my Captain America Winter Soldier Stealth Suit WIP

Hey, thanks! Which part are you talking about; the band that goes around the wrist or the silver part on the cuff?
The cuff was made form the same brown vinyl that I have been using for everything else. The cool thing is that the underside is a darker brown material, which makes for the nice contrast in tones.
I'll post some better pictures of the finished gloves soon.
Yeah that's it, the bands. They are pretty **** and if u doubled up on them on the both wrist u can kinda get one that's like the gloves he has on the new suit in avengers 2.

Yeah that's it, the bands. They are pretty **** and if u doubled up on them on the both wrist u can kinda get one that's like the gloves he has on the new suit in avengers 2.

Thanks! Yeah, I made them modular, so that I can remove this band type and make the ones like Cap has in AoU.

And here are some more details of the gloves.

IMG_6192.JPG IMG_6190.JPG IMG_6188.JPG

IMG_6193.JPG IMG_6194.JPG IMG_6195.JPG

I may go back into these and make the darker brown on the bands even darker.

Thanks! Yeah, I made them modular, so that I can remove this band type and make the ones like Cap has in AoU.

And here are some more details of the gloves.

View attachment 343857 View attachment 343858 View attachment 343859

View attachment 343860 View attachment 343861 View attachment 343862

I may go back into these and make the darker brown on the bands even darker.
sweet, when u come up with an idea I'd like to see that. Me and a buddy are making him a hybrid suit and we really liked the new gloves. But I'm really liking these ones too and probably do these ones.

Started working on the brackets for the shield to get them ready to mount to the inside of it.

One thing that I found out about the previous shield I made was that the brackets were at a risk of coming off more easily than I had thought. The con-vex cap of the Chicago screws was lifting the bracket off of the shield and the mounting tape was just barely thick enough to allow for consistent adhesion. So, with the new shield, the fix I came up with was to add an extra layer thick enough to compensate for the screws. I didn't want to counter sink the screws because it would have pushed the other end of the screws through the bracket too far for them to lay flush.

IMG_6170.jpg IMG_6171.jpg

IMG_6176.JPG IMG_6174.JPG IMG_6175.JPG

This all allowed for the mounting tape to really completely cover the brackets.

IMG_6177.JPG

I lightly sanded the bottom side of the bracket and sanded the area on the inside of the shield that they would go before I mounted them.

IMG_6179.jpg

Then I made a new little mount for my magnet system too. I glue three layers of the PVC board I have been using together and Used a jigsaw to cut the sloped sides to have it come up like a pyramid pedestal to have the magnet on top.

IMG_6185.jpg

I mounted all of these onto the shield to get it ready for painting.

IMG_6186.jpg IMG_6187.jpg

The brackets covered up most of the sanding and removal of the pre made bracket system that the airsoft shield came with. Tonight was nice weather, so I was able to get it all painted. I'll post pictures tomorrow of that!

Ok! Pics of the painted inside as well as close ups of my magnet system.

The paint came out nice, but it still needs some time to cure so that not as much silver is rubbing off.

IMG_6196.jpg IMG_6198.jpg

I did a lot of wiping to get most of the silver dust off so that I could put the brackets together with the straps.
I'm happy with it overall, but I may go back in and adjust the outer straps. Since the process of adapting these brackets to this shield involved me cutting a half inch off of one end and an inch and a half on the other to get them to fit. This resulted in the outer straps being looser. Since I am not really using them for anything other than looks, it's fine for now.
The main arm straps fit just as great as they did before and everything else went back together just fine.

IMG_6199.jpg IMG_6200.jpg IMG_6209.jpg

So, for the magnet system, I used Grade N42, Rare Earth Neodymium Disc Magnets 1" x 1/4" with Dual Sided Countersunk Hole, with an estimated pull force of 24 lbs. I used two of them, one was on the mount on the shield and the other one I attached to the chest harness I made. I made sure that the screws I used to hold them in place would sit flush with the surface when in the counter sunk holes on the magnets. They snap together nice and easy (makes a pretty good clicking sound). The shield comes of without a ton of effort, but even when making fast movements and jumping around the shield stayed in place. It seems to be all about the angle it is pulled from for them to come apart easily.

IMG_6201.jpg IMG_6211.JPG IMG_6206.jpg IMG_6207.jpg IMG_6204.jpg

I'll look into putting up a video of putting it on and taking it off.

Then came the fun part, pulling off all the tape! It was nice to see it all finished (for the most part) with the red, blue, and silver.
The star is still more matte than the silver stripe, but I'm still not sure what I want to do. Do I glossy up the star, or mute down the rest of the shield?
I put it back up in it's place of honor for now.

