Comic-style Batman & Bat-Grapple - Emerald City Comic-Con 2014

Great result! Your bat - symbol was a huge improvement. Love that cowl and how your grappling hook turned out. BTAS:thumbsup

Time to revive this costume (and this thread!) I really liked a few of the details on this Batman cosplay, but there were a few key problems with it. I didn't like the color of the belt & buckle, so I will be changing that... but mostly, well, I'm not three feet thick!

At ECCC last year I was in great shape (for me at least) but at 6'3" and 200lbs, I'm much too lean to be Bats. Despite all my hard work, I just don't have the Batman physique and looking back at the costume, I'm afraid I looked a bit silly. Especially since the Hush cowl has such a thick neck... This picture tells it all:

ECCC1095_zps103fa20e.jpg

As you can plainly see, I'm much closer to Peter Parker than Bruce Wayne :lol So, where does that leave this costume? I will be attempting to add some bulk & padding to the arms, torso and leg areas. On a whim I purchased this:
halloween-party-cosplay-costume-faux-EVA-callisthenics-chest-font-b-muscle-b-font-pectoralis-maj.jpg

As I understand it, this is a hollow piece of EVA foam, so my plan is to attach foam the reverse side so it holds its shape. For the arms, I have done some searching here and have found a few people that successfully used foam padding and shoulder padding to create the bicep/tricep area. I really liked this thread by pandatrooper that turned out looking pretty good!

Pandatrooper's finished product:
6293376064_d9b8197f56.jpg

I think adding this to the size I already have should just about do the trick! I'm trying to get this all done for Wizard World Portland which is in two weeks... more to come!

Thanks!

I am hoping to add some size to the quadriceps as well, unsure of how specifically I will get the shape right. Batman's legs are GIANT :lol

Batman_by_Lee_2.jpg

I think your costume and grapple gun look great!! I am always thrilled to see comic book versions of Batman!!!

Thanks!!

I spent the last few days working on my muscle "help" under the costume. I used the molded muscle sheet and filled the "pockets" with foam I shaped with shears. Also I have shoulder padding helping the biceps. I think the result is pretty good - it adds some size without looking too over-the-top. (The belt buckle is actually gold in this shot but I'll be painting it black).

BC188411-32D2-4127-B14E-0607CEF40971-363-000000FAF20DF935_zps32982966.jpg

I saw the same muscle thingy on ebay and thought it'd just be a weird, flimsy piece of rubber. The effect is really good, though. I might get one for my revised Lobo.

Ironjoe and stronglikebear, here's a company in Tacoma called Flex Design Costumes. They make [expensive] muscle suits. Here's the link: www.flexdesigncostumes.com/

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Ozzy, I had no idea they were local. (Way outta my price range though! :) )

I've reworked the belt a bit: using a black nylon belt as opposed to the dyed yellow canvas. I was about to paint the gold buckle to black (as seen in Dead End) however after holding it up to the costume, I decided to keep it gold. My better half JuJuBean weathered & aged it for me, and it turned out fabulous!

unnamed_zpsee80e171.jpg~original

So this costume is now less "Hush" and more of my own interpretation. I'm more and more pleased with this costume as time goes on, looking forward to Wizard World this weekend.

Last edited by a moderator:
Finished everything up - I decided to go without the muscle chest piece, it just doesn't match with the rest of my frame. A complete muscle suit would work OK, but just the chest piece looked out of place.

Here's the final product, ready for a day at the con tomorrow!

81F1886F-97E3-41CD-BDAC-6E1E9764BDAA-492-000000DE4C4968EC_zps0cad169a.jpg

PS: After trying several methods for getting into & out of the Reevz cowl, I can say that my favorite option is the Leave In Conditioner. Works way better (for me) than the baby powder method. Just sprayed some in and the cowl slipped on and off just great.

@JuJuBean and I had a great day at Wizard World Portland! Here's a few shots from the con - I think the small changes I made to this costume like the belt and reworking the way the cape drapes over the shoulders really helped.

8289C147-CC44-435C-8D21-7AF108FBF7E9-1268-000001A739286615_zps17e89a1d.jpg~original

5A6172D2-D8F3-4C97-9F92-BE9461C8604A-1268-000001A4C0467C6C_zpsc1300093.jpg~original

CEC278E5-7564-4D93-B446-8B7576E013E1-1268-000001A4D19EE868_zps6bbe78f0.jpg~original

Dude, love it!! Awesome pictures! The one of you two with Bane is just BAD AZZ!!! I'm bring my big camera to ECCC, need some epic pics with you guys in your villain attire!

Great Costume!
How did you color the belt yellow the first time? I'm curious because on my Cyclops costume I used a similar canvas belt, yellow dye didn't seem to work so I coated it with yellow plasti dip.

Re: Comic-style Batman & Bat-Grapple - Emerald City Comic-Con 2014

I actually bleached the belt first before I dyed it, not sure if that made a difference...?

That might have helped. Did you use rit dye?

- - - Updated - - -

I actually bleached the belt first before I dyed it, not sure if that made a difference...?

That might have helped. Did you use rit dye?

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back