Batman V Superman Batarang

Haha I was going to suggest that too.

The slicing of the XYZware Pro kind of sucks at times... It doesn't appear to want to setup the supports on this correctly when standing straight up. Of course Im a total newb at this so its possible Im just doing everything wrong... Going to tweak the settings a few different ways and see if I can it going.

Hi reznor, which file are you using?

I print as many things as I can on a flat surface. Don't get sucked into thinking you have to print everything out whole.

Whatever file you are using, try slicing it completely in half horizontally. Then you will have a fully flat back to print out on.

I would suggest using a pritt stick (the one that came with my Da Vinci worked really well, so I bought a whole bunch of them, very cheap) and covering the area that you will be printing. This helps to prevent warping.

The da vinci software is fine for good basic work like this provided you do a bit of pre model work - a program that is very useful is Netfabb Basic - download that, and it will let you modify and cut your models (and fix them for any small issues) for free.

Remember, ABS is great for post process. It can be melted down or smoothed with acetone, and you can then sand that down again.

Always remember that printing is a great way to get a quick base for a prop, and never expect perfect finished results - unrealistic expectations are usually what put people off printing when they start :thumbsup

Last edited:
Do you still make these? I also do volunteer Dark Knight appearances and I have been looking for a source to get several dozen made for our hospital visits.

- - - Updated - - -

Lightslinger, do they have to be Batman Versus Superman batarangs? I have 21 plastic Dark Knight batarangs that you could have. I was experimenting with colors curing processes and made a bunch just playing around. I've attached a picture of them. Let me know if you want them, it's for a good cause... children should have Batman toys...

View attachment 529584
Do you still make these? I also do volunteer Dark Knight appearances and I have been looking for a source to get several dozen made for our hospital visits.

Sorry for the double post, on mobile.

I have a model of this batarang on Shapeways that could be printed in stainless steel. There are two problems with that though. First, it is really, really expensive. Second, it would come out rough, kind of like cast stainless steel. You would have to do a lot of sanding/grinding and polishing to get it to look like the real ones. As far as machining, it's more complicated that it first appears. The blading on the upper wings is tricky to get right.

In the reviews it said it's only 1/16 thick. It' looks thicker in the picture, but it's hard to tell. It says it's made of Metal Alloy, not sure what that means. Some alloys of steel rust, so it's kind of important what alloy it's made of.

Yeah I was always under the impression that the movie batarangs were quite small from the pictures I've seen. Been looking for an accurate metal version a while here now.

I've been printing mine small all this time. I just printed up a set at about 7.75 inches and they just feel massive. Look cool though.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back