Animatronic Dragon. Pic heavy. FINISHED!!.

Thank you for the compliments. I just heard from the school and they want me to set her up in the library and have each class come visit. They also want me to do a little presentation.
Oh and the family have decided on a name for her.
Her name is DorogoTanith meaning "Precious Serpent Lady".
Dorogo is Slavic for "Precious"
Tanith is phoenician for "Serpent lady"

Re: Animatronic Dragon. Pic heavy.

Ha! You've inspired me to try an animatronic project next. Very expressive and clean looking design. Great job!

Loved the video of it working. I am puzzled that the wings work independently, rather than together. It was a joy to watch, and I posted to my facebook page. How many servos does it use?

I have been interested in doing a walking dinosaur. I want to animate the head/neck with cables as you did. This has jarred an interest in cable controlled mechanics. Thank you.

Thanks guys,
No this one will not be skinned, she is going to be going to some local schools and I wanted them to be able to see the actual workings.
As for the wings. They can open/close separately or together, I did this simply because I wanted to. I thought it would look good. They can only flap together though not separately.
I am glad my build has jarred an interest in you. If you need pointers let me know, I am in no way an expert but I might be able to help.

Oh and as for servos, it uses the following.
2 heavy duty servos (1 for the flapping wings and one for the neck up/down)
1 standard servo for neck left/right
2 standard servos for wings open/close
1 standard servo for the tail left/right
1 micro/mini servo for the blinking eyes
So 7 servos in total.

I will take close up photos later and post them.

LOL... I have learned a lot from this build and I am already planning another one. this new one will hopefully be smaller and I will be using longer cables and housing all servos in a base. (The servos are very noisy) this new one will be skinned.

Thanks for the great compliments.

this new one will hopefully be smaller and I will be using longer cables and housing all servos in a base. /QUOTE]

If you can build it small enough think of a dragon being able to sit on your daughters shoulder, that would be soooo cool...
Great project so far, i will watch your next build too!

Here are some close ups of the dragon.
20131008_172916.jpg20131008_172928.jpg20131008_172936.jpg20131008_172944.jpg20131008_172948.jpg20131008_173027.jpg20131008_173037.jpg20131008_173043.jpg20131008_173053.jpg

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back