DELETE

Re: My Chucky Doll sold for $18K, advice needed!

Hi,

Well done you chucky dolls are a masterpiece so $18K is nice price if you manage to realise it. I have read everything that has already been written & agree that this does all have the smell of a scam but have you considered an alternative approach if the buyer claims to be genuine. Call his bluff and tell him that rather than sending the money you would except cash on delivery & see what his reaction to that is, it would leave him no room to manouvre a scam as there would be no option to charge anything back. If it's a scam he should at that point run for the hills.

If he agrees, do you know & trust anyone reasonably locally to France, Gremany, Italy etc the reason is that if you could possibly find a willing volunteer you could send the doll to them for face to face delivery. Charge the buyer the shipping charges as usual & pay your volunteer the cost of delivery train, cheap flight etc & you should still be up. You wouldn't pay the paypal cross border fees so what you save on those would possibly cover the expenses incurred. Additionally if you shipped the item to someone you could declare the item as a gift at whatever value you choose without fear of commiting mail or customs fraud since no money would have changed hands. The person acting as your agent is the person selling it on therfore the seller not you.

I know it's a more obscure way round the problem but it might just solve your problem one way or another, if he's genuine you get your cash & if it's a scam the thought of a face to face delivery with the expectation of cash on delivery would make him disapear. I have to state however that you have to have someone you trust to do the delivery for you as you have to feel comfortable with it all. Hell I'd even voluteer to do it for you I can get a flight for around £150 to £200 return but you don't know me from Adam.

Anyway just wanted to give you my thoughts, hope it all works out for you I've been following your thread & have to say that your chucky dolls are some of the best work I've ever seen & you deserve to realise the price the action ended at.

That I did not know, but I just researched it and it's true. The cap is $250, which makes me feel a heck of a lot better than $1.8K. I just confirmed this by checking my bill from the last doll I sold, which went for $5K. The fee was capped off. I didn't know this because I sold some other stuff and the fees were all lumped together. But when I divide it out, they did charge me less than $500 (which the fee would have been if it were a flat 10%)

I plan on writing a very detailed post about the process I'm going through when this is all done. Because I guarantee no one here has been in a situation exactly like this before and it's been very educational. This thread is CHOCK FULL of misinformation about what one can and cannot do on ebay. I've heard things like "just cancel the top bids," "call ebay and get them to straighten it out," "demand that he pay in 1 day or move on," or my personal favorite "get him to pay a non-refundable deposit." For the record, I did talk to a representive on the phone today. It was not particularly helpful, but he did confirm everything I was able to research on my own about the process. There are horror stories about buyers and sellers alike being scammed, but the fact is there are a lot of rules in place to prevent either party from abusing the system. They are protecting both of us. In this particular situation, I happen to be the honest party and the other is suspect, but the shoe could easily be on the other foot. I've been buying and selling on ebay for 14 years now. I have been scammed once (in 2002) and in that situation I was the buyer.

I have several theories about what is going on here, but I'll post them after it's all over.

Don't be fooled into a false sense of security by eBay telling you they will protect you as the seller. That's the exact same thing they told me and they still sided with the buyer with all the photographs and video footage I had (that they refused to look at by the way). If this person is scamming you, they will get their money back and you will have to go to France to fight it. eBay will not have your back and you shouldn't be surprised that they wouldn't tell you that over the phone. Of course they want you to feel safe and protected, they want your Final value fee.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's what I was going to say. There have been to many stories of eBay saying one thing and then doing another. All they are concerned with is getting their money, period.

Your high as a kite if you actually send the doll to him. No one in their right mind would drop 18K for something like this ( not that this isn't a valueable/top notch piece). Take your 5-6k from the lower bidders and move on, you've already uncovered the the top two bidders to be ONE PERSON! Don't let the money blind you from reality man its a scam plan and simple.

Your high as a kite if you actually send the doll to him. No one in their right mind would drop 18K for something like this ( not that this isn't a valueable/top notch piece). Take your 5-6k from the lower bidders and move on, you've already uncovered the the top two bidders to be ONE PERSON! Don't let the money blind you from reality man its a scam plan and simple.

We have done all we can to help him...guess we just sit back now and see the scam unfold...

I see this all the time. The excitement for that dollar amount always makes them search for any reason for it to be true and for any reason to go through with it.
People have said it all along.... When it is too good to be true , it ALWAYS is.

Don't worry about the final value fees for this. They are capped at $250 per sale by ebay policy. Plenty of time to get your fees refunded or credited back to your account.
Getting 18K is a long shot as discussed, but so what?..... Just wait to see if you get the cash. The buyer could be a rich eccentric or something:darnkids.
If the 18K falls through you know you are going to sell this Chucky to someone sooner rather than later anyway.
Just make sure for any high priced stuff, as you know already, take films or pics of the shipping process and cover yourself by contacting relevant parties like Paypal, ebay etc. so it is all recorded along the way. You can also phone the buyer direct...according to ebay policy, they release contact phone numbers to sellers using their information request procedure which takes two shakes of a lamb's tail to do.
:pWould be cool to get 18K....you never know...low probability but could come through...the curse of Chucky's evilness at work here....muahahhhahhhaahahaha:devil

"BUMP"

This guy has excellent advice; because he sells high dollar pieces all the time.

