EFX DARTH VADER ANH PCR HELMETS (SPECIAL and STANDARD EDITIONS)

Hard to choose with so many great lids out there. I ordered an ESB Quasi for my ESB groove, but lucked up on a nice Stone casting as well for a great price on the SLD.
I actually sold off some Fett props to fund some of my Vader addiction. But I would have to say that with Such Limited amount of options it can cause one with the ANH bug to dig deeper for accuracy sake.

Last edited:
I'm still excited for this helmet and my offer still stans to review one for the RPF on my YouTube channel, if you send a sample my way.

As the one who sculpted Quasimodo, I feel that erroneous statements have been made about it and about me.

Quasimodo was a journey. The initial journey might have been a "rebuild" of a warped GH ANH, but categorizing it competitively as a "rebuild" ignores the fact that once the initial restoration had been achieved, I took it well beyond in an arduous journey of not only completely transforming the structure but sculpting significant original material to where, dimensionally, it has absolutely no resemblance to the starting point. It's like an ancient city that got buried under sand, and over time a new civilization was built over it. That new city has it's own design.

There is no art if there is no journey. Ignoring the original work invested into sculpting Quasimodo is unfortunate if not a deliberate action, but I have struggled over the years for my efforts to be recognized by a community with a strong "lineage" bias. But some cannot or will not see that. Some don't have a grid for this level of extensivity and investment.

What differentiates Quasimodo from other helmets is this: whereas Darth Ugly is a helmet replica, Quasimodo is a sculpture. The artistic intention and creativity to find the emotion and presence of the character is embodied by the physical product now owned by Bookface (and as a side note, I'm not part of Bookface's business, so all these subtle jabs of me making money off the side is wishful thinking, particular on my part!) It is that endeavor that characterizes the journey. There is no art from a fine arts perspective when the process is merely replication. Quaismodo as a journey is to inject fan passion and love, and to once again get in touch with a childhood fascination, and to have that endearing wonder endure in an object wrought by artists hands. Very few prop replicas have any kind of "soul". An art piece that is a byproduct of an artist's own personal journey - that is a different category some may not perceive or understand, but is, in essence what Quasimodo is.

I wish eFX and Gino well, but I would understand why he has said the things he has said. He has held a dominant position in the mindshare of the community, and the community is quickly forming a different opinion of which Gino is responsible, and no amount of assailing my work or insinuations against me will change that. But I will support Gino and go buy a PCR if my budget allows it.

Well said, nice to see a civil response to a discussion that has turned into a childish bashing between just a few people... Like when a teacher steps into a schoolyard fight...

What makes it worse to me is that it's always from some implied super tippy-top secret reference material that OOOOONLY he has....but is absolutely not going to share in any way whatsoever with ANYONE else...because reasons. IF it's not just all bull****, that attitude seems utterly antithetical to the whole hobby.

To be fair, there are gentlemen agreements amongst prop collectors; and you either keep your word/integrity and honor them, or you throw yourself under the bus and derail any friendships/relationships you may have made with other prop makers.

It's up to you to decide if you're going to believe the "top secret reference material".

Well I'm glad one of us has that kind of clarity... I'm still debating between getting an eFX, a Quasimodo, or a Brian Muir... or holding out for the elusive SL or TM Vader helmets...

Gino's assertions aside, I'm not convinced it's the *best* Vader helmet out there... the best licensed helmet without a doubt... but odds are I'm only getting one bucket and I want to be sure about which one I get... :confused

I have Had the Darth Ugly, and currently own the TM ESB, SL ANH, and my PCR EFX came today...

Here's my take. If you can only have ONE... you want the SL if ANH is your thing... and TM ESB is ESB is your thing. Then I'd rank EFX and Quasimodo similarly. Crazy? Well, the EFX is so watered down, aside from the basic shape, you're missing all of the details that really make the SL and TM special. With the SL or TM You can SEE and FEEL everything you see on screen. It's nuts. The Quasi is sculpted so well, it's completely got the proper look. So does the EFX, but the Quasi is less expensive and has a LOT of passion behind it and I would personally put it above the EFX for that reason among others.

If budget is the name of the game, the EFX PCR is fantastic. It's got the shape... and looks great considering the price. Plus you can wear it straight away. A little paint and it can look top notch. The Ugly is great too, but at the bottom end of the price range a repaint EFX PCR is hard to beat.

Since I kind of got brought up...I have to say I laughed and laughed when I read Gino's criticisms. Not only was he completely wrong on certain details, his claim that the Quasimodo helmet didn't even belong in the top 10 was just that: Laughable. He has a history of bashing anything that doesn't conform to his own views or competes with his own products, so it's become difficult to take him seriously. As you've correctly observed, he only ever bashes unlicensed stuff, but he will do this whether his own competing product is licensed or not. I'm sure if the Anovos Vader was unlicensed he'd be bashing that, but I suspect that LFL/Disney would have Views on him bashing a fellow licensee.

