GHOSTBUSTERS Pre-Release - film discussion only, no social commentary please!

so... here is a question. just how much does sony have riding on this disaster?

its tough to gauge online reaction..but afte the twitter blow up, it seems to have fallen back into the negative side. where as before with the visit blow up, it was leaning more positive...

I was at Sony today for a tour and walked past Ivan Reitman. Looked a little worse for wear. I'm sure this movie is taking it's toll on him...

he got stuck in between a rock and a hard place, and now he's seeing all his hard work go down the drain. along with the fan reaction to things released, that can't be helping any...

also, I was watching a joel hodgson interview from this year where he said another (bill murray mode ) fig newton...(end bill murray mode) err..paul feig... production, other space, probably isn't coming back. someone recomended that to me because they know I like MST3K. and when I saw the reviews on it...it seemed like that might have contained some of his trademark potty humor..

did anyone else check that out? curious now..maybe shocking humor is what he does now...and that's what we'll see in ghostbusters.

Mentions ghostbusters at 2:10 or so.... complete dead silence.. only one small 'whoo hoo' ;o)....

Last edited by a moderator:
I would be surprised if this movie was not a bunch of shock/potty level humor. Or at least sexual. It will be lowbrow in one way or another.

Hollywood does not do humor with any subtlety or nuance or deadpan anymore with projects like this. That's more like TV's department. For theatrical stuff they save the subtle humor for the 'grown up movies' starring older Oscar winners & aimed at retirees.

IMO no movie with proton packs is going to aim any higher than waist level these days, be it male or female cast.

I would be surprised if this movie was not a bunch of shock/potty level humor. Or at least sexual. It will be lowbrow in one way or another.

Hollywood does not do humor with any subtlety or nuance or deadpan anymore with projects like this. That's more like TV's department. For theatrical stuff they save the subtle humor for the 'grown up movies' starring older Oscar winners & aimed at retirees.

IMO no movie with proton packs is going to aim any higher than waist level these days, be it male or female cast.

As long as they don't get Tyler Perry, Adam Sandler, Tracy Morgan, any of the Wayans brother and/or Martin Lawrence to write it, I'm sure the potty humor might be tolerable

As long as they don't get Tyler Perry, Adam Sandler, Tracy Morgan, any of the Wayans brother and/or Martin Lawrence to write it, I'm sure the potty humor might be tolerable

Choosing from current popular female comedians, try to imagine a list reminiscent of that immturity/absurdity - you get Feig's cast.

So Rick Moranis said no and it wouldn't make sense to do a walk on roll...... BRAVO!!!!!!!

How do you do a walk on roll? Unless you mean for him to literally walk on to the set and then proceed to do a roll, but I'm not sure that Rick Moranis can do such a thing, even if he wanted, he may be many things but I don't think that a gymnast is one of them.

How do you do a walk on roll? Unless you mean for him to literally walk on to the set and then proceed to do a roll, but I'm not sure that Rick Moranis can do such a thing, even if he wanted, he may be many things but I don't think that a gymnast is one of them.

cameo.......

So Rick Moranis said no and it wouldn't make sense to do a walk on roll...... BRAVO!!!!!!!

keep in mind, hasn't it been said that the main cast had some kind of contract for a three picture deal?
they might have been forced too.

rick moranis was just a bit player. a major bit player, but not on the same level as the main four...so he might not have had the s ame deal.
same goes for sigourney weaver.

and to clarify that, you could do the story without those two. in a sequel at least. with the main four, not so much.

keep in mind, hasn't it been said that the main cast had some kind of contract for a three picture deal?
they might have been forced too.

rick moranis was just a bit player. a major bit player, but not on the same level as the main four...so he might not have had the s ame deal.
same goes for sigourney weaver.

and to clarify that, you could do the story without those two. in a sequel at least. with the main four, not so much.

You could also very easily make a direct sequel that only stars Rick Moranis from the original cast(the others got killed off screen, or something).

Bill Murray is likable when he's on... when he's off, it seems he's a different person.
Rick Moranis, however, has the same amount of talent and good will built up, but is liked by pretty much everyone. I can't criticize him like I can with Bill Murray...nor would I want to.

then you see comments like this from facebook. I guess this guy might regret this when he learned why rick quit acting to begin with....

>>>
So, Rick Moranis was offered a cameo in the reboot and turned it down. To quote Rick: "But it just makes no sense to me. Why would I do just one day of shooting on something I did 30 years ago?"
I like the guy and all, but he obviously just doesn't get it. He can't be bothered to spend a day doing a simply cameo - for which, I'm sure, he'd be paid quite nicely - yet he made all those damn "Honey I Shrunk..." sequels?!?

You know things are screwy when Bill Freakin' Murray makes a cameo in the Ghostbusters reboot, but Rick doesn't.

Yeah, he says he's not "retired", but his career says otherwise.
>>>

People tend to focus on all the crazy negative people that are out there because negativity makes the news. but there are equal amount of people being driven crazy on the supportive side of the film (mostly the fan sites and people with hollywood connections that I see) who try to use any excuse to give reasons why this thing will be good...when most signs are pointing toward the trend of a bad reboot.... My favorite is still the one from another site about a jumanji question, that somehow got brought up during reboot talk..... being legitimately asked if jumanji was a remake or a sequel... the answer was wondering if the star of that was still around for the sequel...

but, GB fan sites are usually that vitrolic all year around..so, nothing really new here!
Although, to be fare......some of them do at least try to be objective at least a few times.

I have a tremendous amount of respect for Rick Moranis. A lot for why he retired from acting, and now more that he didn't think this film was worth a cameo.

just to clarify, rick's not really bashing the film saying it wasn't going to be good or bad.. he's just saying that he doesn't really see the need to do a 30 second cameo.
The three main ghostbusters may feel the same way (Ernie, definetly....Dan, most likely.... bill could care less either way, I think).......but I think Sony strong armed them into doing a short cameo just to give this thing more good will from the fans on the fence...or the casual viewer who thinks it's the old cast giving their endorsement fully to the new
film.

Here's a question... do you think feig would be this open with the fans and allowing them so much access and publicity with the film, if the film didn't NEED good publicity this badly?
I was trying to think of another film that allowed fans such close access and can't really think of one.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back