The Martian Space Suit

Hi all! Long-time viewer, first-time poster and all that. Thanks for all the great resources and research! Anyway, does someone have a pepakura file or something similar for the chest piece? I'm really having a hard time scaling it (the backpack was easy - all rectangles) and I'm a total noob at this sort of build. I've only ever sewn and painted things before, but I have the backpack built out of cardboard and that seems pretty stable. Any noob help would be appreciated :)

I'd never see those if you didn*t point them out. cheers @Contec

but are they casts or prints? Lookin forward to the buildvideo :)

I would say cast...kinda looks like it in this picture that shows what looks like flashing around the edge as you get when doing a mold.
25053236035_072c71e0c3_o.jpg

Attachments

• 25053236035_072c71e0c3_o.jpg
    173.7 KB · Views: 76
    173.7 KB · Views: 64
    173.7 KB · Views: 61
    173.7 KB · Views: 64
    173.7 KB · Views: 62
Last edited by a moderator:
I'd never see those if you didn*t point them out. cheers @Contec

but are they casts or prints? Lookin forward to the buildvideo :)

If they had 24 hours, they might have done quick and dirty molds so they would have a buck to clean up for later. The two helmet lights and the arm computer are probably the only things you could remove and put back on in a day.

Some more info on the ASavage Martian Suit.

Sounds like they scanned in the suit with photogrammetry, which should make modeling to scale much easier. Ive tried this while it was on Display at CES, but didnt work out with my lo-tech phone approach.

Also from what it sounds like too, they only had it for a day. Which makes it more interesting as there will be no molding of actual pieces.

http://www.tested.com/art/makers/56...uit-still-untitled-adam-savage-project-12616/

I'm going to run an Agisoft stitch using the 3 photosets from Thomas, Frank and myself, and see what I come up with. Probably won't be great for detail but will help with proportions.

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f33/GirlsofComicCon08/2016-02-15 23.14.06.png

I got the coolest Valentine's Day gift :)

Time to go cut up some potatoes . . .
Jealous!!!! :thumbsup

On a different note, I've been slowly working on a way to make a functioning wrist computer. Luckily I have an old iPhone 5 lying around which sounds like it would be a perfect size for the wrist computer 3D model that someone kindly posted. But writing apps for iOS is a real pain. If I ever get something up and running I would be happy to share it and I know others will be using other phones so a more universal solution would be best. I'd also like it to be able to connect to sensors such as temp, pulse, etc and be able to control the helmet lighting and ventilation. Again, doing this in a universal way with an app is tricky.

So for a couple of weeks now I've been trying to work out how to make a universal solution. The current plan is to build the UI as a webpage. Most smart phones support HTML5, CSS3 and JS so it can be made to animate and look like a pretty good copy of what we see in the film. For those not interested in connecting it up to the suit or those who don't have the budget, I can throw the webpage up to the cloud and you can simply open it on your chosen device. I spent a few minutes yesterday building a basic webpage and theme to look like the wrist computer UI.

Draft-1.png

There is some basic animation which you can't see from the pic such as the full stops (periods) flashing and some text typing. I need to add some more of the graphics but its a start and these should be simple enough.

For those that want the connected version, I was thinking that the webpage could be hosted on a Raspberry Pi housed in the backpack. The Pi would be acting as a web server and a wireless access point so you can connect your chosen phone to it via wifi and open it in the browser like any other webpage. The Pi can then have the required sensors and relays attached to make the webpage functional. Considering the Pi is only £30 and the wifi adaptor, sensors and relays are really cheap, this should be doable for around £50. Now to find the time! :unsure

Last edited:
In case anyone is doing a Vogel EVA suit. Here is a screencap from the Blu-ray. It is a custom made one. It does NOT fit any of the current ESA patches.

Here are the 2 old ESA patches, along with the new 22 flag patch released. You will notice the ESA flag patch in the movie does not match any.

It appears to be a screenprinted sticker. Of what appears to be quite poor quality. The E on the sticker is in slightly the wrong font, and The Circle in which the first "e" is contained is missing the small dot on the left side of it.

Attachments

• snap1.png
    snap1.png
    56.8 KB · Views: 124
  • Esa_flagpatch_22_flags.jpg
    Esa_flagpatch_22_flags.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 100
  • 20.jpg
    20.jpg
    216.6 KB · Views: 135
  • 19.jpg
    19.jpg
    185.1 KB · Views: 115
Jealous!!!! :thumbsup

On a different note, I've been slowly working on a way to make a functioning wrist computer. Luckily I have an old iPhone 5 lying around which sounds like it would be a perfect size for the wrist computer 3D model that someone kindly posted. But writing apps for iOS is a real pain. If I ever get something up and running I would be happy to share it and I know others will be using other phones so a more universal solution would be best. I'd also like it to be able to connect to sensors such as temp, pulse, etc and be able to control the helmet lighting and ventilation. Again, doing this in a universal way with an app is tricky.

So for a couple of weeks now I've been trying to work out how to make a universal solution. The current plan is to build the UI as a webpage. Most smart phones support HTML5, CSS3 and JS so it can be made to animate and look like a pretty good copy of what we see in the film. For those not interested in connecting it up to the suit or those who don't have the budget, I can throw the webpage up to the cloud and you can simply open it on your chosen device. I spent a few minutes yesterday building a basic webpage and theme to look like the wrist computer UI.

View attachment 592307

There is some basic animation which you can't see from the pic such as the full stops (periods) flashing and some text typing. I need to add some more of the graphics but its a start and these should be simple enough.

For those that want the connected version, I was thinking that the webpage could be hosted on a Raspberry Pi housed in the backpack. The Pi would be acting as a web server and a wireless access point so you can connect your chosen phone to it via wifi and open it in the browser like any other webpage. The Pi can then have the required sensors and relays attached to make the webpage functional. Considering the Pi is only £30 and the wifi adaptor, sensors and relays are really cheap, this should be doable for around £50. Now to find the time! :unsure

Where is the wrist file?

Where is the wrist file?
@sain who modelled the bio-monitor/wrist computer uploaded them to cults3d and posted the link a couple of pages back...

Here are the .STLS for the Computer files. I haven't had a chance to print then out in this final orientation. There have been some minor tweaks made from my first protos. But I feel confident putting these out. If you guys run into any problems printing it, let me know and I'll see if I can address it.

https://cults3d.com/en/game/the-martian-wrist-computer

Last edited:
Found a little time to get my Raspberry Pi rebuilt and set up to act as a wireless hotspot and webserver. I've ordered a relay board that can switch 4 devices on/off but for now I just threw a couple of LEDs into a breadboard so I had something to play with.

Once the Pi was set up and a little extra code to control the LEDs was added, the iPhone is simple connected to the Pi as it would to any other wireless hotspot and I opened a web browser (chrome in the example above) and entered the IP of the Pi. As you can see I've get all the code working to be able to toggle the LEDs which will be the same for the relay board once that arrives. I've also ordered a few waterproof temperature sensors to play with too.

Last edited by a moderator:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back