Doctor Who opinions

You know I don't mind the sunglasses as a set up for this Doctor to have his own screwdriver. I almost feel the sonic is like a lightsaber to a jedi. They each build their own and it's theirs. As long as the sunglasses are a 1 to 3 episode off shoot I don't mind it that much. That being said if that is all we have then I will be pissy.

Only if that 90% are too stupid to remember that the Angels don't kill people but merely send them back in time. So it's really more bittersweet than tragic since both Amy & Rory still ended up together and lived their lives out in the past while being effectively dead to the Doctor, even if he could traveled back in time to somewhere nearby, looked them up/left them some sort of message, then traveled to wherever he parked the TARDIS and everything would then be back to normal.

True, but as with most things, they don't cater to the 10%. It's not companion related, but still the biggest gaffe to take me out of an episode from '63 til now, is the one that opens with a T-Rex in london. NOT because it's a T-Rex in London in 17-1800's, they explained that enough, no, because the things was 200 feet tall! And there was nary a word about it. A huge T-Rex would maybe have hit 20' if it was lucky...but i digress.

I fit in those 10%, and I took it pretty hard. I realized they didn't die and lived, but I don't think i'd have taken it worse had they flat out died. To me, the end result is the same whether i'm the viewer or the doctor - I'll never see them again, and where i'm standing now, they died 60 years ago or whatever it was. Ultimately i view it as a tomato tomahto thing. It's a comforting thought that they did have their life together - but, as i won't be a part of it, ever - it's not a huge comfort.

----------

As to the screwdriver, it's become too important. 1, didn't have one. 2 was the first to have it and used it, what? twice? I'd wager tennant used his more than the first 7 doctor's combined. In Sonic Shades can reduce the importance, maybe they're not too bad after all.

----------

As to the screwdriver, it's become too important. 1, didn't have one. 2 was the first to have it and used it, what? twice? I'd wager tennant used his more than the first 7 doctor's combined. In Sonic Shades can reduce the importance, maybe they're not too bad after all.
Yes, it has become to important but sonic shades are still using the "sonic" and not reducing the importance. Capaldi hasn't been using it as much or in the same way as Smith anyway. As long as he isn't using it as a tricorder or brandishing it as a weapon I'm ok with it. The screwdriver not the glasses.

...Whiiiiiich gets me back to an issue with Moffat...*snip*...When he's reined in, when he doesn't have unlimited ability to do whatever the hell he wants, he ends up producing really solid, moving, insightful science fiction with compelling characters. But left unfettered, he's indulgent, lazy, and obnoxious.
My comment below is in regards to your entire post #212, not just the part I've quoted here (no real reason to repeat the whole thing).

Could you please try to stop sucking thoughts from my mind and presenting them here in print far more eloquently than I can? :lol It's scary how precisely I agree with everything you expressed in that post.

I liked the these last two episodes, but there's just one thing unbelievably laughable about them. There's no way a deaf person who can't communicate with the exception of one other person could be in the military AND be in charge of a base like that.

I think it's no different than having a leader in charge who only speaks (for example) German. They'd also need an official translator. Also, I don't think it was specified she was there due to practical military experience, rather that she was more technical and leadership skill-based. Remember, these days UNIT isn't just military, there's a lot of alien tech R&D, and studying everything The Doctor has done.

She wasn't in charge originally though was she. Moran was...then he got killed. Besides, wasn't it a joint military/civilian mining operation. She could have been second in 'command' because of her civilian mining experience?

I think it's no different than having a leader in charge who only speaks (for example) German. They'd also need an official translator. Also, I don't think it was specified she was there due to practical military experience, rather that she was more technical and leadership skill-based. Remember, these days UNIT isn't just military, there's a lot of alien tech R&D, and studying everything The Doctor has done.

But serving in the military at ALL and being deaf? Not even having a cochlear implant that would let her hear? She'd be freaking useless. It smacks of PC of 'anyone can do anything'.

