ANH Hero DL-44 Discussion - Three ANH Greeblies Found

Please tell me, what do you all think about these:

ANH_realhero_bull_1[1].jpg

ANH_realhero_bull_2[1].jpg

These came from an OLD collection of Star Wars prop pictures, mostly original, with a few fan made. These were claimed to be close-up pics of the original Hero prop's chamfers, but I have my doubts about that. I don't remember exactly where that catalogue is anymore, so I'd have to find it again. What are you thinking about these? :confused

Am I missing something here? The serial number appears to be different from the ANH DL-44 bull-barreled Mauser C96, but could this be the Naked Runner bull barrel (assuming that there WERE, in fact, two different bull barreled Mausers, like Kpax put forth on page 101)? Or is it just a Master Replicas ANH Elite Edition DL-44 that somebody stamped with real Mauser markings, a proof mark, but then an incorrect serial numbers just to troll us? :confused Hell, it could even be a real Mauser that somebody welded a new barrel on, as looking closely, I think I can see a faint weld mark where the chamfers meet the hexagonal port? (But that could be my eyes playing tricks on me.)

What makes me really think about these photos is that the barrel and the hexagonal port appear to be one solid unit, rather than a original Mauser with a sleeve barrel. This means that it can only be either an extensively modded MR ANH Elite Edition DL-44, or an apparently undiscovered pic of a REAL bull barreled Mauser C96, more likely the Naked Runner version, due to the serial number differences between this and the production DL-44.

I'm stumped. What do you all think about this? :confused

I think it is a cast from a real Mauser. The real Mauser has a rounded "fillet" transition between the vertical wall of the upper receiver and where it is wider to be able to slide over the lower receiver. The MGC, the MR and also the Denix are more angular here.

I think it is a cast from a real Mauser. The real Mauser has a rounded "fillet" transition between the vertical wall of the upper receiver and where it is wider to be able to slide over the lower receiver. The MGC, the MR and also the Denix are more angular here.

It'd be a pretty good cast to retain the extractor and the stampings in such good detail, but that still doesn't explain the bull barrel. If it's a cast from a real Mauser, then how and why does it have the bull barrel? Am I missing something here? :confused

It'd be a pretty good cast to retain the extractor and the stampings in such good detail, but that still doesn't explain the bull barrel. If it's a cast from a real Mauser, then how and why does it have the bull barrel? Am I missing something here? :confused
It isn't a cast from a MR EE. I would be that it is a cast off a real Mauser that has been converted with the bull barrel.
As I understand it, not that many people have converted real Mausers to make replicas (compared to people who have used a Denix or MGC) and even fewer have cast them. These people are likely to be members here.

It isn't a cast from a MR EE. I would be that it is a cast off a real Mauser that has been converted with the bull barrel.
As I understand it, not that many people have converted real Mausers to make replicas (compared to people who have used a Denix or MGC) and even fewer have cast them. These people are likely to be members here.

That's certainly a distinct possibility, and it seems a bit more likely than some of my other ideas... Wonder who it might have been, if that was indeed the case with these photos... :wacko

Please tell me, what do you all think about these:

View attachment 334823

View attachment 334824

Very interesting..

It appears to be made or cast from a real Mauser, but origin wise, that one looks like a replica to me. Aside from incorrect numbers, notice how high the barrel sticks up over the Mauser's receiver vs the NR and SW Mausers. Kinda like the entire barrel is offset upward and mounted that way by the replicator, probably due to not having the flat spot on the bottom of their barrel.

I wonder where these photos originated from??

-Carson

Aside from incorrect numbers, notice how high the barrel sticks up over the Mauser's receiver vs the NR and SW Mausers. Kinda like the entire barrel is offset upward and mounted that way by the replicator, probably due to not having the flat spot on the bottom of their barrel.

-Carson

I think you've nailed it and that's why I think it's just a replica and nothing to do with a screen used prop. The barrel is mounted offset just the way we all used to do before the revelation that the bull barrel was centered and milled flat on the bottom.

I would also submit that the edges on the casting are too soft and rounded (one of the Mausers I owned was like this) and not sharp like the screen pistol

Cheers,

Dave.

I think I remember seeing those images before. I think they may be MR. Maybe first gen. ?
I saw these compared with another replica a long time age. I'll look for the pics.

I think I remember seeing those images before. I think they may be MR. Maybe first gen. ?
I saw these compared with another replica a long time age. I'll look for the pics.

After reviewing the pics, I'm now reasonable certain that it's not the NR bull barrel, most probably doe to the different chamfer angles and the barrel height, as well as the piece of T-track on the barrel. It being a cast is a very real possibility, although I don't see the point-why go through all the trouble of adding a sleeve barrel to a real Mauser, and the cast it just to remove the joining gap? Still, if it is indeed cast, then I'm tentatively certain that it's metal, as if you look at the first pic, then I can see what looks to be bare metal where the finish has rubbed off a little. I don't think that it's a first gen. MR ANH DL-44 though, as the Limited Edition lacked an extractor, being modeled off a Denix. The extractor doesn't look to be a milled flat spot on the bolt either. As for these pics origin, I can't exactly recall, but I found them on my old laptop in a folder full of old star wars photos and reference materials, most of which is already on this thread by now. I'm interested to see where they came from too... The main reason that I thought that is COULD be the NR bull barrel (at first glance) was because in the NR bull barrel, you can see what looks to be a 4 in the blow up of the barrel's serial number, in exactly the same spot where there is also a 4 in this serial number. More likely this is only a coincidence, as the NR blow up is quit grainy, and the 4 could in fact be a trick of the eye. Finally, the fact that there are no "holes" in the upper barrel now tell me that it's not a MR ANH EE either. :facepalm For now, being an overelaborate casting seems to be the most likely culprit, but I'm still thinking it over...:unsure

those pics are from "Dreadnaught Industries"
http://www.dreadnaught-industries.com/images/file/blasters/ANH_realhero_bull_1.jpg
Here are better images.
He labels it as "real Bull barrel" but is obviously not. Looks like a casting from the scratches.

Some nice reference images in his collection

http://www.dreadnaught-industries.com/images/file/blasters/ANH_realhero_bull_1.jpg
http://www.dreadnaught-industries.com/images/file/blasters/ANH_realhero_bull_2.jpg

...Ah-ha, that's the one! I couldn't remember the originator of the pics, but I think you found them! Nice detective work man! :thumbsup
(Now I REALLY feel stupid. :lol)

Guess Malcolm got smart!
Home

big thanks and credit to Deadbolt aka Carson for identifying these parts that remained unknown and elusive for 35. Years!

Good for him! And Us... authentic parts RULE. I'm glad I got me some. It definitely lends to making my blaster more craptastic.

Speaking of which... I'm going to put one of my real hensoldts up for sale. This is a heads up in case anyone serious is looking for one.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back