RA-7 (Death Star Droid) Build

I've been working on my RA-7 droid head for a while now. It's almost done so I figured it's time to share.

RPF is too distracting from my work day so I don't check mail here often. If you have any questions please email me at my faceook page.
https://www.facebook.com/GTProps
THANKS!

jpeg.jpg10544275_1455118284754589_1208625504_n.jpg10540294_1442317246048520_1038273579_n.jpg10502625_491203574349526_376471743_n.jpg10369393_329290807238775_265060416_n.jpg10553973_596555357132566_1491280336_n.jpg8719848461_d29765346c_k.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
i watched your vid a while back, you did a great job on it. well done

whats your painting process on the plating?

Last edited:
i watched your vid a while back, you did a great job on it. well done

whats your painting process on the plating?

Thanks! I'm using Alclad chrome over some polished, cheap black krylon spray paint for the finish. It's cheap and easy but it only comes out nice if it's done correctly. Otherwise it looks farty.

just going by memory didn't you use white as a base coat for the 3po helmets?

why did you go black now?

just going by memory didn't you use white as a base coat for the 3po helmets?

why did you go black now?

Both black or white base coats are good but give a slightly different looks.
I did the white initially because I was doing my Threepio to look like E-3PO from esb which looks more aluminum. Reflections are just as good but the darks are a little less contrasty with the white base coat. I've been experimenting with some different greys as well but black is what I had on hand so I went with it. Came out pretty good so I'll keep it.
I actually did a video someplace with tests of both the black and white base coats side by side to show the differences. I'll look for it in a bit.

Both black or white base coats are good but give a slightly different looks.
I did the white initially because I was doing my Threepio to look like E-3PO from esb which looks more aluminum. Reflections are just as good but the darks are a little less contrasty with the white base coat. I've been experimenting with some different greys as well but black is what I had on hand so I went with it. Came out pretty good so I'll keep it.
I actually did a video someplace with tests of both the black and white base coats side by side to show the differences. I'll look for it in a bit.

cool i would like to see that, i'm pretty sure i tried it years ago and it didn't turn out great, i even used the alclad gloss black they make, which didn't seem to help.

cool i would like to see that, i'm pretty sure i tried it years ago and it didn't turn out great, i even used the alclad gloss black they make, which didn't seem to help.
Yeah, just painting then putting down alclad doesn't work so hot. I wet sand the base coat with 1200 then polish it with polishing compound and it comes out better.
I also buff the alclad into the base coat after it's applied, which works even better with a little heat and makes the finish hold up surprisingly well. The silver leg on my Threepio hardly shows any wear after a year of handlers taking it on and off and being toted all over the place.

Here's a test from a while back, done over white with a little bit more polishing. Comes out pretty nice I think.

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks for the vid and the info, can you explain your use of the heat? e.g. when you apply the heat and what with.
cheers

-z

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back