D.C.'s Supergirl (tv series)

True Detective and Fort Bliss come to mind, though I like her appearances in those for... other reasons.

Blonde lady? You mean little Kewpie Doll voiced Keri Lynn Pratt who played Cat Grant?

http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net...lle0685.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20101027011625

never saw those shows :/

Now you're going to make me look up imdb. it's been so long, i'm forgetting character names.

Chloe.....that was it. i thought chloe was more like the shows lois before they decided to bring in lois.

So Superman on the TV for the first time since the Supergirl teases/Smallville finale...and if you dont count that as it was never a full on shot of him, then it's the first time Superman is on the TV since 1997? Nearly twenty years...

@The Mad Professor:
You made my day!!! I got shivers EVERYWHERE!!! It was soo fitting, even for the small screen incarnation of Superman, that score is the perfect embodiment of Supes!
Thank you!!!

Well, there's a reason why John William's score for Superman is consistently ranked in the top ten of his own works and the works of others and is perceived by many (myself included) as the pinnacle of his skills as a musician. It's not the music itself, but the thought process behind the music and how it interplays with the film.

FilmMusicNotes did a really nice analysis of the Superman march here.

Without quoting the whole thing or going into the minutiae of musical theory and such, I will simply quote the conclusion:

John Williams’ Superman theme is one of the most iconic in film history as it so effectively captures the film character’s features in musical terms: his unstoppable power, triumphant heroism, stabilizing presence, and capacity for romance. But there is one other aspect of the film that the music captures equally well. As Williams himself said, one of the things he liked about working on the film was that “it was fun and didn’t take itself too seriously.” Surely, the bright, optimistic tone of the theme is a result of this kind of mindset. After all, these were the days before more troubled, tormented superheroes—Batman foremost among them—began to be the norm. Superman fits perfectly into that group of film heroes of the late 70s and early 80s with relatively sunny dispositions like Luke Skywalker and Indiana Jones. Significantly, all three of these heroes have jaunty major-key themes that have become just as iconic as that for Superman, all penned by the inimitable Williams.

Basically, the music is an aural reflection of Superman himself, a style that was imitated by the likes of Ramin Djawadi when he did Iron Man, Hans Zimmer for POTC, Alan Silvestri when he did Captain America: The First Avenger (still my favorite of all the Marvel films), Craig Safan with The Last Starfighter, and Brad Fiedel with The Terminator.

All of them are excellent scores because the composer did not score the film. They scored the characters in the film.

I liked it! Mainly because my 8 year old daughter enjoys watching it, and is big Supergirl fan. She now wants to be her for Halloween! It seems that the CW's "Gotham" show is not exactly aimed to her age range. However she hopes to see Batgirl appear somehow on the Supergirl show, or in her own show someday! I think they did a good job with bringing Superman on to the show as well

Watched episode 1
GREAT!
What I love about this show is it's an honest to god GOOD show trying to actually teach good morals.
In a world where the majority of shows are dark depressing and make the bad guy out to be cool, this show harkens back to a time when role models where the good guys.
I think it's a great show for young kids to watch and aspire to.
Bravo to all involved.
It was chilling to see Superman again. REAL Superman who smiles and winks at the kids.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Watched episode 1
GREAT!
What I love about this show is it's an honest to god GOOD show trying to actually teach good morals.
In a world where the majority of shows are dark depressing and make the bad guy out to be cool, this show harkens back to a time when role models where the good guys.
I think it's a great show for young kids to watch and aspire to.
Bravo to all involved.
It was chilling to see Superman again. REAL Superman who smiles and winks at the kids.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But.. that's not cool to modern kids.

modern kids want gotham, or arrow, or depressed superman stalking lois lane...or superman smashing through buildings.

'Golly' superman is corny.

-modern dumb stupid kids

- - - Updated - - -

All of them are excellent scores because the composer did not score the film. They scored the characters in the film.

Notice two of my favorite superman themes actually have the word SUPERMAN in them, eventhough they are orchestral :)

It wasn't bad. But it wasn't amazing.

I didn't think of CW Superman as too corny either - his characterization was pretty good, other than seeming a little shallow at points (but that was also offset when he talked about the life balance stuff, that worked pretty well). His advice to Kara as the mentor was good, I enjoyed his mannerisms too as Clark and Superman - the cheeky smiles and a little bit of banter was excellent.

I couldn't help immediately being brought out of the show at multiple points though, as I couldn't take certain things seriously at all. It felt so, so much like they had their predetermined points throughout the episode that they needed to get to without it feeling like the story would get there naturally - did anyone not expect Superman and Supergirl to pop up, defending the helicopter from the drones? And yet the drones were there for bloody ages waiting to fire..why? And when they saved the orbital jet - how come they didn't check on everyone inside before talking to some walkers, specifically to show us that the El family take time to speak to mortal folk etc. His confidence with Cat Grant was good, but it doesn't quite seem to mesh up with how Clark was portrayed with Perry on the phone earlier. Would a mild mannered, stammering reporter have that affect on a hard ass company building woman like Cat Grant? Who meets up with celebrities etc?

I enjoyed the little back and forth between Clark and J'onn though. And a part of me lost my **** with a little squeak seeing Superman and the Martian Manhunter on screen together (just hope they have him in Martian form in Episode 2. I also imagine they will have Superman/Supergirl trust J'onn with a chunk of K after destroying the cache.) And especially enjoyed some of Cat Grants scenes - I know there is less of her going forward which is overall good but she provided some good emotional moments with Kara. Even Alex wasn't anywhere near as annoying as she normally is.

