Graflex flash prices .......warning possible spoilers!

If you all think this is ridiculous wait till the new movie comes out! I may go back to building hardware versions of the Graflex and buy that yacht I've allways wanted! Lol

Graflex prices have been on a steady climb for the last couple of years. It has nothing to do with inflation. They go through cycles. During the time of the PT, prices were in the $150 - $250 range. Then, when Parks flooded the market with his replicas, prices for vintage flashes dropped. As recently as 5 years ago it wasn't uncommon to see near mint flashes only go for about $150. Prices really started to climb after the announcement of EpVII. Then, of course, things exploded after the 2nd teaser came out.

Personally, I don't think the current prices are the new norm. Just like in the stock market, you have a lot of "speculators" who are artificially driving the prices up. These are the same people who will try to resell their flashes after the movie comes out and the wow factor has worn off. They most likely won't get the price they paid for them when they try to resell them, though.

This is also assuming we don't go through another recession like we did in the early 2000s. That also helped to drive prices down.

Okay. Thanks for clarifying.

I got my first Graflex in 2002 fully converted to the Luke ANH for a tad over $300. Needless to say, I regret selling it. It even had the clamp screw which is hardly ever found with these flashguns today. I will also agree that the current hike isn't the norm--just the temporary demand from select individuals willing to pay the price. They're enabling this cycle curve and it's bound to make a return unless either demand continues to go up or the quantity of 3-cells falls dramatically down.

Hey, anyone remember how much this thing went for? $20+ grand right?

lukeANH%2010_zpsoziqefl4.jpg

Was this actually the Luke ANH hero? The grip ends are shaped differently than the one in promo pics. Regardless, can it be safely assumed that the grips are the same original "T-tracks" on the other one?

Hey, anyone remember how much this thing went for? $20+ grand right?

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y265/Imperious825/lukeANH 10_zpsoziqefl4.jpg

Was this actually the Luke ANH hero? The grip ends are shaped differently than the one in promo pics. Regardless, can it be safely assumed that the grips are the same original "T-tracks" on the other one?

You forgot a zero. It went for $240k
http://www.newsarama.com/1742-luke-skywalker-s-lightsaber-auctioned-for-240-000.html

-Ron

It may or may not be an original. It was from Gary Kurtz collection.

Most likely it was made for him by someone at ILM, most likely not a screen used piece.

Check da evil bay, lol, the sith are out, there are two Graflex's for $399 and in not so good condition, lots of corrosion around the clamps. I would expect something nice and clean for that amount.

Let em keep it until the various replicas come out. Then the average joe can get unlimited replicas and take the demand down for the real deal, letting us antique defacers swoop in :D

I've owned several real Graflex 3 cells and several replicas including Larbel and Parks. The parks was the best working replica I've ever had. Felt exactly like the real deal. Larbel was flimsy and the finish was all wrong. I wish I never sold my mint in box 3 cell. Sold on here over 10 years ago. Forget who I sold it to though.

Current auctions: $80 for the eye assembly; $150 for the red button. Both from same seller. They look so clean and new I'm not even sure they're original parts.

The same vampire selling the overpriced button and eye now has a whole flash (super nice) for a buy-it-now price of $695. OUCH!

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back