ANH Hero DL-44 Discussion - Three ANH Greeblies Found

vlcsnap-00057.jpgvlcsnap-00063.jpgvlcsnap-00062.jpgvlcsnap-00061.jpgvlcsnap-00060.jpgvlcsnap-00059.jpgvlcsnap-00058.jpgvlcsnap-00055.jpgvlcsnap-00056.jpgvlcsnap-00064.jpg

Sorry man, no can do unfortunately.

If i may ask .... why?

Most of the time i heared that sentence over the years, it´s more the reason to make money from the info than anything else. Or to be able to say "My parts are accurate but i can´t share the proof", so they can´t be disprooven. :lol

There is a need to love the secret flow of this hobby. :D

Maybe a NDA?

Maybe. But i would be interested in the reason "why" is someone sitting on "just pics" and not willing to share, if not for making money. (Not Scott, as he seems to speak about pics that he has no rights on - at least that´s what i want to believe of him)

And if that´s the reason, why not being upfront and saying "I´m not here for the community, just for taking advantage of the community"? That would at least be honest.

Might I be so bold as to say that some of this discussion might have been sparked off by this below...

Might scottjua have been trying to say that he has to be able "to see high res to be to see the depth of the cuts".

Just my interpretation, I edit a newspaper so I have to look for stuff that might be missing... if this is not the case, my apologies.

Like I said, I'm not a DL-44 expert and just wanted to share an observation I had made when I posted the screenshots.

I have high res to be able to see the depth of the cuts.

Maybe. But i would be interested in the reason "why" is someone sitting on "just pics" and not willing to share, if not for making money. (Not Scott, as he seems to speak about pics that he has no rights on - at least that´s what i want to believe of him)

And if that´s the reason, why not being upfront and saying "I´m not here for the community, just for taking advantage of the community"? That would at least be honest.

To be fair to Scott, regardless whether what he has is "just pics" or if he owns the original prop itself it's his choice whether or not he chooses to share anything or not. There's nothing that says that in order to be a part of this community he has to relinquish every shred of knowledge that he has.

And to further this point, Scott's expressed many times on various threads how frustrated he is when he does share information or pictures at how many times people claim that information as their own or repost those photos without proper credit or acknowledgement.

And considering how much he has shared and done for this community, if he chooses not to throw another log onto the fire then I think he's earned the right to do so.

Maybe Scott just got access to photos/reference from a contact at Lucasfilm or the like and doesn't want to jeopardize that relationship? eh, either way, he's always been super helpful with info and videos, knowledge, etc.

Thanks guys, everyone summed it up pretty well for me. I have photos of things I was given under confidence of discretion, and I respect that confidence and won't violate the trust given me. Also, I share and have shared everything I can many times in the past. If I were trying to just profit from it somehow, it would be obvious. I don't tout anything I do as superior or market myself as having secrets no one else has to profit... that's just ridiculous. I just want to do my best, and share with like minded people. I also, have spent money, time, and real effort to get my hands on images, props, parts, and relationships, only to have them used and represented as someone else's effort. I'm tired of it at times.

While I'm bound by an agreement in some cases, in others I simply would rather share certain things privately to people I know share the same passion, and aren't going to do exactly what you say people do Michael... profit from it. I've seen people pop up out of the woodwork overnight, and start selling things and marketing their expertise by taking the effort and work, and generosity of people who actually have a passion for this hobby and do the legwork with no credit, acknowledgment, or even thanks.

So anyway,... yes, I have some stuff others don't and I also have stuff everyone has, because I shared it all at one point of another in my own threads.

- - - Updated - - -

And again, thanks so much to sliuman for the awesome high res find and time capturing those images. It just confirms everything we suspected or knew with awesome new clarity!

While I'm bound by an agreement in some cases, in others I simply would rather share certain things privately to people I know share the same passion, and aren't going to do exactly what you say people do Michael... profit from it. I've seen people pop up out of the woodwork overnight, and start selling things and marketing their expertise by taking the effort and work, and generosity of people who actually have a passion for this hobby and do the legwork with no credit, acknowledgment, or even thanks.

I know, Scott. That´s why i asked "why?" Was it your decision or was it a given info you were asked not to share?

In general - way to many vultures have popped up over the years in this hobby, to much "for money", and not "for fun".

Scottjua,

You always produce awesome work and bring a positive attitude to conversations. Thank you for all your many contributions.

As a humorous aside, do you have a chain of custody in your will for all the "classified" prop information? I'd hate for that information to be lost if something were to happen to you!

Thanks guys, everyone summed it up pretty well for me. I have photos of things I was given under confidence of discretion, and I respect that confidence and won't violate the trust given me. Also, I share and have shared everything I can many times in the past. If I were trying to just profit from it somehow, it would be obvious. I don't tout anything I do as superior or market myself as having secrets no one else has to profit... that's just ridiculous. I just want to do my best, and share with like minded people. I also, have spent money, time, and real effort to get my hands on images, props, parts, and relationships, only to have them used and represented as someone else's effort. I'm tired of it at times.

