DL-44 ESB Blaster Discussion - Greeblies POST 208

awesome job!

Also, my dad mentioned the thick edge we see doesn't appear on the left side, maybe neither the right. On the left it looks thin.

I think that is paint. I didn't notice anything as weird as that when I was there.
Thanks! I see that now.

Here's a fun question, did you get the impression the knurls were drawn right on the aluminum? I've seen people draw on tape and stick it on, lathed aluminum can get slippery

Thanks! I see that now.

Here's a fun question, did you get the impression the knurls were drawn right on the aluminum? I've seen people draw on tape and stick it on, lathed aluminum can get slippery

Straight on, if it were a sticker I need glasses :lol

It looked like marker pen, if that doesn't stick to alu then maybe they did it over the weathering overspray (or over a clear coat). Not sure how it woulda been done, only certain of what it appeared to be.

Here's a picture of mine, with BobaDebt's Thorens disc replica. It's sitting sightly off the bracket, and creates a shadow.
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160728/9ccfd300516b00bc6d386bd88ca3cbab.jpg

Although in some light, it looks different...
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160728/da2c9dffc925f17e9b1735d1cb979cfb.jpg

I just came across your photos and I wanted to say incredible job Dann!!! Your flash hider is perfect. How did you do the weathering around the disc??

I can confirm it is not a thoren disc. It has no indentation and sits flat on the mount. Its approx 3mm thick. All measurements are eyeballed, so if a better measurement can be derived from the available pics, go ahead!

In the centre of this round greeble (guess I'll stop calling it a thoren's!) there is an approx 1 cm grey infill looking area, showing the greeble had an indentation or perhaps a screw hole or was a doughnut that was filled in with a grey putty. The yellow staining looks like dried on ketchup, but sits flat. Rust maybe? The ex-thorens has a more nickle like hue than the exposed alu chips on the mount next to it. Might be a plated part.

I looked at the spacer assembly under the mount again, looks like a 9mm tall bit with a 2mm bit stacked on top. I thought it was 8mm + 2mm before, but its an estimate and I see in metric. It is prob a US/Imperial measurement in reality.

Also, I can 100% confirm that the bolt things holding on the plastic greeble on the other side do not run through the round metal disc (ex-thorens) on the other side. Just doesnt line up. I was on all fours to see this.

Last edited:
I can also confirm it is NOT a thorens disc. I wish it was since I wen through the trouble and expense to track down a vintage one... but it's not.

Dammit, I guess my drilled through design will also be considered custom work

i do think the turntable plate is a fitting greeblie for the SW universe but *sigh* looks like this bracket attachment is completely different

I can also confirm it is NOT a thorens disc. I wish it was since I wen through the trouble and expense to track down a vintage one... but it's not.

How are we "confirming" that it's not a Thorens disk?

Because if it's not It would be extremely coincidental that there are 2 items that have almost identical dimensions.

The lip width, bolt spacing indentation in the center, it all seems to line up with Thorens disk.

I'm still on the fence but I think he means there's no impression, just a puttied area in the center, like someone filled in a washer. It DOES look thicker than a Thorens disc, to my eyes and I hate that.

How are we "confirming" that it's not a Thorens disk?

Because if it's not It would be extremely coincidental that there are 2 items that have almost identical dimensions.

The lip width, bolt spacing indentation in the center, it all seems to line up with Thorens disk.

It looked nothing like a thorens apart from overall diameter and the 3 equally spaced screws. The putty in the middle may or may not be covering a hole or indent. It was a pretty narrow area anyway.

it was in no way a thorens, went in there to confirm/deny it specifically. Looked at Lichtbringer's thorens pics just before

Last edited:
I appreciate you going back in there to bring us this info, but I just can't take it as gospel without some sort of photographic evidence.

Screen Shot 2016-08-27 at 6.54.27 PM.pngScreen Shot 2016-08-27 at 6.54.37 PM.png

I thought I'd seen these things before. There ones on Graflexes which are flatter, but the screw holes are way too big. These are RA Goldmann camera plates. no clue what they are for.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back