Bowcaster Parts

I know that barrel head! Oh god do I know it! Give me a few hours to remember it, it is a possibility that it is upside down compared to the original item. I'm coming back I will return!

- - - Updated - - -

Maybe possibly be from an aircraft mounted weapon due to the soacing

- - - Updated - - -

Spacing*

- - - Updated - - -

Also the side scopes are not identical one is larger one is smaller for a shorter but more precise shot

No, odiwan suggested it to me in a private message earlier when I was asking him to verify that the crossbow I was looking at was indeed a Horton Magnum.

Oh okay. I though as I had posted and PM'd this idea a few days ago after you asked me about the Enfield sight that it had come from me.

Also the side scopes are not identical one is larger one is smaller for a shorter but more precise shot

The side scopes are definitely identical.
The right side scope is set a little over a 1/4 inch further back than the left scope in the common B&W studio shots (really noticeable if you look at the scope ring positions). Also the eyepiece on the left one is unscrewed a little more making it slightly longer than the right one. Foreshortening perspective from the camera being too close when the pics were taken exaggerates these differences, but if you isolate the scopes and compare them side by side they match up perfectly.

I have a pair of these Original Model 7 scopes available, I promised people I would purchase the ones they found and now have 2 extra. You can send me a PM if interested.

Model 7
ORIGINAL
4 X 20
Fixed Reticle
Coated
(small S in circle)

Thanks, DJ

Last edited:
Can anyone send me a template for the side plates and a list of the side greeblies? Has anyone come up with a good resource for the bow itself?

This thread has been dormant a long time... Anything new?

I recently got a cone headed singlepoint... been looking for a real one for quite a while.

I have a Horton crossbows Safari Magnum that is close to the right one - mine is plastic and filled unlike the aluminum one that is the correct one. picking up the singlepoint has re-invigorated me to get into this project once again. I picked up a couple of airsoft rifle 4x20 scopes that look pretty darn close to my reference... I could not find original model 7 scopes... but these look pretty close. I also picked up scope rings that look pretty close as well. When all that stuff arrives I'll cobble it together and take a picture or two for this thread.

Is anyone keeping a list of know parts and acceptable replacements?

Thanks all...

Jedi Dade

I saw that but I don't think it is the write one... it looks like a Horton Hunter. I was considering that style to use as well... as you could probably do a lot more work to the front and come up with something reasonable. since the rest of the Bow looks pretty close.

Jedi Dade

If anyone is interested this is on ebay right now

Id love to but just dont have any spare funds right now.

1. Posting active links to ebay auctions is not allowed ;)
2. It is a Horton Safari and the next best thing to owning a vintage Horton Magnum, once converted :thumbsup

Markus

Last edited by a moderator:
I just came back here to rephrase my post... it is a safari magnum - but it looks like its a later version that has been set up to be a compound bow like the hunter... The Slot along the top with the extra "beef" at the prod connect points with the extra drilled holes for the arms to be mounted to point that way. Its still a good starting point.

Jedi Dade

OK just got a couple of parts in the mail... and could not wait so I put them on and snapped a pic :D

bowcaster start.jpg

Jedi Dade

Last edited:
Has anyone come up with a good resource for the bow itself?
Most are using the Horton Magnum Safari as a base. The correct crossbow is the Horton Magnum. The Magnum sometimes has a label identifying it as a a Horton and the city it was made in (Merthyr Tydfil) but no model name/number. Sometimes no label at all. This makes it very difficult to find since a search for the model name isn't going to be very helpful. I got mine through sheer dumb luck.
It's a 40+ year old crossbow so most likely it's being sold by folks who inherited it from a relative, and thus have no idea what it is beyond a black Horton crossbow. About a year ago I saw one on Gunstar.co.uk. Check UK auction sites and look through the crossbows based on the pictures. I've got photos of my crossbow on the previous page.
According to Bernard Horton he was originally contracted by SinglePoint Inc. to produce this crossbow as a demo for the famous single point scope. Later on these crossbows were sold by Bjorn Waktare, a director of Single Point Inc, under the name "Gunmark Crossbows." So you might check that, too.

This thread has been dormant a long time... Anything new?
Most everything has been identified at this point, with the exception of the barrel assembly and front sight. Most of the greeblies are easy to come by on eBay.

Is anyone keeping a list of know parts and acceptable replacements?
I've got a Bowcaster page on my Chewie Costume Guide. It has a fairly complete list of the known parts.

GotWookie

Did you ever finish your BC?
I tried to PM you several times, but never got any reply...wondering about the progress on yours!?

Markus

I have the Horton, I was curious if the bend in the actual bow was the correct curve. I know I need to fix the stock and all....

Nope, not yet. I've been sailing a bunch the last year, but I'm now getting back to finishing my new Chewie (actually trimming the suit today) and then onto the BC. I'll post a build thread when I do.

The last time I got a PM from you was in May of last year, just after I got my crossbow. I sent out pictures to various gun websites and forums to see about identifying the front sight, but no joy on that. I also contacted Mr. Horton about any goat's foot cocking levers they may have made back in the day and he said they did indeed make them, but no pictures or info to confirm/deny that that piece was used in the barrel assembly on the BC.

I'll be getting those missing pieces machined so I'll be sure to get some kind of run going for that when I do.

The new TFA trailer has a good view of the new BC. Looks like a new crossbow but possibly the same scopes. The front sight looks similar to the Empire/Jedi BC.

Screenshot 2015-04-25 15.55.18.png

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back