Mord' Sith - Legend of the Seeker. The definitive costume research thread.

Darth Mule

Sr Member
a5T0WWxYqk31ba99uyxhnQ0Bo1_500.jpg

So the girlfriend mentioned interest in this one, so I started doing some research on it. Looking labor intensive so far. Just curious if anyone has attempted this, seen a good one, found any good research, interviews, etc.

Found a great breakdown of the costume here:
http://galadriel-1013.livejournal.com/32277.html#cutid1

This is a really cool and effective costume design IMO. Very sexy, yet slightly scary at the same time. There's definitely something about it that makes you simultaneously shudder and purr. Really tempted to take it on. Be even more interested to see a fleet of these at Dragon Con.

Trying to open this up to serious discussion so let's try to keep the hubba hubbas to a minimum guys. We've all seen women in skin tight leather before. Often less at D*Con.

Last edited:
Re: Mord'Sith - Legend of the Seeker. Anyone attempt this one?

Although I haven't attempted this one yet, I've started doing some research and thought I would share my findings with you so far. I personally love the idea of being able to do this costume eventually, especially if we could get together a group of them for Dragon Con!
My current bit I'm researching is the buckles. So far I've got match for Denna's buckle (although I think there are actually variations from Mord Sith to Mord Sith). Tandy Leather's Victorian Belt Buckle set: http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/home/department/Buckles/1881-00.aspx?feature=Product_57
Here's a screencap of the buckle:
legendoftheseekers01e08720phdtvx264dimensionmkv_000009592.jpg

I'll let you know as I find out more. :)

Last edited:
Re: Mord'Sith - Legend of the Seeker. Anyone attempt this one?

Nice finds SS.

The corset and gorget actually look fairly simple to execute. The hard part is finding all the bits and, of course, the bodysuit. It IS all leather. Getting it together is one thing. Then the wearer would be well advised to wear it around the house to break it in. It will be "fun" trying to get enough hides of matching oxblood lambskin together for this.

I'm slowly wading into this one. I totally plan on doing a Darken Rahl costume if I can get this one together for the GF.

Going to rename this thread to see if it gets more response.

Dang it....some of of the WPE ladies were doing some research on this a little while ago and had some good info but it was lost in the great fire caused by a hacker.....grrrrrr. I LOVE this costume. Can't wait to see what you come up with!!!

Oh my goodness! This is WONDERFUL! On the drive to work today I was thinking about starting a topic for this because with each passing day I want to make it more and more ( and there's a PERFECT burgandy leather ( faux ) thats on SALE FOR $8/m RIGHT NOW! O_O

Now I'm going to have to buy it.

Though I'm thinking of going simple, sans armor, first and calling it Cara. ;)

I'm hoping to have mine done by the end of the summer for Fan Expo in Toronto.

The only thing I REALLY need to know is how to set eyelets. HOW!?!? I have an eyelet puncher thing ( the one that looks like a hole puncher ) but it STILL squishes and bends them and they STILL fall out. Why am I so incapabale of doing this!? Obviously it's HUGE part of the costume so once I tackle that, I'll be on my way.

Any tips or links on how to set eyelets properly would be INSANELY appreciated!

Come to my house....I have the magic setter tool - it's this big hand press thing from Tandy Leather. Best investment EVA!!! It's paid itself off many, MANY times. I have the heads to do two different sizes as well as snaps!

HA! I would come to your house to use it ( and to do more detective teamwork re: red queen skirt ) if you weren't so far west! lol How much did that cost??? How does it work!?

Found some great hi res pics tonight...VERY strange thing I noticed...the Mord Sith obviously have a zipper up the front and their bodysuits are turtlenecks...however Cara's 'unzipped' style only has a zipper that goes to her cleavage. Above that and the turtle neck are just raw edged leather. o_O I have no idea why, but mine will zip all the way so it can do both styles. :)

Where to start....

Aelynn - Your pleather: Unless the pleather has some stretch to it, you may want to discard that option. Here's why... pleather is essentially plastic and does not give to forming to your body like leather (a skin) is. It also doesn't breathe, so no matter how much you work and sweat in it, its not going to break in so much as just break.

Eyelets - The trick here is to not use actual eyelets so much as small grommets (00 size I think). Eyelets are made from a soft metal and install by just kind of splitting apart in the back and splaying out over the fabric. Not very sturdy, and that's why they fall out. Grommets are a hard metal and have a washer backing so that when you set them, you put the flange on the front side of the garment, the washer on the back and the back end of the flange spreads over the metal retaining washer. Very sturdy. The fabric will usually go before the grommet. This is what they use on corsets though often in a larger size.

The zipper front may be one of those variances from Mord'Sith to Mord'Sith. Deanna doesn't have a front zipper (at least in the above pic). I don't know if there is one in the back. Hopefully there is one, because otherwise the prospect of using the bathroom will be more frightening than sucking on an Agiel. Fortunately I won't be wearing it. :rolleyes

I have noticed, as many of you may have, that the seams on the bodysuit are apparently pressed open (you press leather with mallet, not an iron btw) and topstitched about 3/16" on either side of the seam. There also appears to be a placket where the grommets are set in the sides. We will assume there is a waist seam under the corselet due to the fact that the princess seams do not extend into the leggings.This could provide a cheat for those that never plan to wear it without the corselet as you could feasibly go two-piece for ease of access (I meant for the bathroom. Minds out of the gutter :eek).

