CATWOMAN (batman returns style) enquiry

I think I worked out why the grit sticks to her corset :) Leather tends to resist things sticking to it unless it is already tacky and the grit wasn't, you can see how it slides off. The latex suit was oiled to get it as super shiny on screen, already knew that, but there is a shot of Michelle getting her boots brushed presumably with oil also in one of the behind the scenes thingies and I suspect they did that for her corset too. It makes sense as the corset and boots are very glossy in many shots despite much evidence off screen that they were both made of leather.

I am going for the look of the film, most people will remember her as glossy from toe to head, I'm sticking with my permanently shiny boots and corset ;)

Bumping this thread up because I have a question. Does anyone know how they got Michelle's costume to stay so far up her neck and into the cowl? The pictures above look like it may have been attached to her cowl from the inside somehow, but I can't tell. I doubt they'd want it slipping down to expose her neck.

Thank you so much, and I wanted to say, minieffects, it's a real honor to have you on the forum :)

Bumping this thread up because I have a question. Does anyone know how they got Michelle's costume to stay so far up her neck and into the cowl? The pictures above look like it may have been attached to her cowl from the inside somehow, but I can't tell. I doubt they'd want it slipping down to expose her neck.

Thank you so much, and I wanted to say, minieffects, it's a real honor to have you on the forum :)

Her costume was made by a fetish latex clothing expert from England as I recall and a life cast was done of Michelle and the latex was sprayed onto the life cast. They had to make many copies and baby powder her before suiting up in order to get the latex on. After shooting each day the suit was basically torn off and tossed in the trash as it could not be used again. As for how it stays up on her neck, because the latex was formed around her life cast it was very from fitting. Hope this helps and forgive me if I'm foggy on the details, it's been a few years.

Best
minieffects

minieffects- Thank you so much for all the information! I really appreciate you taking the time to respond to my questions. It does help quite a bit, I was wondering if she had to be powdered as well. It's so interesting and exciting to hear from someone who actually worked on the film! My best bet for my own costume would just be to make the neck very form fitting.
Unfortunately I'm highly allergic to latex and rubber, so I have no choice but to go with PVC for the suit. My mask will be purchased from Reevesfx but I will have to line the inside somehow since it's also rubber.

Thanks again!

minieffects- Thank you so much for all the information! I really appreciate you taking the time to respond to my questions. It does help quite a bit, I was wondering if she had to be powdered as well. It's so interesting and exciting to hear from someone who actually worked on the film! My best bet for my own costume would just be to make the neck very form fitting.
Unfortunately I'm highly allergic to latex and rubber, so I have no choice but to go with PVC for the suit. My mask will be purchased from Reevesfx but I will have to line the inside somehow since it's also rubber.

Thanks again!

Your welcome. As far as the latex allergy, your not alone. A lot of people have that allergy which is why we switched to nitrile gloves in the industry. What you can look into is mole skin as a barrier. Go to your local drug store and ask where they keep it. It's adhesive backed and will provide a barrier between the latex and your skin.

Be sure to post images of your finished costume when your done.

best

minieffects

minieffects- Thank you for the great tips! I would have never thought of using moleskin with an adhesive backing. Having this allergy is a little annoying, but there are ways to get around it, and you gave me a great idea too. I'll definitely be using moleskin as a lining. I'll post photos when I'm done for sure :)

~Carmen

I believe Andy Wilkes, the man behind Syren, was the key participant in the creation of the Catwoman suit. I spoke with him on several occasions, when he was still the owner of Syren, and he shared some great info regarding this iconic costume. Someone should sit down and interview him as he is a wealth of knowledge on the subject, and an extremely nice guy!

I believe Andy Wilkes, the man behind Syren, was the key participant in the creation of the Catwoman suit. I spoke with him on several occasions, when he was still the owner of Syren, and he shared some great info regarding this iconic costume. Someone should sit down and interview him as he is a wealth of knowledge on the subject, and an extremely nice guy!

Yes, especially before the memory faded completely. I know for me it's getting harder to remember all the details.

Your welcome. As far as the latex allergy, your not alone. A lot of people have that allergy which is why we switched to nitrile gloves in the industry. What you can look into is mole skin as a barrier. Go to your local drug store and ask where they keep it. It's adhesive backed and will provide a barrier between the latex and your skin.

Be sure to post images of your finished costume when your done.

best

minieffects

I know this is late, but just to add to this thread, I posted pictures of my finished costume [HERE]

Thank you so much for all your help!

Hi minieffects, thanks for your generosity in sharing information so freely on here. Was hoping to pm you with a business enquiry but can't seem to figure out how to do so on here?

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back