IMG_6215.jpg IMG_6214.jpg IMG_6213.jpg IMG_6216.jpg

The next thing I am going to work on will be the gaiters for the boots. I feel like this is that one little detail that makes the costume feel more Cap-like.

Shield looks great! I would personally vote for deglossing the metal ring to match the star but it's a lot easier to just spray a gloss topcoat on the star. Either way, well done and love the progress so far!

The shield looks pretty cool so far

Thanks!

Shield looks great! I would personally vote for deglossing the metal ring to match the star but it's a lot easier to just spray a gloss topcoat on the star. Either way, well done and love the progress so far!

Thanks! I think the idea of just doing the metal ring is brilliant!, I can mask the rest of the shield off and paint just that. That way the colors are still vibrant and bold and the aluminum parts have a consistent look. Thanks for the idea! I think I'll sand it down like I did with the star and then paint it up. We have terrible weather coming up (hot and humid and then some thunderstorms) so it'll have to wait for a bit, but again thanks for the idea.

AH HA!! I've done it! I've figured out the best way to weather/battle damage shields. Wait for it...

... let toddlers play with it for a while!

This is my son's frisbee sized cap shield that he has had since the Avengers movie. I love the wear on it! I am thinking I might do something similar with my full size one.

IMG_6219.jpg

To get the lines to have depth, I used a small flat head screwdriver to etch out the lines..

Hey Grey. I'm dumbfounded how you managed to get such straight, even lines with perfect depth using a ... screwdriver? Really? How'd you DO it?

Unless by, "Screwdriver" you meant a computerized CNC machine with a router bit. The result looks totally professional.

I'd like to try to do this myself, so any details of your technique you could provide would be really helpful, please.

I'm considering using a chisel instead of a screwdriver. What do you think of that? Would it be easier and/or work better?

Thanks.

Hey Grey. I'm dumbfounded how you managed to get such straight, even lines with perfect depth using a ... screwdriver? Really? How'd you DO it?

Unless by, "Screwdriver" you meant a computerized CNC machine with a router bit. The result looks totally professional.

I'd like to try to do this myself, so any details of your technique you could provide would be really helpful, please.

I'm considering using a chisel instead of a screwdriver. What do you think of that? Would it be easier and/or work better?

Thanks.

Thanks!

I used a 12 inch cork-backed ruler as my straight edge. The nice thing about that is that it can bend to the shape of the shield. You have to use a lot of pressure to hold down the ruler to ensure it doesn't slip (I let my grip up a little a couple times and I scratched places where I didn't want to). And just hold the screw driver like an exacto knife and cut carefully.

I am sure a chisel or other straight edged sculpting tool would do just as good.

I took a break from my Cap costume to work on Star Lord (I need to work on a write up of that). But I am going to restart this build as a Age of Ultron Cap build.

I just wanted to do a quick update up on this. I had been talking about making my magnet system better and I came up with a solution that I am pretty happy with.

It's been crazy busy for me and I haven't finished what I want it to be at yet (just don't have the materials since I'm not at home). I eventually want to make the bottom magnet on the shield have the same base as the top one (it needs an angles bottom though to ensure the magnets sit flush) and I plan on remaking the harness with the magnets more integrated so that they don't stand out as much.

But, here are a few pictures of what it looks like. I am super happy with the stability of the shield on my back and it stays with pretty heavy movements and such and twists and turns, but a quick jerk pulls it right off.

I set them up so that the bottom and top magnets are at different polarities. This ensures that only the top magnet on the top of the shield sticks to the top magnet on the top of the harness and likewise for the bottom.

new_magnets1.jpgnew_magnets2.jpgnew_magnets3.jpgnew_magnets4.jpg

The magnets are these:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00I3Q3744/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
and
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00I46OJI6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited:
Love your build! I am really trying to hunt down the exact fabric for this costume as I think that is really critical. The prefab costumes get the shape right, but without that heavy fabric, you can't get the look right.

I want to buy a costume card to get a swatch, but it seems the costume cards all have TFA fabric and not WS fabric in spite of being WS cards!

So any help you can share would be great.

Thanks for for all the great tips and WIP pics. You've really done wonders with the air soft shield! I was pretty set on the steel sled method for my shield but I love your magnet system and the look of your shield overall to the point that I'm rethinking my options.

Helmet
- Got my helmet from Biggeek (it's awesome!)
- Painted it up and made the leathers and chin strap

I tried searching the RPF and the web in general for Biggeek but I came up empty handed. Any chance you could point me in the right direction? I know this thread's been quiet for a while now but any help would be appreciated!

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back