My First Costume Build, The Red Hood (Pic Heavy)

DarkMegaman

I heard about the pepakura method from a friend. I decided to find out more about this method and ended up in youtube watching Stealth's tutorial videos. They were so helpful and detailed that even a beginner like I was able to pull this off. After learning what I would need and where I could get the materials I set off to look for what costume I'd like to build. My friend had a red hood he had made for an earlier con. He told me to watch Under The Red Hood. I did and I loved it. I got more involved with the character and started reading the comics. I liked the character alot and decided to make a costume better than my friends :lol. I looked and looked but did not find a pep file that I liked. I then found out about this site and saw some pretty cool builds. One build that really got me motivated was dabiddabird's build. He got the pep file from BlackKaos. I bought the file from BlackKaos and went to work. It took me about 2-3 weeks to get everything done. My work schedule wasn't very nice to me and the weather wasn't any better. It got done just in time for Wondercon. I used many parts from my HUNK costume in this build. Well enough chit chat, here are some pictures to get this post started. More will be posted up later.

Day 1 At WonderCon. I wore Doc Marten Boots for that day. BIIIIIIIIG Mistake. Made a note to myself never to wear Doc Martens for a con ever again!

2013-03-29_16-33-50_549_zpseb590e45.jpg

IMG952240_zps9bdce6fc.jpg

Another Red Hood Cosplayer

IMG952211_zpsf43f2276.jpg

Day 2 I wore a different pair of boots. VERY comfy :D
I also added shin guards to costume, not bad :cool

IMG954394_zps1db424f5.jpg

This guy was tall!

IMG954566_zpse75e30d7.jpg

IMG953678_zps9dbeea46.jpg

IMG953950_zps2a3a0eb3.jpg

IMG957213_zpsfdede5f0.jpg

And my favorite picture of all of my friends and I

IMG953611_zps26ac04dc.jpg

Questions? Any tips, hints, criticism are welcome. After all gotta know what I did right and wrong right? :p

i love your costume especially the helmet. How did you make and attache the chest armor though?

Thanks! I used some craft foam I got from Michael's. They were a buck for a fairly large square. With a sharpie I drew out the outline for each piece then I cut out each one using an xacto knife. After I cut out the pieces I used a black shirt I didn't need anymore and hot glued each piece onto the shirt. It's simple, cheap and the best part is it looks great.

Great build!! Has anyone done stitched in foam to make it seem integral to the jacket? I'm thinking of going that way. Just want some thoughts on the idea.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back