Rubbertoe Replicas Announces 11th Doctor Sonic Screwdriver Replica!!!

Keep in mind, US customers don't get charged the VAT tax.
I just bought a Vortex Manipulator from Rubbertoe Replicas and there was no import tax added.
I wanted to be sure there were no surprises, so I just ran the new Sonic and it shows there is no import
tax to the U.S. on this either, What is listed is what you pay.

You can run the numbers here.
New Import Duty & Taxes Calculation | DutyCalculator

attachment.php

I'm sure it's just as accurate

A fan made can not be "just as accurate" as one made by the shows prop maker using the same molds and CNC'd parts as the screen used ones???
In the same shop would be the same lathe, the same tools, the same adhesives, the same resins, the same techniques used to mix colors, finish parts, etc....

There is a trade off for paying a little less on a prop that is also being made by the original artist, It might even be worth it for some people. :unsure
My bet is you are going to see this Sonic Prop (Rubbertoe) sell out and go up in value very quickly.

Last edited:
Hey there.
Firstly thanks to those of you already signed up, I can't wait to get stuck into these!
I have been waiting for a gap in the filming of the new series to release these and now is the time. It's looking that I will be covering all the props for the Christmas episode this year so need to get the first 25 done by mid August like I said on the pre order page.
Just to clarify shipping charges. We always label the product with a suitable harmonised code and declare it as a gift or other. So don't expect any nasty surprises. As noted above by Phez 'no duty to be paid'!
Im just finishing off my bowl of high fibre cereal and my black coffee, taking the kids to school and then Im off to the CNC machinist to finalise things and press the start button.

I'll be posting some pictures on here from time to time showing some parts of the build process.

Better go, got three kids to sort out and then 25 sonics!

Hey nick, thanks for chiming in!
I placed my preorder prior to you updating the ordering page with the sound option. I did send an email about this but have not yet received a reply.
I also am wanting to know if buyers will get a waiting list heads up. I doubt I made it in time for the first 25 but I'm hoping I did!
There is also a private discussion I had with another member about how limited your run will be?
At what point will you cap off orders or will this be a continuous run?
Thank you so much, I'm extremely excited to own this!

So will there only be 25 sonics, or will there later be made more available?

Yes there are more available. The first 25 or so will be shipped mid August, the next batch I anticipate sending out probably the end of August. After that I imagine I will always have them in stock.

Yes there are more available. The first 25 or so will be shipped mid August, the next batch I anticipate sending out probably the end of August. After that I imagine I will always have them in stock.

That is very good to hear it won't be limited, as badly as I wish I could order, things have been chaotic in my life right now & honestly may be a good while before I could order.

Only way for european guy is to order and ship to USA then ship again in europe....

I won't buy one from the first run, but I will watch it close.....1457522_567131503366126_1510748174_n.png

Last edited:
Oh mama. This is great! Nick, thanks for taking the time to answer questions and comment here! It looks amazing. Will definitely be ordering one in the future!

681.95 GBP equates to about 1245 AUD and because it's over AU$1000 will likely incur import duties. I'm sure this will be a beautiful piece but the price is a killer for me too. Not a criticism, just how it is. While some of us do have diamond tastes, we also have zirconia budgets. I wish the project good luck.

Out of curiosity, what's the shipping time on these bad boys? For example if i ordered it tomorrow, when would it arrive?

Out of curiosity, what's the shipping time on these bad boys? For example if i ordered it tomorrow, when would it arrive?

We are a bit behind with these and have a back log of about a month at the moment. This is due to me (Nick) making new props for the Christmas episode earlier than I expected. I've had some great things to make and can never turn down any Doctor Who work.

Also one of the main prop makers who took my role when I left full time with the BBC is on paternity leave so I've been covering him.

But the build is going well and earlier today I put the first one together to test everything. Much to my delight it all fits and slides well, if flicking is your thing then flick away. I've noticed that Capaldi is not flicking the sonic and the other day when speaking to the standby props master, he said that Capaldi won't flick it as it was Matt's thing. Much to my horror he showed me the three sonics used on set and they were all glued shut, caked in super glue!

So my love hate relationship with sonics continues!

the other day when speaking to the standby props master, he said that Capaldi won't flick it as it was Matt's thing. Much to my horror he showed me the three sonics used on set and they were all glued shut, caked in super glue!

So my love hate relationship with sonics continues!

Oh no. Having a little experience with what a pain in the ass building an extending sonic is, I think that if i'd gone through all that work to get the sonics flicking, and then found them superglued, I'd bang my head against a wall for a good half hour or so.

Oh no. Having a little experience with what a pain in the ass building an extending sonic is, I think that if i'd gone through all that work to get the sonics flicking, and then found them superglued, I'd bang my head against a wall for a good half hour or so.
ditto, Blimey your heart must've sank Nick! your beautiful work... could he not do the original design, and slide it with his fingers...

It looks like the superglued sonics must be a relatively new thing, since Capaldi does flick the sonic open at least once during "Into the Dalek".

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back