What does your Workshop/Workspace look like?

I've been actually working on my workshop for the past year and been planning on doing one for several years.

A few years ago when the stock market was crap and everyone was selling, I started buying, then last year sold all my holdings and used the money I made from it to pay for the actual building that would house the workshop.
View attachment 203800
View attachment 203801

Very Nice! Makes mine look like crap, lol. I also really like your rattle can rack.

I'm not posting pics of mine until it's finished. Right now there isn't much to look at, because there's so much debris in there from the construction process that it looks like a tornado hit it. :lol

But since my last workshop was a 12'x10' room in the basement of my old house, I kind of want to do the 550 sqft. workshop in my new house a little justice... know what I mean? ;)

Same here, working on finding a place for everything and getting organized. I should be finished in the next few weeks.

Very Nice! Makes mine look like crap, lol. I also really like your rattle can rack.

Thank you very much, glad people are liking the paint rack, hope those that do end up using that idea. I love this thread because it has given me ideas for things I can do in my shop as well.

Thank you very much, glad people are liking the paint rack, hope those that do end up using that idea. I love this thread because it has given me ideas for things I can do in my shop as well.

Yeah, I was also thinking of hanging it on the wall and thought that it would be easy enough to glue a few caps on the backside of the pipes in the corners and then drive a mounting screw though it into the wall. Just thought I would share the little mod I was thinking of.

Yeah, I was also thinking of hanging it on the wall and thought that it would be easy enough to glue a few caps on the backside of the pipes in the corners and then drive a mounting screw though it into the wall. Just thought I would share the little mod I was thinking of.

That was my original plan, hanging it on the well. Didn't think about using caps to keep it off the wall, was going to just leave those 4 tubes a bit long. The cap idea is better though (might need to leave those 4 pieces of pipe a bit long still) since it provides as easy way to screw it to the wall.

So, it has been quiet here. I want to see MORE!
screaming-smiley-emoticon.gif

Ha ... well here you go ... my workshop/kitchentable ... I like my fruit and snacks closeby ... in case I completely lose track of time ... making alterations to either my Rancor or work on other lightsaber props and projects :

-Chaim

Sym-Cha: Very cozy, I like it! Kitchen tables are the first step in prop/model-building evolution.

Carson: Ah yes, your workspace brings me back to the early 90's where my shop consisted of an old metal desk and makeshift shelves in the tiny utility room next to the kitchen. Of course, your set-up looks way more advanced than mine ever was. You did a great job in utilizing and organizing the area you have. :thumbsup

My new workshop has progressed very quickly from "hole in the ground" to nearly finished! The inside walls are done, the electrician will be coming back next week to fit the strip lights, the back door is coming for fitting on Monday and the outside will be rendered. Then it's down to me to paint everything and start moving everything back from storage ... should keep me quiet for a while!!

IMG_3588.JPG

IMG_3594.JPG

Well I have been following this thread for a while now and I have seen some inspirational workshops and ideas. I am at a point now where I can share my workshop. Unfortunately, it is not 100% finished as I have some more thing I am working on now and more plans that I will be implementing in the future. My first goal and the biggest step was to build the shop and get it to where it is a good functional space. I am almost there. I still have some more organizing and cleaning to do, not to mention some more outlets to run and then some drywall patching, lol.

In order to completely finish the shop I will be building more storage, making a computer desk (don't laugh at the make-shift desk I am using now ;) ), looking into various types of hooks and racks, and getting the finishing touches like some comfortable chairs/sofa and a decent TV of course.

So this whole project started as a need for a climate controlled space for me to store my supplies and do my prop building, mold making, and casting. I live in Houston, TX so it gets a little chilly in the winter and pretty hot in the summer. This wide range of temps can make cure time a pain to work with so I had to do something. Instead of getting or building a whole separate shed in the backyard I elected to erect a wall in my garage. So here are a couple before pics of my mess... I mean garage where I used to work and a some after pics. Also, follow this link to see pics of the whole process. I need to take a few pictures of the Garage space that is left on the other side where we have all the lawn care stuff, bikes, and kids other ride on toys.

My Garage Workshop Build

So here are a couple before pics of my mess... I mean garage where I used to work and a some after pics.

Wow Mike, you've made some good progress and it looks really nice so far! I must applaud your decision for adding some slat-wall in there, it's so much more usefull than pegboard. I wanted to use it in my shop, but it just wasn't quite cost effective enough for the type of walls I have.