My BS radar went off quite a bit in the beginning and I agree with Matt Munson, you should stop screwing around with this person. Call ebay and offer to the third guy.

Avarice can and will bite you in the dickens.

I appreciate the advice, so I apologize if that came off as harsh. Much of it was given out of true concern, but a lot of it came along with insinuations that I was being greedy and stupid for trying to get to the bottom of what's going on, when you have no idea what my intentions are. So I was just a little ticked off.

There is a proper way to cancel an auction without incurring fees and without requiring the buyer's approval to cancel it, but it takes time.

Even though I don't feel concerned by your latest post, I think what you said is a strange way of saying "thank you" to all these people trying to help you out.

Anyway, I wish you the best of luck with your transaction.

I have called ebay. They won't cancel the top bids. He hasn't broken any rules.

"BUMP"

This guy has excellent advice; because he sells high dollar pieces all the time.

My BS radar went off quite a bit in the beginning and I agree with Matt Munson, you should stop screwing around with this person. Call ebay and offer to the third guy.

Avarice can and will bite you in the dickens.

Been watching this thread since it started...
No expert here but with all the red flags, why on earth are you going through with the incredibly suspicious bidder? In a perfect world yes maybe ebay will help you sort everything out if it turns out to be a scam, but honestly don't let that give you a false sense of security and walk into a bad deal. Ebay is known for being inconsistent about resolving scams and issues like these. The fact that the guy used two different accounts (not against the rules by any means) but DENIED and pretended to be two different people initially and only came clean (with a lame excuse) after you pressed him... he is obviously dishonest at best. Not even getting into the amounts he bid with both... There is something more than weird about the whole thing. Don't let the numbers blind you to reality!

If the 3rd bidder is willing to pay in the range of what you normally get and would have expected anyway for your item, selling to them just seems like the smartest thing to do. I don't mean any offense, but all the while watching this half of the people are telling you this is too good to be true. Don't set yourself up for disaster, it's not worth your time or money to sort it out if it turns out to be what it looks like. : (

edited: Saw your above post... so at this point can you not do a second chance offer to the 3rd bidder?

Last edited:

My question is. If this buyer has admitted that he is the top two bidders, why is he willing to pay more than his highest bud that is just over the 3rd bidders $6,000. I mean he ran the total up on himself for a reason. Hmmmm...

That's the thing. Since the auction is over, Nagata has to follow certain steps even if he is not selling to the top two (and same lol) bidders. He still has to give the winner opportunity to pay, and if he (the seller) wishes to cancel the transaction, the buyer still gets a week to respond to the open case. Ebay can still sit on the final value fees (especially if they were taken out automatically) until this is all resolved, and it can definitely take a bit.

Anyways, the auction's over. No matter what is decided and if the doll goes anywhere or not, I'm sure Nagata is making sure his Ebay account also doesn't receive a black mark by straight out REFUSING to sell to the high bidder without following the proper procedure to cancel the transaction (if he even chooses to do that).

All of this guy's actions say it is still a scam, whether or not the logistics of it make sense. You don't need to be smart to run a scam, it just helps if you expect it to be successful. Who's to say it's not just somebody who thinks they're smarter than Ebay and Paypal. :)

IMO if I were you, I would transfer all money out of your PP account ASAP. Knowing eBay they may try to stick the fees still to you if this guy pays and you don't send/want to cancel the auction. If they charge you and it gets taken out of your bank/CC then you can claim a fraudulent charge and do a charge back on eBay.

I'm on an automatic billing cycle and won't be charged until next month. This will hopefully be sorted out by then.

IMO if I were you, I would transfer all money out of your PP account ASAP. Knowing eBay they may try to stick the fees still to you if this guy pays and you don't send/want to cancel the auction. If they charge you and it gets taken out of your bank/CC then you can claim a fraudulent charge and do a charge back on eBay.

I have called ebay. They won't cancel the top bids. He hasn't broken any rules.

why would this person purposefully jack up his bids higher using 2 separate user accounts, and at first lie about not being the same person? The feedback excuse does not fly with me either.

I truly think that they are trying to scam you. They will get the doll and then claim that it never arrived or was damaged or something to get all of their money back and also keep the doll.
this person wants your doll and has shown that they will do anything to guarantee that they would win it. The intentions are sketchy, and shows all the signs of a scam in progress.

As many have stated here, this reeks of a scam. Why would EBay allow them to use 2 accounts to raise their own bids against each other?

it might be worth taking a hit and a negative feedback on EBay and refuse to sell it. Contact the 3rd highest bidder and relist it with a buy it now for what they offered and block the other persons user ID's. Also state u.S only so the possible scammer cannot bid with a potential 3'rd or 4'th eBay account.

I hope you are able to get this resolved as the person in France shows extreme signs of scamming you.

Last edited:

I'd skip eBay all together......Contact the interested parties and say hey here is the deal, if you want it send me your email address I and I forward you over a PayPal invoice and send it on its way.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back