Finished my life-size sculpture of Giger Alien Version

Re: My life-size sculpture of Giger Alien Version

As I suspected, the clay does not stick to the plastic. Therefore, it is divided into sectors with the cutter,returns extremely useful to tear and paste them all,with glue.
I'm proceeding with the 64 vertebrae. To achieve half vertebra,serving 15 minutes and 55 grams of clay. A total of 32 hours and will serve seven pounds of clay, without the tip of the tail.
qi7c.jpg
8jui.jpg
zmcn.jpg

7r16.jpg

tt1j.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Hello to all,

Since this clay is not good for modeling well,I have to quantify it and shape it as much as possible before sticking. And because the vertebrae in the tail should be very similar to each other even in this volume help me with a centesimal balance.

al5z.jpg

Since this clay does not stick to the plastic,but I saw that bonds well with PVA glue,I'm experimenting with putting the glue already in the process of drafting the clay. :facepalm:)

tkv7.jpg

This is really coming together... Fantastic work!!
If you use abrasive paper to rough up the surface of the plastic tube where your vertebrae will sit it will help adhesion. Also have you considered running a small amount of rigid wire through each vertebrae to reinforce each one? It might help to keep it all together when the tail flexes.

Keep up the good work DD :thumbsup :)

This is really coming together... Fantastic work!!
If you use abrasive paper to rough up the surface of the plastic tube where your vertebrae will sit it will help adhesion. Also have you considered running a small amount of rigid wire through each vertebrae to reinforce each one? It might help to keep it all together when the tail flexes.

Keep up the good work DD :thumbsup :)

Thanks Leigh,
Yes, the hard wire of iron was my first idea is to fix the pipes is the vertebrae. But the amount of work that had loomed large,so I opted for the screws and cuts on clay. You may say, between a screw and the other with a thin iron on to make a series of steps to form eight? It would be faster. Basically, the critical points are in correspondence with the protruding spikes,in which I put the screws. I did not think to sand down the pipe. This would definitely be a better hold on with glue,but it is hard work:facepalm :). We Would like a liquid that dissolves the plastic, leaving it sticky.:confused

Fatigue ... 60% of the tail completed. Will have to dry all day tomorrow,before being turned over and do the other side. So I rest. :)

g6fr.jpg

r5zn.jpg

bdom.jpg

That looks Amazing!! you have the patience of a saint! :thumbsup :)

That looks Amazing!! you have the patience of a saint! :thumbsup :)
Dear Leigh, I am sure that if I made you,would have been much better, because you're better than both sculpt,both technically and you have more patience than me. The inner edges are imprecise because of the haste I did not think I could cut them before applying them,helping me with a ruler,but the problem is there will not be a second queue,unless this breaks. I'll try to improve it and I also have to sand the whole. in general I'm happy and I thank you very compliments. ;)

Here's the tail mounted.

nprg.jpg

fu70.jpg

It's not over yet. I may have to change the system of fixing, because the risk of scratching the statue during assembly. I also have to complete the connection zone of the tail on the back.

fy4i.jpg

The modeling of the statue is over. Before painting, it remains to diversify the nails and fill and sand some flaws.

Here's the backside completed with the system to attach the tail.

zoqn.jpg

09i6.jpg

ojt8.jpg

lt32.jpg

That is just perfect. I'd be honored to have that in my collection!!!! It screams Giger!!!! :)

That is just perfect. I'd be honored to have that in my collection!!!! It screams Giger!!!! :)

Wow, beautifully done!

Oh. My. Gawd.

The skills! Blown away!

Thank you all very much for your compliments and your advice.

Just to inform you that the solution to attack the modeling paste to the queue with the glue ,it is successful . not only the paste not detach ,but it also holds strong to stress that I had to give the tail to correct the curvature ,because his weight of 13 kg was higher than expected and did get off his tip at the bottom. separation effected with the cutter between the vertebrae , has prevented the formation of cracks, during the deformation of the tail. in the original queue ,there are no separations ,because it ' rubber .

Now I have to go about painting. The statue is made mostly of polystyrene ,which is sensitive to most of the substances used to paint ,this is not a problem because the polystyrene is coated with a resin on which can be spread any paint. then there are plastic - rubber tubes used in the electrical industry . Someone would know tell me the procedure and the type of paint to color my alien?

I think you've done a Fantastic job of this!! I'm really liking the connection of the tail to the body & the expansion slits were a good idea :thumbsup

As for the paint... as Dave said, a good primer for a base :thumbsup
I'd be concerned about whether the primer will stick to the pipes properly though! I'd suggest testing oil based & water based on some spare pipe to see how well it sticks :)

I think you've done a Fantastic job of this!! I'm really liking the connection of the tail to the body & the expansion slits were a good idea :thumbsup

As for the paint... as Dave said, a good primer for a base :thumbsup
I'd be concerned about whether the primer will stick to the pipes properly though! I'd suggest testing oil based & water based on some spare pipe to see how well it sticks :)

I would think that as long as you use a good primer, any paint will work.

Stunning work as usual!

Love the tail connection!

Thank you guys for advice. I think a primer for plastic parts is ideal,perhaps the one used for the bumpers of the cars. I must inform you,however, and I'll do some testing.

In the meantime, I think a frivolous opinion. Do you think the two small posterior teeth and I assumed that the original did not,you would put them?

wcyx.jpg

t7un.jpg

I paired my fingers,like the original Alien.

It curved and ingrown nails better.

5f81.jpg

il7v.jpg

Last edited:

Late to the party on this thread, but that is some amazing work - love it! Now if only you sold casts haha :)

Late to the party on this thread, but that is some amazing work - love it! Now if only you sold casts haha :)

Thank you very much, the molds will be something I'll have to learn to do first with the smallest things. :)
This is the first layer of proof, dark brown, above the bottom layer of ivory-pearl. Perhaps it will follow very slight shades of dark yellow and dark red and then black will be labeled the most depth and some details. Each step will be protected by layers glossy and transparent. I had never used an airbrush and am very happy with its results. It is an exceptional tool that I feel very good in my hands.

IMAG1181.jpg

IMAG1182.jpg

IMAG1183.jpg

IMAG1184.jpg

IMAG1185.jpg

Looking great!

Having never molded anything before though, would you not be better off doing that before painting?

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back