- - - Updated - - -

Solo is going to be pissed after this one.

He can just get over it.

You might as well say what the point of a deaf actress, she won't be able to hear the director, or the other actors, and yet there she was, not in 150 years, but right now.

Good job you weren't in charge of star trek the next generation, or there would have been no Geordie.

Disabled people are still people.

Yikes. Well, for what it's worth, I enjoyed both episodes. Both were fun, and honestly I was never a watcher of the Doctor before Capaldi. I never miss an episode now.

You might as well say what the point of a deaf actress, she won't be able to hear the director, or the other actors, and yet there she was, not in 150 years, but right now.

Good job you weren't in charge of star trek the next generation, or there would have been no Geordie.

Disabled people are still people.

There's a huge difference between an actress playing a part, and a real life military unit leader that needs to function in real life and death situations. It's like saying a guy in a wheelchair can still serve as combat infantry.

Geordi could see. He wore a visor making it possible. She's deaf, with no cochlear implant. Considering it's in the future, she should have had technology that enabled her to hear. It's just stupid to not have one. In fact, taking your comparison further, Geordi's visor became an asset in a few episodes, allowing him to see into spectrums and find things that other members of the crew couldn't find. They could have had her wearing a cochlear implant that allowed her to hear frequencies that are outside the normal range of human hearing, maybe allowing more information to be discovered regarding the ghosts and Fisher King.

Instead they went the most implausible thing possible, a deaf mute person in charge in the military who could only communicate with one other person in the entire base. And the only thing they did with it? Built stupid tension in a scene where she's being followed by a ghost dragging an axe on the ground. When she thinks something is following her, what does she do? She stops, bends down, touches the ground and thinks about it for a while before realizing there was a ghost right behind her. Instead of what? Just turning around and taking a 0.05 second glance. Dumb.

Last edited:
I sort of take your point, but, she bent down pretending to tie her shoe (i thought) so as not to let the ghost know what she was doing, felt the vibration and then acted.

You can find plenty of things at that level going back to probably the very first episode in 1963...sometimes, you just gotta let it go and get over it. Being in the military doesn't make you a necessarily a soldier. Plenty of scientists and (these days) computer nerds in there as well. They wouldn't care if she was deaf and swore at everyone she saw if she could hack russia and china, etc, for example. These days it's very much becoming more of what you CAN do as opposed to what you can't.

You can find plenty of things at that level going back to probably the very first episode in 1963...sometimes, you just gotta let it go and get over it. Being in the military doesn't make you a necessarily a soldier. Plenty of scientists and (these days) computer nerds in there as well. They wouldn't care if she was deaf and swore at everyone she saw if she could hack russia and china, etc, for example. These days it's very much becoming more of what you CAN do as opposed to what you can't.

That's true, to a degree, but to actually be in the military you still have to meet certain physical and mental standards, no matter how good you are at what you do. About the only exception to this would be members of the Marine Corps Band who don't actually have to go through boot camp and only receive the most basic of military training but even then they still have to meet certain physical standards. In the case of these two episodes, it's possible that the deaf lady is not in the military but does work for the military, either as a civilian contractor directly employed by whatever branch of service is running the operation or as a civilian employee of the MoD.

While I am not on board with everything this new Doctor does, I very much loved the broken 4th wall lecture on the bootstrap paradox! I hope there is a bit more of that in the future.

I also like his tendency to say something akin to 'But what's the real question?', almost as if he is asking it of the viewing audience (of course he is, it's a TV show).

The minute I saw the deaf woman, I knew it was to serve a plot purpose. Sure enough, her character was put there to lip read.

I also love Missy. The actress can deliver the goods with the smallest lines.

Doctor: "Gravity"
Missy: "I know"

I will continue to follow the show with great interest.

It's lines like that 'the real question' that (to me anyhow) are throwbacks to the original episodes. I can recall Troughton, and Baker both knowing answers and trying to teach their companions/etc to see the answers for themselves. Something that's been missing in the newer episodes IMO.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back