Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (Post-release)

I love the idea where they go to coruscant. LOVE IT.

It's a much more streamlined ending. A Chase, rather than an epic space battle.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

It would have required a loosing a lot of the battle in Scarif which is pretty universally considered the strongest part of the film.

It would have required a loosing a lot of the battle in Scarif which is pretty universally considered the strongest part of the film.
Fine by me. There's no reason that battle couldn't have happened in act 2. Or as a diversion.

Or even as something that the audience doesn't follow. What I mean by this is that our heroes could have fled the battle before it was finished. It could have merely been the backdrop for the caper.

One of my beefs of these cinematic universe films is that they create each one of them as if it is the ultimate challenge for the protagonists. Rather than as chapters. And being a chapter is what made ESB so great.

Is every Star wars film from now on going to end with destroying a superweapon/sheild generators? Are we making movies or videogames?

Fine by me. There's no reason that battle couldn't have happened in act 2. Or as a diversion.

Or even as something that the audience doesn't follow. What I mean by this is that our heroes could have fled the battle before it was finished. It could have merely been the backdrop for the caper.

One of my beefs of these cinematic universe films is that they create each one of them as if it is the ultimate challenge for the protagonists. Rather than as chapters. And being a chapter is what made ESB so great.

Is every Star wars film from now on going to end with destroying a superweapon/sheild generators? Are we making movies or videogames?

Well, actually I think a film like R1 needs to be more of a self contained story. Outside of the Saga films, which are holding to a chapter format, these stand alones need to do just that. You don't need to see ANH to follow the story of R1. You can if you like watch R1 as a prequel to ANH but the films story isn't predicated on that. As I mentioned, I don't think people would be fine with loosing that last 40min in exchange for a more seamless transition to ANH, it would have been too much of a compromise to their narrative.

Well, actually I think a film like R1 needs to be more of a self contained story. Outside of the Saga films, which are holding to a chapter format, these stand alones need to do just that. You don't need to see ANH to follow the story of R1. You can if you like watch R1 as a prequel to ANH but the films story isn't predicated on that. As I mentioned, I don't think people would be fine with loosing that last 40min in exchange for a more seamless transition to ANH, it would have been too much of a compromise to their narrative.
How on Earth are they getting away with calling rogue one a standalone film? It is literally an extension of Star wars: a new hope.

In every way.

Cad Bane: a love story would be a standalone film.

It can work as a standalone, just as ANH works on its own, but its a direct connection to the OT, storywise. Charcterwise, they can say nobody knew these guys and nobody will know them. They were spies, hidden from everyone in plain sight, no recognition whatsoever when it came to the Yavin Ceremony. The character story works as a standalone, I hope Han's story doesn't have to interconnect as Lucas made the PT connect to the OT.

Being that it is the Rebel Alliance against the Galactic Empire, it would require to connect to the OT in one form or another. They can create new characters in a familiar galaxy, but with no connections to the others would seem out of place to the general audience. Many regular moviegoers had no idea where this took place because it had no opening crawl. They need some sort of exposition within the film so it isn't solely made for diehard fans. They want to stray away from the Main Saga Episodes, but they kind of need them somewhere so everyone knows when/where the anthologies are taking place. They need name drops and familiar planets so its established as the same galaxy.

They need the Saga to rely on, unless everyone reads a prequel comic or a small short story that explains a standalone SW film's plot and timeline and location. After thinking about it, standalone anthology films are a lot harder to make without a lot of exposition and prior knowledge :wacko "Let's make a solo Jedi film!" Okay but the audience needs to know what the force is, what lightsabers are, and what jedi and sith are.

It might just be my own personal certain point of view, but with or without the events in Rogue One I agree with Victor. Leia's defiance was the only option she had available to her at that moment--she knew she was lying, Vader knew she was lying, the rebel down the corridor dying from a blaster wound knew she was lying, but as long as she doesn't admit to being part of the rebel alliance the game is still in play. It's like someone being accused of murder--as long as they never actually admit to committing the crime there's still a chance they might get away with it. Deny, deny, deny; it's one of the oldest tricks in the book.

I think that after 19 years the Emperor was well aware that Bail Organa and eventually Leia were aiding the rebels. I think this was the first time Leia was caught. She tried the whole diplomat thing, but it didn't work. Maybe not fire on the Imperial ship first then try that. :lol Remember also that Bail signed the "Delegation of 2000" with Padme and a bunch of senators and other political figures that was trying to limit Palpatine's powers in ROTS. So from that he already had a suspect list of people to watch.

We all seem to agree that R1 isn't completely honest about being a standalone film. As such, IMO, it could really have benefited with an opening crawl and a more Star Wars feel.
With that in mind, who wants to take a crack at writing an opening crawl?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

It is not part of a trilogy SO it is a stand alone film. Just because it leads into another film does not mean it RELIES on it.

I made this little comparison now that there are good quality caps available.
42XT8aZ.jpg

No frakking clue how they manage to pull off a WAAAAAAAY better CG Leia for the VIDEO GAME Battlefront 3 :confused beyond belief :wacko
R1 CG-Leia looks like a different person altogether.

Hey, here's food for thought during any tap dancing one might want to undertake:

"Several transmissions were beamed to this ship by rebel spies. I want to know what happened to the plans they sent you."

These are two statements that are connected under the context of Leia associating with rebels, but not necessarily a direct cause/effect:

Sentence 1 is a justifier for the previous declaratory sentence "you weren't on any mercy mission this time". Rebel transmissions = not a mercy mission.
Sentence 2 is thus "since I've busted you on that, fess up about this related thing."

The object of the second sentence (plans) is not beholden to the subject (transmissions) and verb (beamed) of the first. Starting a new sentence clears the slate.

So:
Sentence 1: transmissions beamed.
Sentence 2: plans sent.

It does not necessarily mean that plans were sent via beamed transmissions.

Hard to believe it seems like just a short while ago we were struggling in wait for TFA to be released in theaters. Then we had to wait for the DVD release. Then we got a glimpse of R1 and again had to wait and wait for the trailers then finally the theatrical release. Now we're days away from R1 being released on DVD. EPVIII will be on DVD before we know it! WOW time sure has flown by!

But I still can't stand the waiting! ;)

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back