Ghostbusters movie by Paul Feig

I've read this entire thread and I gotta say:

Everyone is more than entitled to their opinion, and rightfully so. This is just fans of the movie having a discussion on an online movie prop forum. This is the place for discussions about new movies like this one and it's props.

With that said.... most of you guys sound like a bunch of wussy, whiny crybabies. Just saying that as an outsider looking in. Did you really think they were going to use the same, exact same proton pack as the originals? When has a re-boot ever done that? Ever?

I'm actually laughing my a** off at so many comments about the pack. Welcome to the world of lightsabers, Vader armor, Stormtrooper armor, and so many other props and costumes in the Star Wars movies and the prequels.

If you love Ghostbusters then go love it. New proton packs don't make the original movie bad, it's awesome. The horrible Ghostbusters sequel made the original worse.

I've read this entire thread and I gotta say:

Everyone is more than entitled to their opinion, and rightfully so. This is just fans of the movie having a discussion on an online movie prop forum. This is the place for discussions about new movies like this one and it's props.

With that said.... most of you guys sound like a bunch of wussy, whiny crybabies. Just saying that as an outsider looking in. Did you really think they were going to use the same, exact same proton pack as the originals? When has a re-boot ever done that? Ever?

I'm actually laughing my a** off at so many comments about the pack. Welcome to the world of lightsabers, Vader armor, Stormtrooper armor, and so many other props and costumes in the Star Wars movies and the prequels.

If you love Ghostbusters then go love it. New proton packs don't make the original movie bad, it's awesome. The horrible Ghostbusters sequel made the original worse.

...preach...

This thing could be a train wreck like Transformers aimed at teens and 20 somethings who hate everything older than them.

I'm actually laughing my a** off at so many comments about the pack. Welcome to the world of lightsabers, Vader armor, Stormtrooper armor, and so many other props and costumes in the Star Wars movies and the prequels. .

uhm..... the star wars stuff is all in the same universe, spanning CENTURIES, so you EXPECT the designs to change a little over the years. and even when they do, they still kind of follow the same basic look. The Tydirium shuttle, for example. Storm troopers, for another. 30 years, and episode 7 storm troopers look BASICALLY the same, so people will be able to recognize them instantly. this thing that calls itself a proton pack is just a bunch of spare parts thrown together as if someone said 'yep, that looks passable enough..throw a few blinky lights on it and good! on to the next line item'. it shouldn't look like it took a step back a hundred years or more either. like something found on ivo shandors island.
maybe it's our new jar jar binks designed by a producers 5 year old kid ;o)

and I'm almost willing to bet the only reason we got even this thing is because of all the hate leveled at the idea. now they are trying to back track.

- - - Updated - - -

This thing could be a train wreck like Transformers aimed at teens and 20 somethings who hate everything older than them.

And of course, that other thing bay ruined ;o).
but that's kind of unfair. some kids are actually smart enough to LIKE the originals more than the reboots ;o). I just wish there where more of them! ;o)

I wasn't talking about in-universe. I'm talking about all the crying because prop makers making a movie made the prop they wanted to make.

Imagine how you would feel if you were reading a Thread talking about a Twilight re-boot, and all the Twilight fans were boo-hooing because in the re-boot they decided to make a new dress for Bella and everyone sounded like little babies because the movie makers did something the fans don't agree with and they can't handle it.

Do you know how funny that Thread would be to read? And listen to them look so silly about it all?

It's this Thread. Except I'm you and you guys are the Twilight fans. And it's so good it's delicious to read.

It's this Thread. Except I'm you and you guys are the Twilight fans. And it's so good it's delicious to read.

whatever.... i'll be on the lookout for threads where they wreck something you enjoy and see if you're so calm andcool then. there's something everyone cares about to a certain extent that they can have fun bashing something new if it's well deserved.

Dude. Seriously.

I was born in 1974. I saw Ghostbusters in the movie theater in 1984. Had it on VHS recorded off HBO and wore out the tape. Twice. How old were you in 1984?

I've seen Ghostbusters more times in my life than many RPFers will ever see it. I know every line. Why? Because I *LOVE* Ghostbusters.

It's not about bashing anyone, or what they love. It's about pointing out how totally pathetic it is for so many people to be crying about the new proton packs.

The new packs are not in Ghostbusters, the Ivan Reitman film from 1984. They aren't even from a sequel. This is a new movie, with a new cast, and isn't really connected to the old movie at all except in sprit (pun intended).

No, the prop does not look the same. Does it suck? Matter of opinion. Are we judging a prop out of context without even seeing the movie? Yes. Probably why it looks so sad from the outside.

I think the proton pack looks like a different pack made by a different person in a different movie. I'll save my judgements for opening night of the movie.

