... its really an 8x14..same lathe that Lathemaster sells as their 8x14 but diff color)
http://dmstudios.net/misc/latheBench/4.jpg

(mill is to the left, not in picture, which is an LMS hi-torque solid column mill, like an X2S, belt drive..etc)

other toys in my garage too.. (welder, chop & band saw, power coating system, blast cabinet, grinder, buffer,..etc..etc)

Inside I have my electronics and computer toys.. along with the laser cutter...etc

:)

believe it or not...

I got that lathe brand new dirt cheap! I want to say around $279 bucks of something insane!.... maybe it was $379? its been a few years)

Was on a 'secret' discount at HarborFreight... (not advertised).. but I also used a %20 off coupon!~

This same lathe sells for $999.99 now at HF. http://www.harborfreight.com/8-inch-x-12-inch-precision-benchtop-lathe-44859.html

Its the same exact lathe that lathemaster sells too.. (except theirs in blue/green)

Its actually an 8x14 too.. not an 8x12 like advertised.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back