Totally agree with you about the eyelets, Chris. Grommets are the only way to go.. And yes....00 is the grommet size I'd use.

Thanks for all of the eyelet information!

The pleather is AMAZING. It's very soft, and it does have stretch! I can't really explain the finish of it, but it's not solid...ie. if you stretch it farther than it should go you can see all the splits in it as opposed to it just stretching and ripping at some point like plastic. I guess the leather-look finish is a seperate coat on it...ugh. I'm bad at describing things. But it should work, and it's an amazing colour at an amazing price!

A few things I've noticed though...the seams aren't pressed open, they do have the topstitch on either side but I think it's just more decorative than anything because other than the obvious seams, the bodysuit is flat, no raise edges or seams sewn down or anything...at least not on the outside.

The top half does indeed have a waist seam which is where the princess seams end.

And all of the Mord Sith have front zippers! It's the 'seam' you see going down the front center. They don't call'em invisible zippers for nothing. ;) I think that they have Cara's half open pretty much confirms that this is what's intended, even though when she wears it half open, the zipper doesn't go above her cleavage ( and lacks the topstitch on either side as well, actually ). Not only that, but the back seam of the suits are entirely grommeted and laced up so there's no zipper there...which means if it's not in the front then these things have to be entirely CG'd on because there is no possible way to get in/out them!!! :LOL

Actually, upon closer inspection, the necks of the armored mord sith don't have a zipper in the front so you are correct, it's just a seam, though Cara's suggests otherwise. So I guess the lacing up the back IS the way to put it on/take it off. @_@... I'll be going Cara-style with a zipper. No way am I lacing myself into that without an easier way to get out. :lol And even if I DID attempt this, the loose ends of the lacing would drive me nuts. The leg ones are easy enough to hide in the boots but the wrist ones would fall out if tucked and the back would have to be laced UP ( rather than down ). I like a costume that I can get into/out of without the assistance of...assistants. :lol

Last edited:
The pleather is AMAZING. It's very soft, and it does have stretch! I can't really explain the finish of it, but it's not solid...ie.

I'm interested to see this. I may do leather anyway just because I'm a glutton for punishment.

A few things I've noticed though...the seams aren't pressed open, they do have the topstitch on either side but I think it's just more decorative than anything because other than the obvious seams, the bodysuit is flat, no raise edges or seams sewn down or anything...at least not on the outside.

They would be pressed open on the inside so you won't see anything but the outside topstitch. Usually when you topstitch, especially on leather, its partially for decoration, part to keep the seams flat as leather doesn't like to lay as flat as fabric.

And all of the Mord Sith have front zippers! It's the 'seam' you see going down the front center. They don't call'em invisible zippers for nothing. ;)
[/quote]

Well, you already corrected this one, but I can tell you one thing from experience. Invisible zippers are rarely used in costumes for film and theatre because they're so flimsy. They would never stand up to the torque on one of these bodysuits. Invisible zippers are pretty much only good for fashion. Rigorous movement WILL blow them right out.

I'm pretty sure though that Kara's sans armor look is a completely different bodysuit than the one she wore with armor.

Feel free to add reference pics to this thread. Especially if you have shots of different angles. I'd love to see the back.

I need to go back and look at that first episode where Kara sheds her armor and see if she has the regular suit on and if there is any good reference to get from it.

Thanks for clarifying the seam stuff! I really just wing it on all of my costumes so I have no actual knowledge of technical terms and what they look like or how they're used etc. I just...go for it.

As for the zippers...well...I know for sure that my suit won't be enduring running, sword fighting or horseback riding so I'll probably stick with the zipper for pure function. :lol

I have a slew of reference to add, I'm just being very bad right now and procrastinating my Alice in Wonderland projects that I must get back to, but I'll upload and throw them in here later tonight! I'll also go take some screencaps from episodes since I have them all on my computer ( S1 and 2 ).

I wish I could afford real leather, if you make yours out of it I cannot wait to see! It's going to be fabulous!

I'll get those pics up a bit later~

Its totally a lazy Sunday for me to be responding this much this quickly.

For the record. I'm not trying to discourage a zipper. Just the invisible type.

I just went over Ep 3 and Kara definitely has two different suits on, and sadly no shots of the first suit sans armor. Was worth a try.

I think I may opt for a hidden waist separation so it doesn't take a team of scientists to help my baby pee.

So I still haven't gotten around to uploading those pictures...

But I did tweet Bridget Regan ( Kahlan ) and ask her if they zip or only lace up...:lol

OOooOOH! Will you be selling them? How are you going about it?

A wooden tool, and trying to find a glazing technique and then stamp out the markings OR just use the markings on the wood itself. They are attached so, it should be fun.

Also, doing the wanted map, Boxes of Orden and the Medallion used in the episode Torn on season 2. =)

And yes I will post an interest thread,

Yes, please keep us updated on the agiels.

Oh Aelynn. Slacking on the job eh? :lol

I haven't looked at anything on this since probably the last time I posted, so I'm not rushing to make progress on this one just yet. I have sooo many other projects demanding my attention before I turn to this one.

It is nice to think about it though. And one day it will happen.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back