I had to chuckle at your first photo, because it's almost exactly how my shop looks now. How long did it take you to get your current level of organization? I'm thinking it'll take me at least 3 months to coordinate all of my tools and such after everything's built. :lol

Wow Mike, you've made some good progress and it looks really nice so far! I must applaud your decision for adding some slat-wall in there, it's so much more usefull than pegboard. I wanted to use it in my shop, but it just wasn't quite cost effective enough for the type of walls I have.

I had to chuckle at your first photo, because it's almost exactly how my shop looks now. How long did it take you to get your current level of organization? I'm thinking it'll take me at least 3 months to coordinate all of my tools and such after everything's built. :lol

Yeah, it wasn't quite as messy and disorganized as the first picture indicates. We had to make room to build the wall so everything got pushed into the big pile, lol. It has taken me a couple months for the whole project. I have to do it in my spare time and I have also been trying to keep up with my JunkYard orders at the same time. Building that wall was a lot more work than I initially thought. Maybe if I wasn't doing it by myself and if I had a week with nothing else to do then it would have gotten done faster and would have probably seemed like less work. Although, my statement about doing it myself is not entirely true, I had a friend helping me frame it and my wife was around if I needed help lifting or holding something in place.

I got a lot of the stuff for free including the slatwall and all those boxes on top of the lockers are black hooks and shelf supports for the slatwall that I got with it. I got all the stainless counters for free. I also had some electricians run an electrical sub-panel, and a bunch of outlets, lights, etc so I would have plenty of power. I got their work for free I just had to pay for the parts. That took pretty much a whole day. The light fixtures I have up right now were also free. Still this project is approaching $1,000. By the time I finish it will probably be somewhere in between $1,500 to $2,000. But that is mostly for the remaining cabinets and desk that I still need to build.

So yeah, the slatwall doesn't look it's best cause it is second hand and the stainless counters are not new and shiny but everything works and serves it's purpose. I am so glad I got the slatwall panels too. It made finishing that side of the wall so much easier. I didn't have to drywall at all and I could just cut a big long slot in the far wall to run all the wire for the outlets we added there and then just cover it up with the slatwall. It will also be real nice when I get around to organizing and hanging my props on the wall since I have no idea how I am gonna set all that up just yet.

As far as organizing my stuff... it is still pretty scattered. I need to go through it all and decide where I want to put everything. Pretty much all I have done so far after I finished the wall and cabinets is a clean sweep. Sorting my stuff into areas based on what it was and throwing away trash and stuff I though I was gonna use but never did and still could but probably wont. That was the hard part cause I know that in a month I am going to need something I just threw away and wish that I hadn't. Anyways, I spent a couple days on that so far. I think that it is not hard to organize stuff by trying to predict what you are going to use in what part of the shop. It doesn't take much time to sort through everything. However, predictions are not always right and I may end up changing my mind and moving stuff around again so in that aspect it could take some time to get everything just right.

Anyways, if you are interested in slatwall and you don't mind second hand stuff then check your local Craigslist or similar service. I got this off a store that was doing a remodel. I just had to go and take it off the wall. I had a friends help with that cause some of the only panels that were left were 15 feet up on the wall. The lower panels had already been picked clean. Then a week later I saw another store that was doing the same thing... I didn't need any more of it though. I was thinking of doing the whole room but it does tend to make the room feel a little smaller so I decided against it.

Hello ppl!
I'm trying to recreate the workshop from the movie Iron Man 1 & 2 and I was wondering if anyone have the blueprints or something that might help recreating that movie set.

WOW Mike. That is a great looking space. The slat board walls are a particularly genius touch! I am hoping to clean out the garage soon so I can make it a functional space...

Well I have been following this thread for a while now and I have seen some inspirational workshops and ideas. I am at a point now where I can share my workshop. Unfortunately, it is not 100% finished as I have some more thing I am working on now and more plans that I will be implementing in the future. My first goal and the biggest step was to build the shop and get it to where it is a good functional space. I am almost there. I still have some more organizing and cleaning to do, not to mention some more outlets to run and then some drywall patching, lol.

In order to completely finish the shop I will be building more storage, making a computer desk (don't laugh at the make-shift desk I am using now ;) ), looking into various types of hooks and racks, and getting the finishing touches like some comfortable chairs/sofa and a decent TV of course.

