Definitive Ant-Man 2015 Costume Thread

I don't think you'll get silicone to squirt through a silk screen, if that's what you mean. It's a good idea though. I would suggest using a blocker instead-- put some Elmer's glue on the spots you don't want silicone, smear it on, let it cure, then run it through the washing machine to clear the Elmer's, where ideally, it kept the silicone from sinking into the fabric. (probably want something more precise than glue, though). Dragonskin will hold onto the fabric by sinking into the fibers and will still be nice and flexy and stretchy; I know because I have a few shirts with delightful silicone spots on them...

I also found this basketweave stamp for $6 at Tandy, though:
https://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/en-usd/home/68146-00.aspx

I'm leaning towards thinking it's more of a honeycomb design.

I think I may still test it out. I'm majoring in Graphic Design in college. My instructors said you can push just about any "liquidy" material through the mesh. There are silicone "inks" made for screen printing. I imagine using Dragon Skin would be similar to these inks.

Last edited:
There are silicone "inks" made for screen printing. I imagine using Dragon Skin would be similar to these inks.

I think it's thicker than you may think. Grab a pint of silicone thinner and a bottle of Naptha to water it down with when you order and do some experiments.

I won the quote on the commission, but we came up with a different idea of layering some fabrics to get the texture-- likely a hexagonal fishnet over a red base.

Hmm, has anybody made progress on this? I would love to find someone who has put one together and might do another on commission... (I have been doing classic Ant-man for a kids' charity and am eager to upgrade to the movie version!)

thanks!

Hi Im new to this page...and about to start an Ant Man Costume. I bought the Black fabric soft/stretchy faux leather in Black Spandex/Lycra and red texture leather( which will be darkened with airbrush). I am going to do piping with the black leather for the sleeves and silver piping for the silver details. I will post pictures of the process.

Last edited:
Hi Im new on this awesome page. Im about to start the Ant Man Costume with my brother in law's help. He is going to be making the Mask and other details and I will be making the suit. I bought black stretch leather and red texture leather ( which will be darkened with airbrush) . for the sleeves and sides, I will be doing piping with the black leather (will show pictures when done) and for the silver I will do piping as well and airbrush it with black a little bit. I will be posting pictures, to keep you in the loop...

Thank you guys this is an awesome group....!!!!!

Cynthia

I think silver piping would be the cheapest option, although the idea of casting silver Urethane Rubber "tubes" is on my mind. I would imagine it would cost $30-60 for my height.. So unless I make some money quick, I'll be doing silver piping as well.

I'm either using red spandex or red faux leather for the red part. Either way, I plan on screenprinting the texture.

One more reference shot of the fabric, super close up. It appears the base fabric is Red, and the Screen Print is Black.
Ref8.png

I have contacted Smooth-On and they suggested using Dragon Skin 10 for producing a screen print with a high quality rubber.

Thank you for sharing this link. Still looking for what the back of the suit looks like. Any idea or shots?

The guy didn't take any back shots but it looks like the display does allow pics of the back, just need to find someone to go out there to take 'em for you.

6NjznBT.jpg

bKPuQtH.jpg

I got some photos as well. Not as good as the other dude's but this is at Disney Land

Attachments

• ant1.jpg
    ant1.jpg
    188.2 KB · Views: 264
  • ant2.jpg
    ant2.jpg
    195.3 KB · Views: 232
Hey guys. I'm sort of new to the forums; just registered like a minute ago, though I've frequently come here since TWS came out and I was watching some Captain America costume and shield builds. I've never made anything like a replica or costume or anything before, but I've recently decided to start an Ant-Man costume to hopefully have finished by the time the movie releases in the US.
Basically, the only reason I made an account was to contribute here. Looking at those most recent pictures of the Ant-Man costume at Disneyland, I'm not so convinced that the red material is any sort of leather. It reminds me of this fabric my grandpa had on one of his new tool bags like 10 years ago. It was a duller red, didn't shine as much, but some sort of cloth as the red material would explain the lack of sheen compared to the faux leather parts. I'll look into the material and see if I can get more information for you guys, as I would like to see SOMEONE get this build done right. Even if I'm wrong, I think it's best to explore all avenues a bit.

Last edited:
Interview with the costume designers:
http://marvel.com/news/movies/24771..._ant-man_yellowjackets_suits_in_new_interview

Costume Designers Sammy Sheldon and Ivo Ceveney discuss designing the high-tech costumes of Marvel's "Ant-Man" in a new interview! Read more about creating the costumes and buy tickets now to see "Ant-Man" in theaters July 17.

