Solo: A Star Wars Story

Re: Star Wars Anthology (Young Han Solo)

If Han had a heart of gold under the cocky self-interested smuggler attitude in ANH then there was almost surely a backstory there. That kind of character happens when somebody starts out with some heart but it gets wrung out of them by a difficult life. So I could see a backstory with Han.

But whether filming that backstory will ever live up to expectations . . . that's a different issue. IMO Han's history is probably better left to the imagination.

The problem (for Disney) is that they have to make a movie out of Han going from a good guy to a bad guy. The movie has to end with him in full-on selfish rogue mode. Will Disney be willing to do that? Doubtful.

What if the back story has a mirror effect on his turn to help the rebellion? As if he had been in a situation before, that changed him from being what he could be to what he HAD to become for survival. "From a certain point of view" Han knew in ANH even if he paid off Jabba the Hutt, his smuggling days were over. Perhaps something along those lines plays out with other people around him as a youth. Maybe even that debt is something thats carried over from his youth.
Besides that nugget, what makes you believe he will be a good guy as a youth? His character has always seemed to be one that was a product of self survival in a harsh environment. Its a common theme in the SW universe.

Fun!!!

Attachments

• IMG_4556.JPG
    IMG_4556.JPG
    696.2 KB · Views: 95

misgivings slowly fading. Maybe I'm just still high on Rogue One, but the cast photo has me a little excited.

Looks like the force awakens cockpit, so hopefully this is just a photoshoot, and production is making a cockpit that at least looks closer to the ANH version: a little smaller, less detailed, no steering yokes.

Last edited:

April Fools is just a little more than a week away - do we have to wait until April 2nd for Lucasfilm to show us a pic as Anthony Ingruber as young Han?

That pic is awesome. Much like JJ, Phil Lord and ****** Miller have been favorites of mine for years... going all the way back to Clone High. Really funny guys who know how to make an entertaining flick.

If Alden captures the essence of Han, this could be really fun.

The article lists Joonas as Chewie. I guess that means Peter's last film was TFA.

Sad.

The Wook

I thought it had been confirmed that Peter was in Ep VII: {edit - Ep VIII. Damn Roman numerals)

Andrea Smith, spokeswoman for the southwest Missouri sci-fi convention, said Peter Mayhew was called to London to begin filming Star Wars: Episode VIII. “They start filming tomorrow,” Smith said Wednesday. “There was another convention this weekend; he had to cancel that, too. It’s not just us, it’s like, seven conventions.”

He's also listed as s cast member on Wikipedia and imdb (I know, neither too reliable.) Has there been definite news otherwise and I just missed it?

M

Last edited by a moderator:

I thought it had been confirmed that Peter was in Ep VII: {edit - Ep VIII. Damn Roman numerals)

He's also listed as s cast member on Wikipedia and imdb (I know, neither too reliable.) Has there been definite news otherwise and I just missed it?

M

Maybe he's a creative consultant, and has a token close up in the mask, but isn't really the main Chewie. Wasn't that basically the case with Kenny Baker the last few films?

Maybe he's a creative consultant, and has a token close up in the mask, but isn't really the main Chewie. Wasn't that basically the case with Kenny Baker the last few films?

Maybe- but I assumed they would keep him in the same "role proportion" as TFA: Peter in close-ups / sitting (as in the cockpit of the Falcon), the other guy for any shots where Chewie was standing or walking.

As far as Kenny - who knows what his role was in the later films, other than as a courtesy? I seem to recall that, as remote-controlled robots and CGI had advanced so far, he was only put in the suit for (at most) one shot in each film, mainly as a "ceremonial" thing because fans wanted to see his name in the credits. But I think they may have even moved past that in the later prequels and TFA - i.e., he was listed in credits as a ceremonial thing but didn't actually do anything. And (and I know this skirts blasphemy with some here), I don't think there was much for him to be "creative consultant" on - R2 rolled and he wobbled, that was about the extent of R2's "acting", and isn't going to be different no matter who is in the suit or operating the robot. But I do know that Peter - even if his role is relegated to "creative consultant" - could have a lot of acting stuff to advise on such as mannerisms, tilts of the head, etc - as he did in TFA when he wasn't himself actually in the suit.

M

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back