Fallout New Vegas: NCR Veteran Ranger Build WIP

connormwood

I'm building my first costume for The RPF, as this is my first Thread! Anyway its not like you guys haven’t seen this build before, however it will be modified a little just to make it easier on myself. I don’t have access to all the fancy equipment I have seen around this forum. This is going to be a first for me with a lot of materials and procedures.
I chose this build because I am a massive fan of the "Fallout" series and the rangers from New Vegas are something everybody can recognize when they seem one. I was really interested in using polystyrene plastic and foam, as they seemed extremely useful. I decided that this would be a great learning experience and I really hope it goes well!

Fallout New Vegas: NCR Veteran Ranger Build WIP (starting the helmet)

I started with the helmet before the body armor. The initial step was to use a classic pepakura file to build a cardstock copy of the mask. This will serve as a base that I can use to base my styrene copy around. After this step I'll build the styrene cutouts.

Last edited:
Now that I have learned how to post full size images...

ncr_veteran_ranger_by_helljumpergrif-d35jklq.jpeg

DSC00153copy.jpg

DSC00152copy.jpg

DSC00151copy.jpg

DSC00149copy.jpg

I had to cut out another set of pepakura images in order to trace them on to a .030" styrene sheet.
DSC00178copy.jpg

I glued the images onto the sheet so they would not move when I traced them.
DSC00177copy.jpg

I was able to cut out the styrene with scissors because it was so thin! This made it so I would be able to recut out any shapes that I ruined. I highly suggest buying 0.030" styrene if anyone else wants to carry out this build.
DSC00245copy.jpg

Last edited:
I've cut the cutouts in order to make them fit with more a jagged look, but with the flexibility of the plastic I don't think it was necessary. I put the pieces together with tape, but I will later glue them together.

DSC00250copy.jpg

DSC00252copy.jpg

These were taken after I had took a painstaking amount of time to individually superglue each of the seams together.
DSC00258.jpg

DSC00257.jpg

Last edited:
Me supergluing some of the parts on the mouth piece of the helmet:

DSC002491.jpg

The helmet is taking its shape, but I had to cut out a large amount of my own modified pieces in order to make it all fit together correctly.

DSC002501.jpg

DSC002521.jpg

DSC00255.jpg

Thanks for the comment, you are the first!

Indeed, my friend. I love everything about this charactor. I'll be especially interested when you get to the jacket. I was thinking about making a similar jacket, but I'd like to see how others go about it. Keep us updated with this build!

I was stuck on the eyes for a while but got them figured out.
Im almost done with the eye frames but still need to get some lenses.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back