In "Ant-Man," Scott Lang (Paul Rudd) must leave his criminal past behind and unleash the hero within to master the astonishing abilities of the Ant-Man suit! Originally designed by Hank Pym (Michael Douglas), the suit grants the wearer the power to shrink while maintaining strength. Using the Ant-Man suit, Scott must prevent Darren Cross (Corey Stoll) from unleashing the power of the Yellowjacket suit upon the world!

Hank designed the Ant-Man suit decades before Scott found it, so the suit needed a retro feel while also fitting a present day setting. Sheldon explained the process of designing something high-tech that would also look functional. “There’s a nostalgic feel to this suit, which will become clear in the film. It’s meant to look high-tech for its time,” describes Sheldon. “This was great to develop because one of the main things about this suit is that it’s meant to look totally functional. This is developed for its purpose. We had to make something that looks like it really does work. Everything does light up, and it’s all totally functional.”

In addition to making the suit feel high-tech, the costume designers also drew the look of it from nature. “Certainly for creating the fabrics and the textures, we looked at all kinds of [insect] eyes, legs, colors, and color textures,” explains Sheldon.

Those colors and textures proved to be one of the toughest things about designing the suit. “One of the big challenges in this suit was how to differentiate between the surface of the suit and the surface of the red,” admits Sheldon. “We wanted to create something that had an insect-like quality. The red is taken from an insect’s eyes, so we created a fabric by layering effects onto it so that when the lights are on it, it has depth.”

The Yellowjacket suit utilized similar shrinking technology, but with Darren creating it in present day, the designers approached its look differently. “The Yellowjacket has to be created in a very different way. [The Ant-Man suit] is a nostalgic ‘60s suit," details Sheldon. “The Yellowjacket suit is meant to be on the other end of the spectrum, so it’s a totally high-tech version. We had to create a suit for the actor that is similar to a motion capture suit with all the yellow panels on it. We’ve created parts of the hardware because the majority of the suit is meant to be an exoskeleton and quite hard.”

The high-tech design of Yellowjacket resulted in some advantages for the actors. “This was a lot easier because of the way it’s built,” Coveney confesses. “You can do it all in one piece and also, because it doesn’t have to fit on an actor, everything becomes a little bit easier. The minute you’re not having to worry about the actor’s comfort, it becomes easier.”

After all the time spent designing an outfit to fit an actor, last minute changes on-set can result in modifications to accommodate filming. “All of these belts fasten in the back,” Conveney recalls. “It’s all magically hidden. But then, of course, they needed one shot where it’s fastened in the front. Then they just came to me on set and said, ‘Have you fixed that belt?’ I said, ‘Well, no, because you said you were going to give me warning.’ [They replied,] ‘Well, this is your warning. We’re filming in 20 minutes,’” laughs the designer.

Putting a lot of work into a costume and having to say goodbye to your work can be tough. However, when asked if they’d ever consider keeping a souvenir from the set, Sheldon laughs, “Uh-uh, no way. I want to work again."

Last edited by a moderator:
third3ye Thanks for the article, it was a fun read! Has anyone ever thought of contacting them and seeing what materials they used for the actual movie costume? I mean that would be pretty neat if we got our hardest questions answered by the people best qualified. I myself don't know the first thing about fabrics, or even how to make my own costume, so for me it seems like a daunting task. And it's a little less daunting if we know what we're working with.

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting that they were shooting for a nostalgic '60s suit. With that said, I do see some elements of the NASA test pilot space suits of that era. To mimic the texture and layering, I think on a practical scale, that can be accomplished with puff paint that many did here with the TASM 1 suit. I like the quote "Everything does light up." I think that's going to be a nice addition to have and fun to wire throughout the suit.

Regarding the upper part of the body (Torso), do you guys think this could be made with household fabric (Such as curtains, bed sheets) and foam to add some depth and details? I thought it could be made by making a jacket from the fabric, dyeing it black, and the red parts as foam. Wires could be also made from foam.
i've never done any cosplays before, so please dont get all judgemental and rough on me :D
and yes, i know, 'its all leather'. But only way for me to get leather (Before the release date) would be finding it in a form of a jacket from some trift shop.
But as a idea, would this work as a low cost cosplay?

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back