Black Widow from Avengers Costume Help!!!

Lady Avenger

Hello guys :)
As you can see I'm a newbie here and so, this is my first post :p

So, right to the point, I'm planning on making Black Widow Cosplay from Avengers, I fell in love with her costume at the first sight and the character too :3

the-avengers-black-widow-01.jpg

So, I've made so many searching about her costume's main fabric! And all I got was spandex! I'm not sure if this is the right one but many people say that it's this one... And I would like to know what's your opinion... :/

Also, I've already ordered the wig, I'm going to style it myself :) there's no such a good wig on Ebay so I think the only way to get a good one is making our own...

Another thing that I'm having trouble is... the belt! Not the one with Widow's symbol but the other one holding the holsters... I've searched everywhere to get something similiar and I got nothing... Plus I'm trying to find a pair of Cheap Holsters and the best I got was about 12.99$ each one... It's not expensive but it's not the best quality and two of them makes 24.99$ :/

Adjustable Waterproof Tactical Puttee Thigh Leg Pistol Gun Holster Pouch Hot | eBay

So, if you know any place or anyone that sells these things, I would appreciate very much if you tell me! I'm searching someone or somewhere that makes the belt and the holsters like this:
205261_10150996945080479_548393587_n.jpg

I know the person who did this doesn't sell it which is a lame :/
So, I need help with this things... Anything, please tell me :)

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Muffin

So it looks to me to be a combination of a riggers belt and what looks like safariland serpa holsters for the glock 36, the real ones are expensive. but i found you these.

left side:
BLACKHAWK SERPA CQC Holster for Glock 17/22 , ATP ( Black / Left

Right side:
BLACKHAWK SERPA CQC Holster for Glock 17/22 , ATP ( Black / Right

you will need both, here is the only problem, while the holsters are made for the glock 22 you maybe able to get away with using 22's instead of her 26's from the movie. the 26's are 3/4 of inch shorter on the barrel, a full 1 1/2 inch shorter on the lower frame (handgrip). my opinion stick with the 22's they will be comfortable for your hand, and honestly who will know the difference other than us gun nuts. as for the belt.

belt recommendations:
Condor / OE TECH Universal Pistol Belt ( L/XL , BLK ) by: OE TECH

its hard to find that exact belt as the metal buckle style is very hard to find but i think the above will keep the stream lined tactical look that black widow employs.

best of luck hope it helps

Thank you very much for the help! I really appreciate that :)
Yeah, I agree about the gun :D doesn't really matter that small difference.
I know, I think the belt should be handmade... maybe if I buy a simple belt with a buckle similiar to hers and make the utility pouches with craft foam might work... now, the holsters are really expensive... I found those on ebay (on the main thread), they're not exactly like hers but spending almost 80$ on that, doesn't makes sense to me :/ but I really apreciated your help ^^ I just have to look at things that are worth it :)

And about the costume fabric? Do you agree with spandex? Or anything else?
Thank you again ;)

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Muffin

For the belt with the Cobra buckle you can also try 215 Gear (215 GEAR STORE). They sell a tactical belt with that uses a Cobra buckle, which is the buckle in the pic that you included. I don't see it listed on their website but if you contact them directly they are pretty good about getting back with you. One thing to think about is that the belt they sell is intended to be worn as a basic belt, but you may be able to use it for your costume.

honestly i dont think spandex is the right choice for her get up, either pleather or lycra, spandex might be a little to shiny and plasticy looking. (if thats a word)

Go to an air sorf web site u should b able to pick up copies of those holsters much cheaper, search "cheap air soft" as some places are more expensive than others.