It was very...simple, overall. And not the type of simple that works amazingly well IMO. It was great to see another interpretation of Supes though.

The Kara/Jimmy thing...very strange turn of events that I understand how they tried to tie into the theme...but was quite weird and sloppily handled.

On the superhero tv shows (that aren't netflix based) out at the moment, the quality seems to be (to me):

Flash (Season 2 managed to almost match Season 1, and Season 1 was just a ridiculously good TV season)
Agents of Shield (Season 2 keeps it up here)
Arrow (Season 2 keeps it up here...there is a trend appearing)
Gotham (last few episodes keep it up here)
Legends of Tomorrow (one or two amazing episodes kept this onlllllyyyy just above Supergirl)
Supergirl (is knocking on the door with Legends and Gotham as they are very similar shows, more simply executed and more bold in their visions, but don't quite deliver regularly)

Not that anyone asked for all that, but just wanted to process my thoughts!

Last edited:
Overall OK, she needs to stop groveling in front of Grant now. Superman was super enough for TV.
And Grant needs to stop referencing real political figures, this character is the worst offender, again it rips me out of the universe,
the George Bush crack was unnecessary.
And of course nobody ever challenges her so it's easy pot shots by the writers or perhaps it's Flockhart herself.
I know the character is a lefty, I get it, stop using a sledgehammer.

Stupid aviation observation...The helicopter registration had an "N" added in front of the "C" for Canada to trick us. LOL
Surprised they did that minor detail good for them, but "NC" hasn't been used in a very long time.
And obviously the new headquarters was because of the move to Canada as well.

Overall OK, she needs to stop groveling in front of Grant now. Superman was super enough for TV.
And Grant needs to stop referencing real political figures, this character is the worst offender, again it rips me out of the universe,
And of course nobody ever challenges her so it's easy pot shots by the writers or perhaps it's Flockhart herself.

Stupid aviation observation...The helicopter registration had an "N" added in front of the "C" for Canada to trick us. LOL
Surprised they did that minor detail good for them, but "NC" hasn't been used in a very long time.

They probably made the registration say NC because of National City.

Kat is the biggest SJW type character in the show And I didn't buy her sudden transition from witch into accepting in the first season. there is too much hate there for that to happen that quickly.

I didn't see the episode yet, but CW has alot of damage control to do.

I do find it funny though that they felt the need to have to bring in Superman to either fix, or gain people back into watching a girl power show ;o).

Supergirl should be able to stand on her own with out even a mention of superman. Or those stupid super texts from season 1. And I like the character enough that I Wish they DIDN'T bring in anyone from superman's world. No Olsens, no lanes, nothing.

Kat is the biggest SJW type character in the show And I didn't buy her sudden transition from witch into accepting in the first season. there is too much hate there for that to happen that quickly.

I didn't see the episode yet, but CW has alot of damage control to do.

I do find it funny though that they felt the need to have to bring in Superman to either fix, or gain people back into watching a girl power show ;o).

Supergirl should be able to stand on her own with out even a mention of superman. Or those stupid super texts from season 1. And I like the character enough that I Wish they DIDN'T bring in anyone from superman's world. No Olsens, no lanes, nothing.

To be fair though, he is part of her world. She isn't alone, she isn't isolated from him in the comics. He is a part of her story and vice versa.

You can't do Supergirl without mentioning one of the most iconic Superheroes of the last 70 years.

Watch the ep!

That, and one of the complaints i heard last year was that there are major things going on in NC (a group of kryptonians bent on world domination for example) and superman was no where to be found.

I thought he worked well and didn't dominate or anything. My understanding is he's only around a handful of episodes for the season. If he sticks around more - great. I like his superman/clark more than what they're doing with the movies.

Plus, Kat isn't going to be in many either with production moving to canada...

As I posted elsewhere:

Calista Flockhart really brought her A-game to this one, especially with the "I know what you should do with your career, but I want you to figure it out" gambit. I really like how Cat Grant seems to belittle people when in reality she's pushing for them to succeed. She wants them to succeed, but at the same time, she wants them to do so on their own. Because of that, she's not going to just hand someone what they need. She will nudge them in the right direction, make sure that THEY want it, and let them figure it out. Because if this, her employees are more confident in themselves, which works well for her as well, as it makes them better employees. Cat Grant has a very intuitive grasp of how people think and feel, given that she seems to push people's buttons to their absolute limit and just before they crack, she relents and hits them with some unexpected serious advice that's half motherly and half mentorly.

When I first saw the pics a few weeks ago I was doubtful, but I love this version of Clark\Superman! I can even overlook the cape because his characterization is so good. I wish Cavil was more like this.

There's certainly a fair amount of Reeves' Superman in this version and I like that. I saw someone had described them both as SuperDorks, and it kinda fits. Here we have two heroes genuinely caring, and trying their best while honestly believing people can be better and that doing the right thing matters. I love it, it's so refreshing after all the Grim/Dark/Gritty reboots.

IMHO, it hit on all the right notes so far. I liked as already mention the upbeat and happy Supes, who loves helping people. There are tons of throwback to the Movie, but it didn't hurt the tone. For example Grant's yelling: "Miss Tesssssmaaacher!!" and Supes "S" Shield from the Movie in an updated look and his mild mannered ways to talk to White with the old fashioned "lickety split" and "Great Cesar's Ghost!" and clumsyness. The helicopter rescue, etc... It gives the hardcore fans a familiarity, like breaking into the pair of comfys you'd put away for a loong time and the moment you put them on, you know it was the right thing to do.
The only thing that could be better was the little rushed pacing, I know, it's the new season and you want to cram a lot into it, but slow down, it'll do great things to Supergirl.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back