Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Pre-release)

Re: Star Wars: Episode VIII (Pre-release)

To parse this out a bit...

• Kylo is seen in bacta and we see his helmet lowered on his head like Vader in The Empire Strikes Back.
  • Hux is killed by Snoke.
  • Luke is insane and talks to animals on his little island. He disappears (again) leaving Rey to fend for herself against the wildlife on the island.
  • Rey fights a giant sea monster and then gets chased into a giant tree by the island birds.
  • Inside the tree she meets the Force Ghosts of Obi-Wan and Yoda.
  • Outside the tree she awakes to Luke standing above her with a bird with giant eyes.
  • Luke tells Rey she has to kill Kylo, but she doesn’t want to.
  • Kylo and Rey connect to each other through the Force, and then he arrives on the planet.
  • There’s a fight and Kylo knocks Rey off a cliff and incapacitates Luke before the island birds swarm Kylo.
The Kylo in bacta makes sense considering g his TFA injuries and the fact this film picks up immediately after.
Hux killed by Snoke is a new rumor that also would seem sensible.
Insane Luke has been a rumor dating back to TFA. Insane is likely too strong a descriptive but this rumor has been around awhile which makes me think it has some veracity. We have heard about the birds previously and they are most likely the owl like convoores which appeared in CW and Rebels.
Rey fighting a sea monster was reported previously.
We have seen a giant tree on the actual set.
We have seen photos of the filming that show Kylo and the Knights of Ren arriving g on Ach-to and fighting. And we heard rumors Luke opens scan of whoop a#* and Rey does fall off a cliff.
Please for the love of everything that is holy tell me this is fake and none of it will make it into the movie. I had a terrible morning and then I come on here for some solace and I see this? Bryancd....tell me its fake. PLEASE. :cry

Please for the love of everything that is holy tell me this is fake and none of it will make it into the movie. I had a terrible morning and then I come on here for some solace and I see this? Bryancd....tell me its fake. PLEASE. :cry

Like I laid it in the post, some of these elements have been heard previously, some are new, nothing confirmed. I do find the element of the convoores interesting as Dave Filoni has spoken about them in detail and how they relate to the Force. They are like living holocrons. I like that idea.

Keep in mind, in the TFA thread every rumor was initially met with a lot of angst from many and even when they proved to be true, the plot points worked great in the context of the film. Patience. :)

I'm not entirely clear what some of you seem to be so concerned about. Again, breaking it down..

Kylo in a bacta tank isn't very surprising. Snoke killing Hux also sounds fine. Rey going through various trials on Ach-to jibes well well with public comments made by Rian Johnson that Rey will be going through a process of trying to understand these new abilities she has. Luke being a little "off" I think affords a lot of interesting opportunities for his character and character arc over the next two films. Some of you seem unwilling to have Luke be anything but a great Jedi Master right off that bat in this film. I think it will be more interesting to see him struggling with his choices. Kylo fighting Rey? Well duh. And finally these birds. Consider them living embodiments of the history of the Force and that's why Luke is there communing with them, to learn the history of the Jedi since all records have been purged by the Empire.

I hope we get to see Luke or Rey slice that ugly head , off those effeminate shoulders , of Ren ! We went from Han not shooting first, to him not getting to draw at all. Worse than the death of James Kirk in Trek. I would rather have no Han solo again, than this. Chewie should have lit his ass up. What a crock ! The only redemption for this travesty is a saber right between Rens eyes. I mean, needing an x rating for violence , death scene , ;-) Ford should have just said no, if he had to go out like a chump. He just wanted out. Such a crap ending for a great character. But this is the 8 thread, so, DEATH TO REN !

Wow.

Ren was the best thing about Episode 7! :lol

So funny hearing such a polar opposite view of my own!

I'm not entirely clear what some of you seem to be so concerned about. Again, breaking it down..

