Building The Death Star - PRODUCTION

Maybe the raised styrene pieces on the second ring from the center or are they donor parts? Looks like they're casting a shadow.

Yeah, that's pretty much it... But I am fairly convinced it wasn't plastic*.

The right side of the center disc and "next out" concentric ring appear in deep shadow in nearly all previously published photos. There is a moment in the film (when poor Leia's mum and pop are blased to hell) that you can see the right side, but resolution is not great.

I had thought all along that the first ring out from the disc was detailed entirely in thin strips. But this image - upon blowing it up and studying it closely - clearly shows two fairly large trapezoidal shapes at 2:00 and 3:00. And yes; it is evidenced by the lifting of the material and resultant shadow (primarily at the 2:00 position). The detail piece at the 3:00 position is not quite as clear, but still pretty easy to see that it is a large trapezoid-shaped piece.

I've known all along that they used trapezoids elsewhere (farther out) on the dish. Just never knew they used some inside this center ring as well.

RPF member Clerval (where is he lateley?), had a connection with Ralph McQuarrie. Per Clerval, RM indicated they used "colored paper" in places to create the surfact texture of the model. This must be what he was referring to.

*While I know full well that styrene comes in paper thin stock, I'm pretty convinced they used some form of self-adhesive paper (this has been discussed before). Scale on this model is everything. The vinyl I'm using is ultra-thin; possibly thinner than an "average" sheet of paper, (though I realize paper comes in various weights), and it is producing a near-perfect look.

Last edited:
Another thing I've noted in this new image is the black hash marks on the outer edge of this ring, and the clear distinction of the darker shaded detail pieces.

Good detective work and the new dish looks better for sure...now about the strips peeling off; those models were not supposed to last forever;). Great to see you back at it!

Latest...

Far more accurate than it was before. Probably 95% accurate.

031414 001.JPG

Finished the inner ring. I should CHARGE people for this pic, or keep it a secret, (you know - in the good ole' RPF tradition!), but I don't play that way.

So here is a free reference map. Note a big change at the 5:00 position.

031614 002.jpg

I don't know if you have this image or even if it would be of much help.
http://i658.photobucket.com/albums/uu302/scratchyimages/Death Star/ds200_zps370bbe8f.jpg

You know, I do have it, but huge thanks anyway! I totally appreciate it!

And I love weekends... Got it done.

031614 004.jpg

But I am a little worried about the slightly convoluted surface of some of the pieces. I've determined they're not air bubbles, but little specks of crap that somehow stuck to the backside of the vinyl. Transferred from the exacto blade, picked up from the cutting glass, maybe on the model itself.

Not sure paint wil hide these or not. May have to re-do a couple pieces, but that would be simple enough I suppose.

031614 005.jpg

Last edited:
But I am a little worried about the slightly comvoluted surface of some of the pieces. I've determined they're not air bubbles, but little specks of crap that somehow stuck to the backside of the vinyl. Transferred from the exacto blade, picked up from the cutting glass, maybe on the model itself.

Not sure paint wil hide these or not. May have to re-do a couple pieces, but that would be simple enough I suppose.

Fixed these...

All right squirrels the last major hurdle is done.

Got the base coat on the dish...

Made me nervous as a bad coat of orange peel or crap in the paint could have really ruined my day. But it's sunny and 80 here with 50% humidity, so not a bad day to paint. Went down well with three wet coats of Tamiya Light Grey Primer.

Still not out of the woods yet thought. Still have to paint a few of the pieces darker, which means finding the right color (again - since I don't recall what I used), masking these pieces, and hoping the mask doesn't peel up the vinyl detail pieces. I still need to re-install the center disc too. Plus I have to add back all the pencil lines, and clear coat the *******.

Still some work to do, but am happy today...

031914 006.jpg

031914 004.jpg

031914 005.jpg

Death-Star-White-House.jpg

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back