What version of the Michell turntable is used to source the imperial disc's etc.

These are turning in to a pain to source mailed a few people now and simply either have had no reply or no follow up after. Is there anyone out there who makes decent replicas who is willing to sell or better still original parts (price permitting)?

Original parts hardly ever come up or if they do they tend to be attached to a very expensive stereo.

I don't think there would be enough interest in these to get more manufactured BUT if you wanted to ask around / do an interest thread I could certainly go back to the precision machine company I used. As part of every job they do they make a drawing so they would be able to make them again no problem.

Only thing is it isn't worth while unless you get 200 made IMO and even then they are not that cheap.

If you are really in need try an interest thread and see if there are enough other people who would want them as well.

I would do it but I do not have the time just now to concentrate on any kind of run. Easy enough to get them made though.

Original parts hardly ever come up or if they do they tend to be attached to a very expensive stereo.

I don't think there would be enough interest in these to get more manufactured BUT if you wanted to ask around / do an interest thread I could certainly go back to the precision machine company I used. As part of every job they do they make a drawing so they would be able to make them again no problem.

Only thing is it isn't worth while unless you get 200 made IMO and even then they are not that cheap.

If you are really in need try an interest thread and see if there are enough other people who would want them as well.

I would do it but I do not have the time just now to concentrate on any kind of run. Easy enough to get them made though.
Is there any chance you could put up a couple more pictures of some measurements round the middle ring, am I right in thinking that the combined height of the bottom and middle ring is 6.29 Total height being 7.67mm
Also is the central hole threaded?

I don't suppose you would have access to the other discs used which could be measured up. There is a small firm here in my local town may be able to knock something up for me? These figures work out nicely in imperial. I think its an old boy who has the machine shop so may be right up his street?
This is how I'm seeing it from your pictures?
DSC00968.JPG
Just noticed what depth does the recess go to on the bottom ring where its 2.98 mm wide.

Is there any chance you could put up a couple more pictures of some measurements round the middle ring, am I right in thinking that the combined height of the bottom and middle ring is 6.29 Total height being 7.67mm
Also is the central hole threaded?

I don't suppose you would have access to the other discs used which could be measured up. There is a small firm here in my local town may be able to knock something up for me? These figures work out nicely in imperial. I think its an old boy who has the machine shop so may be right up his street?
This is how I'm seeing it from your pictures?
View attachment 413835
Just noticed what depth does the recess go to on the bottom ring where its 2.98 mm wide.

The centre hole is not threaded - it was a pulley on the turntable that turned on a spigot / spindle with belts.

Unfortunately I don't have any more photos the ones I posted were old photos I found on my hard drive. The discs I had made was quite some time ago.

Both the lower and middle ring have recesses in them as belts sat in these grooves. Your drawing has the middle ring as flat.

If you look at my side on pictures you will see what I mean.

All the sizes including the groove depth are in my photos.
Yeah I realised I'd done that on the middle but I couldn't clearly tell what the measurement were on this to include them. Also which of the pictures do you mean has the depth, I think I must have misinterpreted something here?

- - - Updated - - -

If you're looking for accuracy then Elvis is not the man. If you're looking for a cheap 'close enough' replica then he is!

Chris, I recognize that ;)

Marcus is there any chance you could provide measurements on the other Michell pieces?

Hey, voice -- if you do get enough interest, what sort of price point are we looking at? I'd want a dozen, myself...

--Jonah

I am not looking for interest :)

I have no time to do a run - getting interest, taking money, getting envelopes, taking addresses, printing labels and then mailing out hundreds of these things is not on my priorities just now.

I have merely offered to get them made if anyone else wanted to do a run,

To get them done by precision engineers so they are exact to the originals and to get the price down to £7 each I had to get 200 made to make it worth while. That doesn't include shipping costs either.

To get them done at cost price would set me back £1400 and a pile of hassle - it isn't very appealing to be honest :)

If someone else wanted to get the run done then I am perfectly happy to have them made and sent out to them. Then they could worry about getting 200 of them sold. I would also say that nobody is going to do this at cost price so you could be looking at £15 ish to make it worth somebodys time and effort.

Sorry I would do it but just can't risk the cash without orders and don't have the time just now.

Give me a few days but I'll get it done!

Yeah I realised I'd done that on the middle but I couldn't clearly tell what the measurement were on this to include them. Also which of the pictures do you mean has the depth, I think I must have misinterpreted something here?

- - - Updated - - -

Marcus is there any chance you could provide measurements on the other Michell pieces?

Fairly accurate. I've gone with his for officer and pilot helmet greebles. His are right about an inch in diameter, so slightly overscaled to the originals. I scratch-built my own from bits of brass and PVC tubing to come up with one that was accurately scaled without going to the trouble of a machine shop. I photoscaled it from photos of the Merr-Sonn blasters, sinc eI have a Mauser I can check dimensions against. When I went to check placement of one of my ET discs, I saw it was visibly too big in that setting, and should be more in the neighborhood of 7/8". Which voice's calipered measurements bear out nicely. :) And my scratch-build fits perfectly.

--Jonah

OK, found all my Michell parts and have them sitting beside my PC. I'll measure them tomorrow night.

Fairly accurate. I've gone with his for officer and pilot helmet greebles. His are right about an inch in diameter, so slightly overscaled to the originals.

I measured my Elvistrooper discs (low detail and high detail) and compiled against the measurements in the photos earlier in this thread.
All measurements in millimetres.

Code:
        Real            Elvistrooper

Outer diameter:
        23.72           24.2 - 24.5
        18.44           16.85 - 17.1
        9.2             9.5 - 9.7

Diameter inside groove:
        22.19           22.5
        16.53           15.05

Thickness:
        3.49            3.07
        6.29            6.14
        7.67            7.67

Hole diameter:
        3.98            4.26

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back