The 12th Doctor's New Sonic Screwdriver

Talking about the Extras episode, I've extracted some screenshots (1080p) showing the screwdriver and the production guideline (with some size and views).
vlcsnap-2015-12-05-22h36m58s200.pngvlcsnap-2015-12-05-22h35m31s98.pngvlcsnap-2015-12-05-22h35m46s2.pngvlcsnap-2015-12-05-22h36m40s28.pngvlcsnap-2015-12-05-22h36m30s161.pngvlcsnap-2015-12-05-22h36m04s141.pngvlcsnap-2015-12-05-22h35m13s167.pngvlcsnap-2015-12-05-22h34m58s2.png

If it can help !
(Funny to see it's my first comment more than a year after I sign in... Guess I'm a fan)

Now that we have a better look at it, I like it. Some of the filigree bolted around the edges is a bit too busy, but the TARDIS blue and cycling lights I like.

The claw part is what leave me wondering the most. Maybe it can have a function... They seems to have been built to open.

The claw part by the emitter is the only real thing I don't like about it, just kind throws it off a little to me. The raised metal pieces which I guess would be the grip area seem like an interesting way to go, to me it seems like that would be a little uncomfortable to hold but I can't judge obviously

Talking about the Extras episode, I've extracted some screenshots (1080p) showing the screwdriver and the production guideline (with some size and views).
View attachment 562803View attachment 562798View attachment 562799View attachment 562802View attachment 562801View attachment 562800View attachment 562797View attachment 562796

If it can help !
(Funny to see it's my first comment more than a year after I sign in... Guess I'm a fan)
My God, that is even sexier than I first thought. I love it already and I've barely even started studying it.

The world has really changed. I remember pausing video tapes trying to get good a look at a prop to make sketches. I also remember trying to find something in the shot to use as a scale reference to determine size. Now movies and television give so much information for the hobby prop makers. It's really awesome!

Thank you for the screen captures, by the way.

I love the new design. Very hopeful which means maybe we'll be taking a break from the grim and near emo content for a bit. I like my new Doctor grumpy but not gloomy.

Now it's a race to see who will replicate Mr. R's impossibly amazing work first. Gentlemen...start your 3D printers.

I love the new design. Very hopeful which means maybe we'll be taking a break from the grim and near emo content for a bit. I like my new Doctor grumpy but not gloomy.

Now it's a race to see who will replicate Mr. R's impossibly amazing work first. Gentlemen...start your 3D printers.

With all that beautiful brass, I'm going to wait for Richard & The Wand Company.

That design is awesome!!!
That aluminum cage part looks a bit tricky.
It looks like some parts are machined round and then some flats are grinded inlights rotate?

Solidworks and Shurline at ready.
Off to the races :p.

Last edited:
I like the bottom half, though it may be a little overdone on the blue. I really don't like the lights, it gives the sonic an overall toyish look. Looks a little 90's Trek, though. :p

I'm going to guess that there's some sort of motorised extension just below the light area. This one does not look comfortable to carry around.

Agreed. The emitter looks way too trekky. And something seems really, really off at those claw bits above the switch, really not ergonomic, like the last one. It spoils the figure of an otherwise very elegant screwdriver...

It does look very Trekky now you mention it. It really looks far too much like a prop you'd rent out for a production than something that screams Dr. Who.

I think I'd have liked it more had it had the orange lights of the current console than the blue.

If it can help !

And BBC America just posted clear versions of the photos you grabbed! Man I'd love to see diagrams like this on every prop out there.

12 sonic -1.JPG12 sonic -2.JPG

It looks like one (of four) of the lights go out in sequence around the shaft and the center light stays on all the time. That is a dirt simple circuit to make. It can be done with a 555 timer IC and a 4017 Decade Counter IC. Simple, but looks great.

All this great detailed information almost makes it too easy. I imagine Anakin Starkiller and Oblivion are already half way done making theirs. I need to get to SolidWorks and get moving (Not to mention PCBExpress for the electronics).

the design looks clumsy i would remove the thin bars at the bottom of the handle (they look like they would really get in the way) and i would shorten the emiter head by half...still wouldnt be 100% happy but i think it would be sleaker.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back