New Episode 7 X-wing

I did some framegrabbing, you can see the whole set here

https://www.flickr.com/photos/12377578@N07/15714038729/in/set-72157647186182413/

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, as there is no atmosphere in space, the S-foils don't contribute to flight, they just move the cannons further apart maybe for better range and targeting. So regardless if they are in atmosphere or space, the result is the same.

Since we always see (in the OT) wings open in space, but wings closed in atmosphere, I thought wings closed was an aerodynamic configuration for flying in an atmosphere. But I'm not familiar with the Expanded Universe, maybe it's been established you can have wings open in air as well. Star Wars has never been that concerned with the actual physics of flight. :lol

Karl

https://www.flickr.com/photos/12377578@N07/15714038729/in/set-72157647186182413/

- - - Updated - - -

Since we always see (in the OT) wings open in space, but wings closed in atmosphere, I thought wings closed was an aerodynamic configuration for flying in an atmosphere. But I'm not familiar with the Expanded Universe, maybe it's been established you can have wings open in air as well. Star Wars has never been that concerned with the actual physics of flight. :lol

Karl

Thats a good point. :)

Thanks for the grabs phase pistol but that pic of the falcon is 2048 x 1432, are there any more like that res? I can't find any.

Mine are all 1920 x 1080, so if there are bigger ones they're from somebody else...?

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, wow, DanielB's pics are much higher res. Where do you get the higher res trailer?

In the X-Wing pic you can see the astromech droid in the back socket. :)

k

Disney appears to have released a few frames in the high resolution.

http://www.slashgear.com/star-wars-the-force-awakens-hd-images-released-by-disney-28357726/

Check out the white-wing TIE fighters.

1080_tie-576x1024.jpg

Are they white or are they reflecting the sand? Could also be an unfinished effects shot, they look awfully smooth.

Noticed that too. The company that makes the X-Wing, Incom, updated their ship. The company that makes TIEs had to update theirs as well. It's the Ford vs Chevy thing!

Bingo, those pics are worth printing out A3 size on Monday :)
I think its reflecting the sand, if so, that's the first ting JJ hasn't fiddled with, thank god.

- - - Updated - - -

Karl

I think that the wings being open does two things; first it allows for a wider firing pattern, and second to dissipate the heat from the guns firing. Anyway, that's my theory.

Yeah, as there is no atmosphere in space, the S-foils don't contribute to flight, they just move the cannons further apart maybe for better range and targeting. So regardless if they are in atmosphere or space, the result is the same.

These S-foils won't contribute much to flight even if there was an atmosphere. They may provide a bit of stability but their hard edge would create more drag that would actually negate their effectiveness. But I agree with your idea of the S-foils having something to do with targeting. Perhaps having the weapons positioned in a rectangular configuration would allow a wider dispersion of the weapons and allow for a better chance of hitting the enemy fighter.

TazMan2000

Last edited:
I think the new X-wing is a future classic, it's beautiful! I've been excited by it from the moment I saw that vid with J.J. standing in front of the full size version. I want a 1/24 model of it.

The Millennium Falcon in the trailer, however, looks odd to me. It's a CGI version of her and while the proportions may be right and the camera angle in the Disney high resolution images is what it is, the details just look way too "thin". Maybe it's just an early version of the one we'll eventually see in the finished movie.

I've mentioned it before in another thread. I wouldn't rely to heavily on thinking that these are complete, finished, effects shots. Filming just wrapped, but now they still have a lot to do to finish the movie. I would say these shots are probably 90% done and may look different once we see them on the silver screen.

I've mentioned it before in another thread. I wouldn't rely to heavily on thinking that these are complete, finished, effects shots. Filming just wrapped, but now they still have a lot to do to finish the movie. I would say these shots are probably 90% done and may look different once we see them on the silver screen.
The effects and render quality may change a lot from this, that's indeed the way it goes. If the Millennium Falcon shot is all CGI, it is easy to tweak the Falcon 3d model and replace it for the final render, if needed. The X-wing shot looks great as it is already.

It's a teaser, maybe we could also call it a WIP trailer. :)

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back