So this whole project started as a need for a climate controlled space for me to store my supplies and do my prop building, mold making, and casting. I live in Houston, TX so it gets a little chilly in the winter and pretty hot in the summer. This wide range of temps can make cure time a pain to work with so I had to do something. Instead of getting or building a whole separate shed in the backyard I elected to erect a wall in my garage. So here are a couple before pics of my mess... I mean garage where I used to work and a some after pics. Also, follow this link to see pics of the whole process. I need to take a few pictures of the Garage space that is left on the other side where we have all the lawn care stuff, bikes, and kids other ride on toys.

My Garage Workshop Build

[url]https://blufiles.storage.live.com/y2pbAHlPzP5-bFmz385Hg_vTmXTX0SuzUKhA2BJPUiDzfwE45CwdGkdu3tO6imE-kI5EEeHbWc0J1L_tFOtue4FcA/IMG_20130609_180738_606.jpg?psid=1[/url] [url]https://blufiles.storage.live.com/y2pMvN5tnVtRAW3lC-7e4bXxTpAZ-mFrmsB9W-hfL1d2yCQ9M273L3m_yadW62Cb1O5LmcFb-vrMQOVEC3R4FudrA/IMG_20130609_180816_900.jpg?psid=1[/url]

[url]https://vii69q.blu.livefilestore.com/y2pf2DlIzOmEDaw9ssRoqrhQirseVUps_aPpN8Opv_Tc9fI9FvUgTpz6thqgOtoZn0C8u6TpKoZIIoEanjkhzWvBVsGC3b9sLywvkPjI9Bi5s4/7-29-2013%201-51-58%20PM.png?psid=1[/url]

Hello ppl!
I'm trying to recreate the workshop from the movie Iron Man 1 & 2 and I was wondering if anyone have the blueprints or something that might help recreating that movie set.

I had wanted to do a prop room like that but the workshop took priority. I even tracked down the same monitor arms that he uses in IM2 to hold up the glass monitors. I watched ebay for about a year and a half and finally found them at a good price so I snagged them. However, I am having the hardest time finding a stainless table/desk to match.

Anyways, to answer your question. I have seen some 3D models of the architecture in his garage. That would probably help you out. The layout of the garage changes depending on what movie/scene you are looking at. I have collected quite a few pictures I could share with you as well.

If anyone knows where I can get a semi circular stainless or aluminum table/desk like Tony has in IM2 then let me know. ;)

WOW Mike. That is a great looking space. The slat board walls are a particularly genius touch! I am hoping to clean out the garage soon so I can make it a functional space...

Thank you. Yeah, I was lucky to get those... I was actually browsing Craigslist for some cabinets that I had hopped I would find for free and then stumbled across the slatwall and ideas just started flying across the room, bouncing off the walls, and coming right back at my head. lol I am glad I found them. That stuff is expensive so there is no way I could have afforded to buy it new.

Last edited:
Hello, thought I would add in my meager accommodations. I am just getting started and was finally able to expand from a little work corner in the living room to a balcony work table that I built for $12. Working outside is far from ideal, but I don't really have a choice. Working in the wind and having to pack everything up and bring it inside every night is a pain, but the props must flow! The bench was fun to make and I had a lot of plans to also make shelves, hanging racks, waterproofing measures and retractable spray-booth walls. Unfortunately the landlord is not thrilled and only barely let me keep it, let alone add a bunch of "eyesores", so I am making do with what you see and am not planning for a long-term operation. Budget is also a big hurdle right now... but all your posts are inspirational for my next work space :)

20130701_212740.jpg 20130704_122113.jpg 20130801_183739.jpg

As I have come late into the work of propmaking but have lurked in the realms of model (wargame) painting, my 'workshop' is split into two areas.

The first is indoors, where I do my hand painting and building.

Paint Desk.jpg

The second is in the garage, where I do my airbrushing and anything to do with moulding and casting. The spray booth is built from scratch and does a reasonable job.

Spray Booth.jpg

Both these photos show my working areas in unnatural states of cleanliness and should in no way lead the reader to think they look anything like that at the moment. GRIN.

Cheers,

geomod

Man I have the complete opposite problem to all you guys. I have heaps of space, but little enthusiasm. I'm a half-finished project guy.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back