How harmful is resin?

Wear a mask.
It's not a Cobra, but you shouldn't breathe it. A search on the Internet will give you all the tech info you need.
Laffo.

You should not breath it in PERIOD !!!

There are fumes when its still a liquid
and dust when you sand it.

Wear a mask

Bah.... thats what nose hairs are for....it'll put hair on your chest:lol

Kidding of course...what the other guys said for sure:thumbsup...real nasty stuff to breath in...vapor or sanding dust.

less harmful that polyester. But always take care and wear a mask and gloves!!!

DL 44 Blaster. Had to laugh out loud of your comment :)

Last edited:
Hopefully not too bad, considering the amount of it that's probably in my lungs.:lol Seriously, wear a mask. I didn't think about stuff like that when I was younger. I would air brush in a room with no mask back then and have whatever color I was using coming out my nose for the next day or so. Can't believe I did stuff like that back then.:unsure

try not to drink it.. unless you want a resin casting of poop.

If you inhaled some - it's not the end of the world. You're not going to die, chances are you're not going to get cancer 30 years down the road. But if you're doing a lot of it over a consistant amount of time - do what everyone has said above... wear a mask.

I guess I missed something here, what resin are you guys using????Urethane? the resin I've used for years is not toxic or vapor harmful, nor does it have an odor... you could eat it but it would break your teeth off, so I wouldn't recommend it for eating, now if some of you are cheaping out on the resins using that hi gasoline petroleum content stuff, that would definitly cause a bad odor and be vapor harmful. Vegabond comes to mind..nasty brown cheap resin, usually get alot of leeching with that stuff, and man it stinks if you sand it.
Cheers,
Will

Thanks guys,
I´m not making any kits on my own from resin, I´m just wondering as I´m currently working on a Neisen TIE and I´m using my belt sander alot.
What about the resin dust that eventually drops on the floor and the bench, is it really necessary to clean that up just in order to be in the same room without a mask?
Sorry for all this corny questions...

Even the stuff that seems odorless and non-toxic can be harmful. Epoxy, which most think is harmless, can also be harmful. Some resins are just toxic (like polyester) and will cause damage right away. Others may cause problems from exposure over time.

No one knows for sure (or will equivocally state) exact what might happen to you as that would be cause all sorts of marketing and liability issues.

Don't let any resin touch your skin while it's still uncured (i.e. in liquid form). Not only are fumes harmful (whether you can smell them or not) but you can get skin irritation, possible poisoning, or develop a reaction over time, through contact with your skin. Always wear some sort of protective gloves when working with it. This includes when sanding to keep the dust off your skin.

You should not breathe fumes emitted by curing polyurethane or epoxy resins even if you can't smell anything. You can develop a sensitivity over time, which means everything could be fine but then one day you will have a nasty reaction. Once that happens, you won't be able to go near the stuff again.

Never breathe dust generated by sanding any resin. Always wear at least a dust mask, though I now wear a NIOSH-approved respirator whenever I am working with potentially harmful compounds (including resin, epoxy, CA, solvents, paints, and sanding dust).

I was also guilty of working with stuff without protection in years past. There is no way to know for sure what the potential long term health effects can be. For sure, a lot of what we modelers use can cause cancer. Some chemicals can also cause BRAIN DAMAGE. That's not worth taking a chance, so better safe than sorry.

Now, what were we talking about again? LOL :lol

Everything said above is correct,

also dont forget the Catalyst, thats a big one too. The MEKP is very dangerous to handle too. always wear gloves and eye protection, this stuff can blind you if you get some in your eyes.

Al

As stated, glove up,wear a mask,and "ventilate" the area if you are laying up fiberglass and resin.The resin is just as smelly.Just because you can't smell it,resin(be it pollyester or epoxy),both are very toxic.

Last edited:
cough, cough, hack . . .there's nothing . . . .cough, cough . . . . harmful with breathing the . . . hack, hack, cough . . . .stuff. Don't be . . . .cough, hack cough . . . paranoid!!

Will

Last edited:
Oh no...you can drink it.It tastes great.I like my polyester shots with about 5 drops of catylist.It gives a nice "warming" as it goes down and cures. :confused J.K

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back