Luke ROTJ V2 lightsaber

Yeah I've tried several variations of heat, heavy wash, drying etc, and it always comes out just dull and whiter, not darkened. Maybe its because I have a crappy apartment dishwasher. Did you lean the saber with anything beforehand? Acetone?

Kylash , I think the question you need to ask Sundowner , is "What brand of detergent are you using specifically?" "Powder, Liquid, Pouch, etc.?" And it wouldn't hurt to know "Top rack, or bottom rack?" "Water temperature, extra rinse, etc.?"

Maybe it has something to do with the specific ingredients in the detergent that provides the proper darkening of the aluminum. Good Luck figuring it out!

Last edited by a moderator:
I do have hard water at my place but I hadn't done anything to the hilt beforehand. I placed the hilt on the top rack for a normal cycle with no extra rinse but had heat dry (that sucker was HOT). I used Reeva Dishwasher Powder Packs. It's an off brand that is available at Aldi's.

Maybe you have a really efficient dishwasher and the rest of ours suck!

Yeah I've tried several variations of heat, heavy wash, drying etc, and it always comes out just dull and whiter, not darkened. Maybe its because I have a crappy apartment dishwasher. Did you lean the saber with anything beforehand? Acetone?

I do have hard water at my place but I hadn't done anything to the hilt beforehand. I placed the hilt on the top rack for a normal cycle with no extra rinse but had heat dry (that sucker was HOT). I used Reeva Dishwasher Powder Packs. It's an off brand that is available at Aldi's.

Maybe you have a really efficient dishwasher and the rest of ours suck!

you know... you may be on to something. when i was looking at doing this a while back, i stumbled upon videos of Indian women using their dish washers with their indian cooking ware. i am guessing normal dish washers ruin their aluminum pots and pans. i bet there is "high efficiency" washers out there, that wont ruin aluminum. because there are a few videos of these indian women posting videos of proof that their washer doesnt ruin their cookware

Well my washer is at least 10 years old, so I doubt it's anything fancy. I'll have to try it in my mother's washer and see if I get anything different if the aluminum black doesnt come out even.

That's a great idea! I just got my slothfurnace card and now I am thinking about washing it before I do a repaint!

FInally i received the chunk from printer. I 3D modeled it after the seeing Hamill pop culture quest video captures which shows a larger and not squared chape than the one i had.

I printed in "stainless steel" The truth is that is 60% steel and 40% bronze so the final color is slightly different than steel, but is barely apreciable.
Even less is you weather it with some aluminium black or thinned paint. (Mine is not weathered)

The bad thing is that it came too rough and with coarse grain over it. I have used my dremel to sand and polish it a bit and this is the result.
You can see in the following pictures.

If some of you want one, i would consider to offer a few just at production cost (shapeways price)

Hope you like it :)

EDIT: I forgot, shapeways price is $7.42 plus shipping.

View attachment 703509View attachment 703510View attachment 703511View attachment 703512View attachment 703513View attachment 703514View attachment 703515

$7.42? For the whole saber?

So yeah it's nearly impossible to get a smooth even color with aluminum black. It streaks and splotches even on completely clean smooth metal. Gonna let it soak in leather dye for a few hours and see where that gets me.

Trying to decide where the dark brown should start and stop on the neck. From this enhanced and oversaturated pic, it seems pretty clear the gold originally stopped where the emitter piece rotates. You can see the change to black.

View attachment 703536

But what about where it ends going down past the windvane? Would the bottom of the windvane be the same color, does it extend down to the next thin neck piece or not? I havent been able to find any clear enough Obi shots to determine.

Any thoughts on this?

Any thoughts on this?
While hard to see, I think he lower portion is black in this photo, but it's hard to say

519fbbd507dcde3920cf7683540f49e1.jpg

0ed7aa94658692bbcbddbdcaa0a46092.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back