I did an Avengers cap using a stretch cotton/Spandex pique that I picked up at Hancock. I ended up getting it on sale too, for under $3 a yard, so it was even cheap enough to mock-up in the same fabric.
It was this one. It has a nice texture to it that is similar to what you see in the film. Not perfect, but better than a lot of them. I'm pretty sure her's is actually a screen printed, lightweight neoprene.

http://www.hancockfabrics.com/Pique...VproductId147752574VVcatId81850VVviewprod.htm

I recently saw those leg buckles on a flying harness for our Peter Pan at work... Not that that helps, but I know they exist.

Last edited:
For the belt with the Cobra buckle you can also try 215 Gear (215 GEAR STORE). They sell a tactical belt with that uses a Cobra buckle, which is the buckle in the pic that you included. I don't see it listed on their website but if you contact them directly they are pretty good about getting back with you. One thing to think about is that the belt they sell is intended to be worn as a basic belt, but you may be able to use it for your costume.

Thank you very much for the help :)

honestly i dont think spandex is the right choice for her get up, either pleather or lycra, spandex might be a little to shiny and plasticy looking. (if thats a word)

yeah I know... I'm so uncertain about the fabrics :/ but thanks for the advice :) well, but it also depends on the type of spandex... I found this type
100__Cotton_Spandex_Twilled_Fabric.jpg

which is Cotton Spandex and it kinda looks like hers... or maybe neoprene
7802777-close-up-detail-of-neoprene.jpg

God, the fabric is always the hardest thing on making costumes...
Still, there's another point that we must pay atention... her costume color! On these HQ images we can see the true color of her costume... it does seems black on the movie but in reality it's a dark blue (I've put the images in attachments)

Thank you again for your help ^^

I did an Avengers cap using a stretch cotton/Spandex pique that I picked up at Hancock. I ended up getting it on sale too, for under $3 a yard, so it was even cheap enough to mock-up in the same fabric.
It was this one. It has a nice texture to it that is similar to what you see in the film. Not perfect, but better than a lot of them. I'm pretty sure her's is actually a screen printed, lightweight neoprene.

I recently saw those leg buckles on a flying harness for our Peter Pan at work... Not that that helps, but I know they exist.

Really? Nice :) humm... I think you forgot to attach the file on your reply x) at least I didn't receive it :/
I've made some searches and yeah, that fabric is quite better than many of them... You know what? My last research on her fabric was exactly neoprene... I've never heard that name before honestly, but it really looks like hers... I hope I can find it here for cheap... But I think neoprene is a good choice :) thanks for the big help!

use that fabric that you found but then do something out of the ordinary for her costume and make the border parts around the zipper be pleather or real leather to give that two tone blue and black look.

Really? Nice :) humm... I think you forgot to attach the file on your reply x) at least I didn't receive it :/
I've made some searches and yeah, that fabric is quite better than many of them... You know what? My last research on her fabric was exactly neoprene... I've never heard that name before honestly, but it really looks like hers... I hope I can find it here for cheap... But I think neoprene is a good choice :) thanks for the big help!

Fixed! Totally missed that I didn't link it... Ah well.

You can also overdye this in blue to give a tint to it. It takes dye very well.

Just FYI Seeing a lot of terminology bandied about in this thread. Spandex and Lycra are the same thing. One is the generic name of the other.

Neoprene is commonly used in wetsuits and is typically made up of layers of foam sandwiched between lycra.

yeah I know... I'm so uncertain about the fabrics :/ but thanks for the advice :) well, but it also depends on the type of spandex... I found this type
100__Cotton_Spandex_Twilled_Fabric.jpg

which is Cotton Spandex and it kinda looks like hers... or maybe neoprene
7802777-close-up-detail-of-neoprene.jpg

God, the fabric is always the hardest thing on making costumes...
Still, there's another point that we must pay atention... her costume color! On these HQ images we can see the true color of her costume... it does seems black on the movie but in reality it's a dark blue (I've put the images in attachments)

Thank you again for your help ^^

Another option you may consider; having some fabric dyed to match color and pattern from the movie suit. After searching for 6 months + and not finding it, I had to do this for my Avengers Hawkeye pants fabric.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back