Herr Lipp's 2015 Aug-Sep Sculpture Contest Entry

Herr Lipp

Hey everyone! I've been looking into these contests for a while and figured I'd give one a shot! My plan is to sculpt a creature of my own design out of WED clay that will eventually be turned into a wearable latex mask. As the rules state however I will only be submitting the raw sculpt for the contest. I've been diligently sculpting for almost the past 2 years but always dabbled with it in various forms of it. Below you can see the earliest stages of this guy with the start date to comply with the rules of the contest as well as some of the inspiration/reference I'm using. I will also be adding photos with the contest thread behind it just to be safe haha. He was looking a little too Admiral Ackbar-esque for my taste in the first stage so I decided to try something new and go asymmetrical with his forms. There's still a long way to go but in the end I'm looking to make him just a gross but fun character. Comments and critiques are always welcome and I would like to wish everyone luck in the contest, I'm excited to see everyone's finished pieces!

IMG_3750.jpgIMG_3775.PNGIMG_3753.jpgIMG_3765.jpgIMG_3767.jpgIMG_3766.jpg

Hi Herr Lipp,

Unfortunately a screengrab of your phone isn't a valid date pic. :(

One of these "in progress" photos MUST be early and have either a newspaper with a date after August 10th or this contest thread on a screen in the background. This is to ensure that the sculpt was started in the time frame allotted.

I don't suppose you have any of those? Or another way that definitively would show that the sculpt wasn't started until after August 10th?

Last edited by a moderator:
I tried to get a picture of both the sculpt and the the contest thread but these are the best I could do. Ive made some progress since the last time I posted in this thread and am looking to have him completely finished by this weekend. We'll see how that goes!
IMG_3809.jpgIMG_3811.jpgIMG_3838.jpgIMG_3836.jpgIMG_3835.jpg

Last edited:
Well it was later than I expected but the sculpt is finally done! Overall I can say I really enjoyed this piece. These will be the final pictures that I enter in the contest! Comments and critiques are welcome as always. Good luck to everyone who entered and I look forward to hearing who wins!
IMG_3889.JPGIMG_3878.jpgIMG_3882.jpgIMG_3883.jpgIMG_3886.jpgIMG_3888.jpg

Since there is significant difference in the sculpt between your proof pic and the final I think you might be okay. I will ask the admin team for their thoughts.

Thanks for posting! :thumbsup

This is definitely badass, love the how the neck skin looks like it has just the right weight and sag to it. Very well done!

Before we release the results this week I wanted to inform you that due to the pic with the screen and the development in the sculpt since then this entry is considered valid. Good luck! :thumbsup

Thanks for the update Michael Bergeron, Im glad to hear that! And thank you for the kind words Sinned, I really enjoyed your finished piece as well! Since the last post I was able to get him molded and the first pull out, I'll post some progress pics as soon as I can as well as finished pics of the completed mask when its done!

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back