If you want to call my helmet inferior to a direct mould pull then feel free. In some respects you may be right, though of course the extent of the clean up should be taken into account. It's less direct than eFX would have you believe. However a number of people have sold their eFX helmets to buy mine, and those with the chance to compare them directly have said that Quasimodo makes the eFX helmet look like a toy. I distinctly remember when MR was producing lightsabers, and guys here and elsewhere were producing their own, unlicensed versions. Everyone seemed to think they were comparable, why is it different now?

I agree with you that the Anovos business model leaves something to be desired, however your complaints seem to be based mainly on the fact that you don't see them being hounded as much as eFX about it. The model that they have chosen is essentially crowdfunding, the nature of which is that initially it can be difficult to see where the money is going. Are they using the money from one product to fund another, as you put it? Certainly possible, but as long as they are aware of their funding levels and financial capabilities, what does it matter? This is how business works; money comes in, money goes out. If the money coming in exceeds the money going out, you have a successful business. Where the funds are allocated is up to the people in charge. Would you like them to publish their accounts?

I'll be quite candid, I don't really follow Anovos. I'm unaware of what their waiting times are like, because I'm not really a costumer, I like props. I did get the TK, and yes, I waited patiently for it. Delays happen, but there was always an updated date for when they expected them to ship. eFX seem to have had a really rough time with the biker scout helmet, and it's their total lack of communication that has had them raked over the coals, rather than the delay exactly. The fact that they seem to have had a somewhat relaxed attitude to both the delays and the communication hasn't helped. I saw a video with Brian of eFX actually making a joke about some new product, and how 'knowing us' he said, it was scheduled for 2016 but would probably actually be 2018. True perhaps, but ill advised.

And maybe I missed something, but why are you asking for a breakdown of costs of manufacturing injection moulded plastic?

eFX simply ruined their Vader simply by excessive cleaning ....they cleaned out his soul. Thats why even fanmade helmets or helmets with less superior pedigree look so much better if you handle them both. I only had the limited and indeed it looks like a toy....even my old SPFX helmet looks better with a proper paint job...thats why i sold it. I've also seen many Legend Helmets in hand and they never were on the same good level as many of the authentic casts which we have within the scene. The eFX might be interested for a collector because it will increase a lot in its worth but not because its the best available. If you want something looking great and close to the real deal i would suggest any day to buy a Quasimodo ...not because of the original cast he come from but because what was made out of this cast.

eFX simply ruined their Vader simply by excessive cleaning ....they cleaned out his soul. Thats why even fanmade helmets or helmets with less superior pedigree look so much better if you handle them both. I only had the limited and indeed it looks like a toy....even my old SPFX helmet looks better with a proper paint job...thats why i sold it. I've also seen many Legend Helmets in hand and they never were on the same good level as many of the authentic casts which we have within the scene. The eFX might be interested for a collector because it will increase a lot in its worth but not because its the best available. If you want something looking great and close to the real deal i would suggest any day to buy a Quasimodo ...not because of the original cast he come from but because what was made out of this cast.

This is precisely why i have ordered a Quasi ANH V2, it just captures everything i remember and felt about ANH Vader the way that the licensed helmets just can't and don't.

Rich

I love my TD/SL combo.......It has that look......

IMG_0212_zpskjgcdeti.jpg

IMG_0211_zpstvcql434.jpg

Oh, man... What I don't know about the Vader lid fills every thread on the forum. If I start searching to determine what these acronyms mean I have a feeling I'll fall down a rabbit hole I may never get out of... :behave

Last edited:
Oh, man... What I don't know about the Vader lid fills every thread on the subject. If I start searching to determine what these acronyms mean I have a feeling I'll fall down a rabbit hole I may not get out of... :behave

Good warning....Turn back now!!!!

Though mostly due to the scarcity of them being available you'll just get worked up over nothing. But if you ever DO get the chance to purchase one, consider yourself a very lucky fella...

Bookface - well said! The "rivet counters" get so wrapped up in pointing out all the (perceived) flaws in a piece that they loose site of the art and soul of it. It's like looking at the painting of the Mona Lisa and thinking "a photograph of her would have been better".

It's like looking at the painting of the Mona Lisa and thinking "a photograph of her would have been better".

And in fact it would. Painting was the technic of that time to keep a moment on a picture, if Leo would have invented the camera at that time, pretty sure her image would have been on a photo. :)

Additional - it sounds like you think there is no art in taking photos.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back