Todd's DL-44 working Hensoldt Dialyt 3x scope?

mptachenko

I have finished my DL-44 Live Fire build and was now thinking about trying to make Todds new Hensoldt scope focus. As many of you know it was supposed to be fully functional but there was some issue with the focus. Has anyone gotten into it yet and tried to make it work correctly? I know he made the scope exactly based on a real working Hensoldt Dialyt 3x. The scope actually magnifies and has the adjustable post inside but sadly something did not work out right because it is not in focus. I have to say too that the scope it totally awesome even though it is not in focus. It is the best replica out there! Thanks Todd!

Any thought, suggestions, or success on this topic??

Last edited:
The Todd's scope has a lot of things going for it. It's a wonderful replica and the elevation knob even works. The eyepiece lenses and holder are well made and secure. The focus on the cross-hairs is good.

As you note, though, the image focus is bad. The objective lens is not secured well either. I touched mine with a dust cloth and the ring behind it popped out and the lens fell into the tube. So I had to tear it apart anyway to put the objective lens back in its holder.

I took a sheet of paper and cut it to the right width (3.14x.75") and put a piece of double stick tape along the edge. Rolled it up around the lens. Taped the seam. Tada! Focusing tube. Slide it into the scope tube and you can get an absolute perfect image at around .595" back from where the lens is supposed to sit.

Any optical engineers around that could suggest how to fix the objective lens? Or maybe just put a glass plate in the end and add a tube with the original lens at a position where it focuses perfect.

It's certainly fixable.

Photo - left two marks are the thickness of the lens edge. right two marks are my two tries at getting a good image and trying to mark it against the end of the tube. .595 was the better image.
IMG_2989.JPG

Here are a couple more photos showing a temporary brass holder for the objective lens and image result. Neighbor's house is about 625' (190m) away. (edit: I thought I wasn't getting the 3x magnification. I definitely am.)

IMG_2991.JPGIMG_2992.JPG

Last edited:
Each one of the real ones is completely different. SOME of them even had extra internal elements and assemblies to correct for lens focus differences. I even had one with an extended from brass lens retainer to move the front element farther out to achieve focus.

Here's what I came up with. Threads are 50 tpi but the lathe I was working on would only do 48 or 52. 52 works ok so long as there's only a short distance for the threads to engage. Step for the lens is .66" inside the end of the scope barrel. Overall length is about 1".

IMG_2996.JPG IMG_2997.JPG

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back