Diablo 3 Female Barbarian Tier 5 Armor Build

Avalyn

Hi! Want to follow my progress as I create a set of Female Barbarian armor from Diablo 3? You can also follow along with me on Twitter/Instagram @PadmeAmanda and on Facebook http://facebook.com/artistavalyn

I thought I would share what I am working on in case anyone is also interested in exploring using Worbla or Wonderflex. I have been creating replica costumes as a hobby for about ten years, but on this project I am working with thermoplastics for the first time, and boy is it fun!

Essential Materials and Tools:
- Worbla (and Wonderflex) thermoplastic (est. 3.5 Jumbo sheets) - cosplaysupplies.com
- Craft Foam - Michaels craft store
- Fabrics: Faux fur (long Mongolian fur), suede-like fabrics, lining. - Fabrics.com
- Primers: Gesso, Wood Glue, matte black spray primer
- Paints: Silver spray paint, acrylic paints
- Finishing: Acrylic gloss spray coat
- Heat Gun
- Sewing machine, serger

Research:
A lot of cosplayers have already done the female Barbarian based on the game art and concept art. I wanted to do something different and base my barbarian on an in-game armor set. I have two Barbarians, a Hardcore one at level 33 and a top-level Normal barb. I liked the look of the armor on my level 33 Barbarian better, so I found pieces that were all of the same design set and then got shots from different angles.

Youtube and Instagram are great places to find tips on working with Worbla and Wonderflex. KamuiCosplay has a lot of excellent tutorials on YouTube for creating armor from Worbla and painting props and armor.

Time:
Started November 2013. I have a 6-month-old so I only get maybe an hour a day to work on this if I'm lucky. My goal is to complete this for Emerald City Comicon (end of March), but if I miss that then I should have it done by PAX Prime 2014.

Reference pic
Barb_Screenshot.jpg

Progress as of January 13, 2014

d5f35a32768011e3a1f30e0176c55ca0_8.jpg
450e98b6787811e380990e1230a8663d_8.jpg
2fd7c8fe7bf311e3b997124be5a77912_8.jpg

Discoveries:
- Gesso is a nice primer, but wood glue is cheaper and more efficient. It gives a smoother surface with even just one coat, no sanding, and a tube of wood glue is only $1.67 at Target.
- They make SMOOTH Wonderflex now! Wonderflex is a less-expensive option but Worbla scraps can be reused so there is zero waste of materials. (Wonderflex has a fabric structure inside but Worbla does not.) A combination of both materials seems to be the best solution - use Wonderflex to create a sturdy base, then use Worbla for all of the details. Now that they have smooth Wonderflex, there should be no hassle with sanding and priming to hide the grid texture, at least in theory. I am experimenting with this.
- Two layers of Worbla is better than one when cutting strips to add line details on armor. With only one layer, you risk losing the detail when you add a lot of primer. Two layers gives more depth and dimension. Also, with two layers your strips do not warp as easily when handling them while hot, though you can still curve them nicely and stretch as needed.

Last edited by a moderator:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1390321153.900473.jpg I made the back plate yesterday out of Wonderflex and green craft foam. This will be attached to the breastplate at the shoulders and sides.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1390321293.479747.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1390321334.307175.jpg I am currently working on the shin guards and right pauldron. Once these are done I will do another round of priming and painting.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1390343239.241614.jpg almost done with building the shin guards, just need to add a little more detail.

Very nice Love the combination of materials. I have some worbla to try for some Skyrim armor so shall be watching and learning!

kwalsh0000 Worbla is easy to work with! This is my first time using it myself.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1390352475.806051.jpg

Shin guards are built! Gonna start priming them.

Back armor is primed and ready for painting.

Next up for Wonderflex and Worbla is the right pauldron and the knee guards. I need to get cracking on that belt too.

My schedule is tight but it looks like I am still on track to finish this by ECCC at the end of March.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1390431935.113170.jpg
Started painting the breastplate and back plate. Did a black wash and shading over silver spray paint. Needs more shading and then some highlights and color on the bottom half.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1390495707.011703.jpg
Here's the attachment method.

I cut a strip of Wonderflex, heat it up, double it over and through the D-ring.

Next I heat up the back of the armor and cut a slit through the Worbla. Slide my strap (still hot) inside and press everything back down. The thermoplastics stick to each other so no glue is necessary.

Sometimes I will speed up the cooling process by running it under cold water. Worbla cools pretty fast but Wonderflex holds heat longer and will try to snap back into its flat shape if you don't cool it quickly.

I see you have bought Kamui Cosplay's prop and armormaking book? I have it too, and it is GLORIOUS! Her work is so inspiring :) And you are doing GREAT for a first timer. I wasn't that good with worbla the first time....

Very cool looking, I'll have to look into worbla for my next armor build. Seems like an awesome material to work with. Is it scratch resistant? Impact resistant?

kialna yes! KamuiCosplay has wonderful YouTube tutorials and I did pick up extra tips from her book! Looking forward to her book on painting but I am plowing ahead into painting these the way I know how.
@IceTyrant yes it is plastic and not brittle. Super durable, I have been throwing it around. I think these thermoplastics are the best thing since sliced bread. Well worth the money.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back