Almost as bad as older people who hate everything new. :p:lol

James is right, a lot of silliness here. Hate for the sake of hate.

Fact is that the film is being made, period. Will it suck? Who knows. I'll be honest, I don't have a lot of faith in it. But before I condemn it I'm going to see it. Then if it's lame I have full confidence in trashing it.

It doesn't hurt the original Ghostbusters any more than JJTrek hurts original Trek (and I REALLY dislike JJTrek).

Yes it's a site where people discuss films and voice opinions but holy hell. :lol

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Disapproval =/= crying.

Also, we're the same age, and having been to an RPF meet up at a con I'd say...we're not the oldest here.

I've also seen a few threads here and while almost all of them do contain people bashing movies/directors/actors/props...something about this one makes it really hurt certain peoples feelings when we do it. I wont speculate too much on why it bothers you so much on this particular movie. I like to think it's because you're all actually Paul Feig using different accounts, but that's just me. The truth probably isn't as much fun as that explanation anyway.

No, the prop does not look the same. Does it suck? Matter of opinion. Are we judging a prop out of context without even seeing the movie? Yes. Probably why it looks so sad from the outside.

I think the proton pack looks like a different pack made by a different person in a different movie. I'll save my judgements for opening night of the movie.

That's the thing, I don't think that anyone here is expecting the packs to be the same, seems to me that the people who dislike the design of the new pack, me inc;luded, are not liking it from a purely aesthetic stand point. Read the posts criticizing the thing, nobody is hating on it because it's not an exact copy of the original, we're hating it because we feel that it looks uninspired, cheap, and, in my personal opinion, too old and junky. I think that everyone who's not liking this new movie would be more than happy to admit that they think the new packs looked cool if they actually thought so, regardless of what their feelings towards this film might be.

I just watched Spy, directed by Feig starring McCarthy and if this is a hint of what GB will be like, I'm out. :(

https://scontent-lga1-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...=e13bb1eb098cc8f45a7a50fb4819c50d&oe=561CD1E4
to be perfectly honest, I always liked the design of this proto pack. thrower was the same though.

heh, someone posted this on the RPF FB page. maybe we should make a thousand of these and have a permit for a bon fire in front of sony pictures studios ;lo) or SDCC

https://scontent-lga1-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...=a4202d93ddc605f72f9bde60adf99312&oe=562F2649

johnny ruckus was the creator of that pack, hes very well known in the ghostbusters and cosplay field. they posted a video and actually paul feig saw it and made a twitter comment about it! lol

with all this hate for the film i wonder what feig is truly thinking, and or if he really cares about the ghostbusters film

Some people here are criticizing the development and pre-production that led to this film. It was a train wreck on full display for anyone who wished to follow it, and showed true disregard for the property from the studio which inherited (not created) it. That criticism says nothing about Feig or the quality of the finished film.

Some people here have not enjoyed Feig's previous outings and don't expect to like his take on Ghostbusters. At least they're basing their expectations on their relevant experiences - with the same writer, director, and cast it seems a fair assumption.

Some people have dinged the new pack. I agree that its main body is uninteresting, particularly put side by side with one of the most fascinating and compelling film props of all time! Again, this is an isolated criticism of one aspect of the film and does not indicate that the movie itself won't be good.

We're making specific points based on what's known, what we've seen and learned. It's not unreasonable. Yet, we're being scolded by defenders of a movie which hasn't been finished or seen. All of the legitimate problems (regarding development, this is beyond opinion or conjecture. Sony was mortified that this film's pre-pro disaster became public knowledge) or opinions being expressed are being conflated in order to shout down one detractor with the argument against another. Someone who wishes Hollywood would give a damn doesn't "hate a movie they haven't seen," and someone who doesn't like that ugly prop isn't sexist. No one's crying.

We're discussing what's actually known about the film at this stage. If you don't want a part of that, wait for the post release thread. There will be a whole talk about the finished movie once it's out. Until then, please stop derailing the discussion by trying to force rose-colored glasses onto everyone here before making us all sit and wait quietly together. The fact that we haven't seen this movie yet doesn't make our observations less valid, and Hollywood's track record makes any expectations for its creative success pretty easy to dismiss.

Some people here are criticizing the development and pre-production that led to this film. It was a train wreck on full display for anyone who wished to follow it, and showed true disregard for the property from the studio which inherited (not created) it. That criticism says nothing about Feig or the quality of the finished film.

Some people here have not enjoyed Feig's previous outings and don't expect to like his take on Ghostbusters. At least they're basing their expectations on their relevant experiences - with the same writer, director, and cast it seems a fair assumption.