Kylo in a bacta tank isn't very surprising. Snoke killing Hux also sounds fine. Rey going through various trials on Ach-to jibes well well with public comments made by Rian Johnson that Rey will be going through a process of trying to understand these new abilities she has. Luke being a little "off" I think affords a lot of interesting opportunities for his character and character arc over the next two films. Some of you seem unwilling to have Luke be anything but a great Jedi Master right off that bat in this film. I think it will be more interesting to see him struggling with his choices. Kylo fighting Rey? Well duh. And finally these birds. Consider them living embodiments of the history of the Force and that's why Luke is there communing with them, to learn the history of the Jedi since all records have been purged by the Empire.

I think people read things like "Sea Monster" and immediately picture Rey fighting Ogopogo... *is that too Canadian? Loch Ness Monster?

Or ducking as they're attacked by a bunch of seagulls like in an old monster movie...

Even if all those are true, I'm sure it will be fine in context.

The Kylo bacta tank sequence is likely as his grandfathers castle scenes seemed deliberately squeezed into "Rogue One". Soon as I saw that I thought we will probably see it used again as it was a rather good link to Vaders past.
I do find some of the other stuff questionable though. We know Chewie ,R2 and the Falcon are on Ach-To with Rey and it seems unlikely they would leave without some involvement with Luke. Unless Chewie returns immediately for Hans funeral of course.
And its more likely Kylo would track down the Falcon, rather than suddenly connect with Rey across a vast universe. Nobody else Jedi, or Sith could ever do this.How else did Yoda and Obi wan manage to hide for so long?Or Luke???
Unless of course Rey is very directly related to Kylo and that somehow gives him a clearer force vision unexpectedly ( he does mention a vision of the sea and an island when he interrogates her in TFA).
The tree seems more likely as a strong source for the darkside, so if the corvors drove her there it must be for a reason. I remember there was a rumour ages back that Luke was being plagued by evil force ghosts.If Rey helps lift the source of that madness it would make sense that Luke is later able to train her (as we've seen her lightsabre skills are improved!).It would also explain why the island has been abandoned for so long, it simply drives anyone insane if they stay there for too long.
The Lukes madness theme was explored inTFA artwork as a partial explanation as to why he has remained in hiding, rather than it be simple grief. He has had some rather hard knocks in his time after all , so what happened may have been a tipping point. If he continually sees the ghosts of everyone he's lost perhaps he has lost his grip.
Rhian does like to write complex character moments and his "heros" often tread very morally grey and unpredictable paths. So alot of whats mentioned here does seem in line with this. Still hate those Corvors though, much too Harry Potter.
An early trailer release does seem unlikely. Given they did get some flack for changing so much of R1 and with whats happened since its not likely they would wish to let us see what again may not be in the film much later. They have got alot of other film releases out earlier this year and its more likely they would more strongly promote these .

I don't have a problem with the convores. The first thing they reminded me of wasn't Harry Potter, but native Northwestern US mythology. Depending on where specifically, they were spirits of wisdom, magic, prophecy, or warnings of bad stuff going on. Their call was a summons of the spirit world. Healers called upon them to learn the sources of peoples' sicknesses. They are associated with ancestral spirits and are sources of both fear and respect. A lot of this made it into Twin Peaks, albeit unclarified in dialogue -- one had to know the mythology to spot it. "The owls are not what they seem."

So with the convores, I just went "Oh. Cool." and that was that.

--Jonah

Wow.

Ren was the best thing about Episode 7! :lol

So funny hearing such a polar opposite view of my own!

Vader was a real villian, with mystery and true essence of evil. Ren was a spoiled little brat ! Tearing up consoles in his Star Destroyer with his saber. I hope that was non essential equipment. It would have been hilarious if the next scene showed the Star Destroyer falling toward the nearest planet. Everybody has an opinion, like I said before, none is more valid than another.

I don't have a problem with the convores. The first thing they reminded me of wasn't Harry Potter, but native Northwestern US mythology. Depending on where specifically, they were spirits of wisdom, magic, prophecy, or warnings of bad stuff going on. Their call was a summons of the spirit world. Healers called upon them to learn the sources of peoples' sicknesses. They are associated with ancestral spirits and are sources of both fear and respect. A lot of this made it into Twin Peaks, albeit unclarified in dialogue -- one had to know the mythology to spot it. "The owls are not what they seem."

