Kylo Ren Black Series Helmet Mod

You got a side by side pic of the two?

Here'sa top down pic for comparison. 20160109_200652-1.jpg

I cut off the bottom part of the Disney mask:
20160109_210449.jpg

This is the section we were talking about last night. I'm going to see if I can switch them out.
20160109_210607.jpg

Here'sa top down pic for comparison.View attachment 575630

I don't know if switching out the whole thing is a good idea. The chromed part of the BLS fits in precisely on the black abs parts, it might look wonky if you don't get the fit right, and the Disney mask piece on here looks like its narrower than the bls. I would just cut out the parts you like better and add them on instead of taking off the whole thing. Are you plastic welding all these?

What is everyone using for gap filling? The plastic is so flexible I think Bondo would just delaminate or crack.

The front piece is the same size, top to bottom. The Disney is a tiny bit narrow which I think looks better overall. The nose bridge is narrower, front to back, than the black.20160109_213530.jpg
20160109_213517.jpg
. 20160109_213633.jpg

I don't know if switching out the whole thing is a good idea. The chromed part of the BLS fits in precisely on the black abs parts, it might look wonky if you don't get the fit right, and the Disney mask piece on here looks like its narrower than the bls. I would just cut out the parts you like better and add them on instead of taking off the whole thing. Are you plastic welding all these?
What I planned on switching was the underneath jaw piece, instead of rebuilding it like you did. I'm keeping the frame that holds the chrome piece.I'll probably try plastic welding since nothing else will glue the plastic.

I like the more layered look of the disney, but the 2nd layer looks too thin, it doesnt have much depth its especially visible on the nose ridges. Careful when you weld together thin pieces as they will just melt through out and might deform when its hot.

Which Disney helmet are we talking about? I thought Disney only had the mask, not helmet?

-The Truth is Out There-
The Disney "mask" is the one I'm working with, for the front parts. As a side note, the hood fabric that comes with the mask might be a good option for using on the inside behind the cheek holes.

The Disney "mask" is the one I'm working with, for the front parts. As a side note, the hood fabric that comes with the mask might be a good option for using on the inside behind the cheek holes.

Okay, makes sense. I hadn't thought of using another version. I wonder if anyone has tried to use worbla for the mouth layers. I don't particularly like the BS mouth layer edges, and if the Disney is too small then one could easily be traced from the BS.

-The Truth is Out There-

Okay, makes sense. I hadn't thought of using another version. I wonder if anyone has tried to use worbla for the mouth layers. I don't particularly like the BS mouth layer edges, and if the Disney is too small then one could easily be traced from the BS.

-The Truth is Out There-

The front layer that lifts up in the movie seems to be proportional, the layer behind that with the three ridges on it looks too thin, as you can see on the ridges themselves. they don't go deep enough.

Two part plastic epoxy seems to be working fine as a filler. You can also buy a sheet of ABS online for very cheap, I have filled some of the larger areas with melted down ABS

Any links to a specific kind of plastic epoxy you like?

I tried out some different types.Alll of which I tested on bulk abs and, bent the abs sheet to see if cracking occurred in the epoxy.

JB Weld " Plastic bonder" , yellow syringe bottle worked the best I think, no cracking, quick curing and a good plastic surface that sands, sculpts and files easily. It's also four dollars which worked out great.
I still think it's better off the get bulk ABS and melt it to fill gaps but that does take way more time than the epoxy

James, and everyone else here, amazing job with these mods. I am new here and I joined these forums because of this thread. I have a BS helmet and I've been thinking of modding it when I have some more time. I've never done anything like this so I'm going to have to be careful not to mess mine up. great work everyone.

I'm technically new but have been following your convos for weeks. Was just gonna repaint my bs but the mic kept turning in by itself and kept sounding worse even tho I added foam and all the other stuff(evo foam/soft outter/) I do custom action figures and have aves epoxy scultp out on table now. It works great on 6 in figurs, made a cyclops visor out of it and no cracks. So I'm thinking I'm going to fill the crack with the epoxy sculpt, its strong but I am worries about plastic flex fn it up. Also instead of cutting the snout I'm just gonna sculpt the second. This will make the ridges look layered. And I know anovos snout looks textured but I e seen the movie like 5-6 times and every pic out there, seems the helmet has a smooth finish at least on the snout, or at least smoother than they made it

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back