Some people have dinged the new pack. I agree that its main body is uninteresting, particularly put side by side with one of the most fascinating and compelling film props of all time! Again, this is an isolated criticism of one aspect of the film and does not indicate that the movie itself won't be good.

We're making specific points based on what's known, what we've seen and learned. It's not unreasonable. Yet, we're being scolded by defenders of a movie which hasn't been finished or seen. All of the legitimate problems (regarding development, this is beyond opinion or conjecture. Sony was mortified that this film's pre-pro disaster became public knowledge) or opinions being expressed are being conflated in order to shout down one detractor with the argument against another. Someone who wishes Hollywood would give a damn doesn't "hate a movie they haven't seen," and someone who doesn't like that ugly prop isn't sexist. No one's crying.

We're discussing what's actually known about the film at this stage. If you don't want a part of that, wait for the post release thread. There will be a whole talk about the finished movie once it's out. Until then, please stop derailing the discussion by trying to force rose-colored glasses onto everyone here before making us all sit and wait quietly together. The fact that we haven't seen this movie yet doesn't make our observations less valid, and Hollywood's track record makes any expectations for its creative success pretty easy to dismiss.

These are fair points and I, for one, apologize for derailing valid discussion of what any of us know about the film so far. Expecting a thread about a movie to be optimistic at all costs is unreasonable.

I actually don't disagree with much of the legit criticism of the film or props so far - I agree things aren't looking great, especially considering the long and ridiculous road Sony has forced upon a film it seems nobody really wanted or needed in the first place.

That said, for my part, I don't think it's out of line to call out sexism on this thread. Hating the prop isn't sexist. Assuming the film will be filled with broken nails, synced menstrual cycles and glitter is absolutely, undeniably, offensively sexist. To be fair, it's also hideously outdated, cynical and, if you have seen any of Feig's movies or understand at all why a lot of great female comedians continue to work with him, preposterous.

It's 2015. We as a group and individuals should be above that. Period (pun intended).

thank you. and it's also interesting how in some places on the internet, valid criticisms are usually responded to with attacks made personally at the 'hater', while ignoring said valid criticisms.

If I EVER go see this thing, it'll be in it's final week of the theater, and JUST to prove my point. I did it with Bay Turtles, and was resoundingly rewarded. this is following that exact same pattern with a complete disregard to the franchise and it's fans and I have no doubt the result would be the same. however, I AM a big enough person to say that I liked it, IF I DID. I wonder how many of the people bashing the haters would admit it if they hated the thing?

as for sexism....I'm sick of that too. you have only to look as far as the pack to see how the movie views it's 'funny comedians'. they put an oven stove top covering and a heart on there. glitter comments are valid in my opinion.

halliwax;3690829 with all this hate for the film i wonder what feig is truly thinking said:
doubtful. he probably just took it to get the banshee off his back about doing it. those leaked emails where they laugh at the haters bashing the thing since day one says alot.
most people would be worried that a year after it's announced, any article about this thing gets hundreds of replies of hate within an hour or two. I've never seen that much universal agreement before ;o)

He just wasn't right with the job. When a discussion about what should come next for GHOSTBUSTERS begins with "well, women are just as funny as men, let's start there" you know you're talking to the wrong guy. That doesn't mean that women can't be as funny as men, it just means your focus is on the wrong things.

doubtful. he probably just took it to get the banshee off his back about doing it. those leaked emails where they laugh at the haters bashing the thing since day one says alot.
most people would be worried that a year after it's announced, any article about this thing gets hundreds of replies of hate within an hour or two. I've never seen that much universal agreement before ;o)

Directing a movie requires a ridiculous amount of time and effort, and for someone who is traditionally a lower-budget director, he's not outsourcing everything. I think it's shortsighted to say he directed it JUST to get people to stop hassling him about it.

thank you. and it's also interesting how in some places on the internet, valid criticisms are usually responded to with attacks made personally at the 'hater', while ignoring said valid criticisms.

If I EVER go see this thing, it'll be in it's final week of the theater, and JUST to prove my point. I did it with Bay Turtles, and was resoundingly rewarded. this is following that exact same pattern with a complete disregard to the franchise and it's fans and I have no doubt the result would be the same. however, I AM a big enough person to say that I liked it, IF I DID. I wonder how many of the people bashing the haters would admit it if they hated the thing?

as for sexism....I'm sick of that too. you have only to look as far as the pack to see how the movie views it's 'funny comedians'. they put an oven stove top covering and a heart on there. glitter comments are valid in my opinion.

I think the heart and, if it's intentionally recognizable, the stove top covering, are meant to be ironic and subversive. A disgruntled GB fan rage-posting a menstrual cycle joke is sexist. There's no correlation between the two.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back