Nazgul Gauntlets - building history (2007-2014)

This deserves more views! Your gauntlets look excellent, and the metallic finish is incredibly convincing! If you ever decide to do a run on the RPF, I'd definitely be interested. :)

Do you plan on making greaves/sabatons at some point in the future? I don't remember if there was ever a canonical Nazgul foot armor, or if it's just a popular custom-made choice...

Do you plan on making greaves/sabatons at some point in the future? I don't remember if there was ever a canonical Nazgul foot armor, or if it's just a popular custom-made choice...

Well I made these from EVA-Foam for HobbitCon last year. Made them in a day ;-)
They are not separate plates, only carved in details an glued in rivets, also some mistakes in the way the plate would be intersected, but they fooled quite a lot of people :-D
...and they are VERY lightweight :cool
WP_20140417_001.jpgWP_20140418_002.jpgWP_20140419_001.jpg

Hey, while I'm waiting for the gauntlet kit, can you offer any advice for constructing the robes? I'm having a hard time identifying all the different layers from my reference pictures - so far, on the original costumes I think I see:
- Some basic black under-clothes
- A gray-brown under-robe with long draping sleeves
- A darker sleeveless tunic that goes down to the floor
- A long-sleeved robe that covers the tunic - possibly with an open front?
- Possibly a separate cloak down the back?
- And finally, a hood/shoulder piece that goes to the mid-back but drapes down near the knees in front.

Sorry if this is veering too much off-topic, I just really admire your full costume! :)

can you offer any advice for constructing the robes?

First off: considering the colors of the cloth you have to decide if you want to recreate the costume as they were made, or if want them to look like they appeared on screen...after lighting, photography, color grading, etc..
The original costumes probably were not as black as they appear, but I wanted mine to look like I remembered them: BLACK! :)
...and for the overall look: don't be to hard on yourself about the kind of cloth and about getting "the real thing". I got different kinds of cloth, some more cheap than the others. They only should have some weight o them. One kind of cloth I used has some silver threads in it...did you notice?? probably not! :D

Also the original costumes had something like 15 meters of cloth. My costume has less than half, which is already enough to carry to a convention. So there might be some layers missing on mine...

Alright, here's what I put on as part of my costume in (roughly) the order I put it on:
- dress in general black clothing (Boots, long pants, longsleve with turtleneck)
- shoulder padding from a cheap anti-riot suit to raise my shoulders. My head piece increases my height by 8-10cm so it would look a bit stupid if my shoulders were not raised a bit, too (you could use football padding, but the anti-riot suits have upper-arm armour, which helps creating the illusion of my arms being attached at a higher point. otherwise it would be more obvious that your'e just wearing shoulderpads... not sure if I explained this right!?)
- rather large, black t-shirt to hide the anti-riot padding around my neck
(- occasionally I took a small backpack, filled it with something light and bulky - like newspaper, or stuff I brought to a convention, like packing material...whatever - put the backpack on, but upside-down and quite high, to create a "hump" on my back.
Now for the costume itself:
- Put on the "iron boots" ... Your'e probably not going to be able to bend down that well later on...
- under-robe with trumpet-sleves (I adjust the length of the robe with safety pins depending on weather or not I'm wearing the "hump", so just leave it a little longer when you make it. The sleeves will get pushed into the gauntlets, so length is not very critical either)
- put on the sword-belt and other belt(s) (I have a only decorative belt which I wear almost around my chest...also helping the illusion of being taller)
- sleeveless robe with attached cloak/cape. This also has some long triangular pieces sewn to it (leftovers from cutting the trumpet sleeves) to look more "wild". This is open at the front and so I hast to be fastened up with some straps of cloth.
- put on the head-piece. Mine has the cloth attached to it and I have to close the hood at my throat with some straps.
- put on the gauntlets and stuff the sleeves in there a bit, so that everyone can see your gauntlets :cool (and it's also more practical that way)

I hope this helps.
I'll try to remember to take pictures next time when I put it on.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back