So anyway,... yes, I have some stuff others don't and I also have stuff everyone has, because I shared it all at one point of another in my own threads.

- - - Updated - - -

And again, thanks so much to sliuman for the awesome high res find and time capturing those images. It just confirms everything we suspected or knew with awesome new clarity!

Glad to help, Scott. As you can see been a member a lot of years and haven't brought much to the table -- so it's nice to contribute.

Maybe the pistol had been noticed before, but the blu-ray was the first time the details could be seen in HD.

Sadly, I can't afford the pistol offered in your interest thread (recently did a HGC/DEC kit and bought the awesome but inaccurate airsoft replica from a shop here in Hong Kong), so I'm kinda all Han Solo'ed out at the moment. Looks like you've got a lot of orders, and if I contributed in some meagre way to making it a better replica, then I can't ask more than that.

This definitely appears to be the same Upper, and possibly lock assembly as the ANH Hero! I agree that the lower was most likely changed for the ANH Hero. Not only do the machined features not match, but the spacers and such are attached to the left side, where the ANH frame had them on the right and showed no evidence of having anything mounted to the left side at at any point.

There are the Imperial sidearm blasters -- the Merr-Sonns -- with evidence the resin castings had spacers on the left side of the receiver in those locations that were then sawn off. So both versions, and both from Bapty, saw some association with Star Wars production.

However, it is a bit odd that the lock assembly would fit into another mauser frame and still work properly, or even fit at all for that matter. I believe the frames and lock assemblies were machined to match each other to a certain extent. Almost like the side-plates on a Luger. But that does appear to be the same assembly nonetheless.

Why odd? This was a mass-produced, machine-fabricated pistol from a German company that had been making some of the better rifles in the world for a couple decades already. The whole point of mass-production is interchangeable bits. Absolutely a lock-frame assembly from one Mauser would fit another. Heck, the better-made German action will fit the Chinese .45ACP-chambered copies just fine. Certainly the differences between a Prewar Commercial and Wartime Commercial would be about the most minor. I'm not as familiar with the P.08 and its development evolution, but any non-interchangeability they experience isn't something Mauser dropped the ball on. The only things I know of where you need the right bits for the right guns are if you're dealing with one of the autopistol versions, or different chambering (9mm versus the standard 7.63mm).

--Jonah

it would make sense that the first Merr-sonns looked like crap and they swapped in a new lower reciever with all the original parts.

I know, Scott. That´s why i asked "why?" Was it your decision or was it a given info you were asked not to share?

In general - way to many vultures have popped up over the years in this hobby, to much "for money", and not "for fun".

Both cases exist actually.

- - - Updated - - -

There are the Imperial sidearm blasters -- the Merr-Sonns -- with evidence the resin castings had spacers on the left side of the receiver in those locations that were then sawn off. So both versions, and both from Bapty, saw some association with Star Wars production.

Why odd? This was a mass-produced, machine-fabricated pistol from a German company that had been making some of the better rifles in the world for a couple decades already. The whole point of mass-production is interchangeable bits. Absolutely a lock-frame assembly from one Mauser would fit another. Heck, the better-made German action will fit the Chinese .45ACP-chambered copies just fine. Certainly the differences between a Prewar Commercial and Wartime Commercial would be about the most minor. I'm not as familiar with the P.08 and its development evolution, but any non-interchangeability they experience isn't something Mauser dropped the ball on. The only things I know of where you need the right bits for the right guns are if you're dealing with one of the autopistol versions, or different chambering (9mm versus the standard 7.63mm).

--Jonah

Yeah, I have had 15-20 real Mausers so far, and while they were hand fitted and numbers matched.... SOME parts are interchangeable without modification. Others need filing or fitting.

Yeah, I have had 15-20 real Mausers so far, and while they were hand fitted and numbers matched.... SOME parts are interchangeable without modification. Others need filing or fitting.

Fascinating. I haven't handled nearly as many, so I trust your experience. At my end, I've cobbled together a locking frame assembly from many different sources, and no two numbers matching and had no problems fitting things together. The frame itself was from a Wartime Commercial, and it fit my postwar Bolo just fine. I also ended up with a few hammers and safety levers, and didn't notice any significant difference in their respective fits with the rest.

At the same time, I'd make sure that I used only bits intended for the same chambering, so there's that. I wouldn't cross a 7.63 with a 9mm, or a standard semi with a Schnellfeuer, etc. I don't know that that would turn out to be in any way relevant, but I'm cautious like that. Only reason I would consider mixing German 9mm action with Chinese .45ACP breech is because others have been doing it for decades. The Chinese guns and the ammo are fairly plentiful, and you get the reliability of the German mechanism (no commentary here on the reported failure rate of the Chinese workings, and why those guns tend to be derided).

--Jonah

Im new to posting, but Ive been going through and catching up.
Im in the process of building a live fire, not a entirely accurate replica, but close enough.
Ive been watching the Dark Energy Creations site waiting on the ANH kit for a while.
Finally got one the other week, I think i bought the first one from them when it came in.
Now im looking for a steel scope mount, any help in the right direction would be appreciated.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back