So with the convores, I just went "Oh. Cool." and that was that.

--Jonah

Says the man with a falcon as his avatar. :)

Vader was a real villian, with mystery and true essence of evil. Ren was a spoiled little brat ! Tearing up consoles in his Star Destroyer with his saber. I hope that was non essential equipment. It would have been hilarious if the next scene showed the Star Destroyer falling toward the nearest planet. Everybody has an opinion, like I said before, none is more valid than another.

too be fair to ren... we don't know WHAT went on with him. but yeah, he was the most boring part of the movie.

Vaders back story was more of a tragic romance. tragic romance and an intense desire to not being able to loose things to death. thus kind of formalizing why the jedi don't allow attachments.

but at the same time, if the jedi had allowed marriage and attachments, vader might never have happened ;o).....oh, deep thoughts :)

Yea, Vader seemed much more menacing to me. Darth Maul had a certain " je ne sais quoi " as well. Just wasn't feeling it with Ren. I don't care for the actor, so I'm sure thats part of it. He also didn't look like Han or Leia. He is one ugly cur. When he took off his helmet, I was like put it back on please ! ;-) Oh well, he's what we have for a villian. Maybe we can get a bounty hunter like the Fettster in this next one. Not holding my breath, Fett is my favorite character, after Han and Vader. We shall see.

I wouldn't say he didn't look like Han....

CYI26f4WAAIzfyK.jpg

But then I also wouldn't say ugly... so I Dunno.

75e419000a0201adb9a4032089c355d7.jpg

Some potential spoilers I've come across... mostly a rehash of a lot of what's already out there.

VII opens with Snoke and Kylo Ren talking about Ren's failure vs. Rey. Ren is afraid of being replaced by Rey.

On Ahch-To, Luke is conflicted about getting involved again. Rey asks about her heritage - Luke shares details but remains vague.

Luke decides not to train her as it will make her a target. Snoke knows about her, so it's best she goes into hiding. This ticks Rey off - Luke locks himself into his hut. She storms off and starts to explore the island...

While wandering Rey learns the birds of the island communicate via the Force and she discovers the Force Tree and a temple... she meditates and we get a trippy sequence about the Force. She is guided by the birds to a dark side sea beast which she figures she must kill... she's ineffective while on the attack, but when she approaches it as an equal rather than as a enemy, the beast no longer attacks - queue a lesson about balance of the light/dark sides. Luke sees this and agrees to train her.

...Rey training montage...

Rey asks when she'll make her own lightsaber - Luke says the Graflex saber and her staff should be enough... enter Kylo and the Knights of Ren.

Luke sends Rey to the Jedi Temple - that she's the galaxy's only hope.

Luke is a complete badass and takes down many of the Knights. But, there are a few of them and it becomes more difficult. Rey returns - Kylo goes after and disarms her. He tells her Luke killed her mother (possibly implying Luke is Daddy).

Luke goes into berserker mode, defeats the remaining Knights of Ren and making Kylo retreat. Rey feels betrayed and wants answers...

Last edited:

Meanwhile, Poe and Finn are running covert ops for The Resistance while Leia suspects the Republic Leader (Laura Dern) is working with the First Order. We get some political bits and some including placing blame on destruction of the Hosnian system on the Resistance and labels them as terrorists who want chaos. Leia's past is called up and is accused of wanting to bring back The Empire.

Leia sends Poe, Finn with BB8 and a strike team to the Republic Leader's homeworld to find proof of her involvement with the First Order. When they leave, Leia's ship is attacked she is put into a coma.

The Republic leader takes the oppurtunity to take further control and demand the Resistance be placed under her control or they will be considered traitors. Poe and Finn, of course work to get to the bottom of all this.

The owl things are about the least dumb thing I've heard so far. They could actually work especially if they look realistic vs. the Rebels version. There's precedent in other myths/fables about birds being good or bad omens.

As for Ren, awesome costume, but he has to be killed, by Luke, at the beginning of the movie. Then bring on a cool villain. TFA is like the total opposite of the Prequels, where the most awesome villain died in the first movie.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back