STAR WARS Rebels new animated series!

The very start... Holo of Vader talking to the Inquisitor...
yup. it was added right at the beginning as the new opening scene before the Rebels Logo comes on... if you turned it on late you missed it ...and a lot of my friends missed it! :D

I thought it would be added to the end and they would make you watch the whole show to see it... so I was surprised there wasn't additional added scene nearer to the end... so, you could just watch the intro and turn the channel... I watched the whole thing though... :D It was a very well done added scene and James Earl Jones was perfect!

Here is the best I could find on Youtube:

Last edited by a moderator:
No, both of them are not Sith. They are force users but not trained in the ways of the sith. The basic idea (as I understand it) is that the force is like wifi broadband. The more people you have tapping into it, the weaker the signal. By limiting it to two beings, they will have a strong hold of the force.

That's an interesting take on it, but from what I've read it's more about the Sith's desire for power and dominance. When there were more Sith, they spent more time fighting with each other than the Jedi. Then Darth Bane (?) established the "rule of two". "Always two there are. A master and an apprentice." The Jedi mistakenly believed they'd defeated the Sith when it was actually a self imposed reduction.

But even the rule of two isn't perfect. The apprentice often takes on an apprentice, biding their time until they can kill off the master and take his place.

So, while there can be many trained in the dark arts, only two are "officially" Sith. I could be wrong though...

The rule of two is yet ANOTHER example of Lucas painting himself into a corner with the PT. It's stupid, and if JJ has any sense at all, he'll write some variation on the following:

"I thought there could be only two?"

"That's what we believed. It seems we were wrong."

BAM, back on track. Now you can have alllll the red-sabered baddies you want without having to resort to this kind of contorted borderline-theological debate about "sith" vs "dark force adept."

yup. it was added right at the beginning as the new opening scene before the Rebels Logo comes on... if you turned it on late you missed it ...and a lot of my friends missed it! :D

I thought it would be added to the end and they would make you watch the whole show to see it... so I was surprised there wasn't additional added scene nearer to the end... so, you could just watch the intro and turn the channel... I watched the whole thing though... :D It was a very well done added scene and James Earl Jones was perfect!

http://youtu.be/d0PgF_cfrhM

That's very cool. Thanks for the link. :)

Ben

I always looked at as religion. Sith is a certain sect or denomination if you will of the whole. According to their beliefs Post-Darth Bane you can only have 2, because more than that you have too much scheming on taking power. But, you can also have a Dark Jedi, someone who just happens to use the dark side of the force instead of the light but they haven't been initiated into the order of the Sith or don't want to be a part of it.

That's an interesting take on it, but from what I've read it's more about the Sith's desire for power and dominance. When there were more Sith, they spent more time fighting with each other than the Jedi. Then Darth Bane (?) established the "rule of two". "Always two there are. A master and an apprentice." The Jedi mistakenly believed they'd defeated the Sith when it was actually a self imposed reduction.

But even the rule of two isn't perfect. The apprentice often takes on an apprentice, biding their time until they can kill off the master and take his place.

So, while there can be many trained in the dark arts, only two are "officially" Sith. I could be wrong though...

The concept isn't mine, I read it. Not sure where or how much weight it holds. I went to starwars.com to see if they could shed any light on it. The only real reference was about Darth Bane:
http://www.starwars.com/databank/darth-bane

[h=3]DARTH BANE[/h]An ancient and legendary Sith Lord, it was Darth Bane who saw that the Sith traditions of old were ultimately a dead end. All too often, squabbling Sith in their bid for power upended carefully laid plans. After the Sith were decimated by the Jedi Knights of a thousand years ago, Bane enacted the Sith rule of two: there would be only two active Sith at one time -- a Dark Lord to embody the power, and an apprentice to crave it. These Sith would operate in the shadows, favoring guile and conspiracy to bring down their opponents rather than brute force -- that is, until it was time to rise and subjugate the galaxy.

My assumption is that their databank is info they intend to keep in the canon but I could be wrong. As far as I know, since the scrapping of the previously known EU, no mention has been made to Darth Bane so he may no longer be canon either.

Previously before the EU purge, this is what was known about the Rule of Two: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Rule_of_Two

Last edited by a moderator:

http://youtu.be/d0PgF_cfrhM

I was surprised it was at the beginning as well... When I went to tune in on last week's episode I accidentally hit the reset button on my receiver and it had to cycle through about five minutes worth of synchronizing with the satellites; glad it wasn't this week's episode! Even in cartoon form, there's nothing quite like that mask paired with the "real" voice. Spine tingling! :D And yeah, thanks for the link.

The design of Vader is very reminiscent of these.... DarthVaderConceptEfx02.jpgEmpire_Strikes_Back_Sticker (1).jpg

The rule of two ensures the strength of the Sith: The master wields power while the apprentice craves power. In order to become the master, the apprentice needs to surpass his master in all forms of Sith knowledge because he is required to kill his master. Try too early and you end up dead (thus unworthy to become the master)
The master must strike a balance by withholding certain knowledge to preserve his own position, while still teaching secrets in order to keep the knowledge intact.
The concept in itself is pretty interesting.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

The design of Vader is very reminiscent of these....View attachment 395345View attachment 395348

It's been established many times by the developers that they are basing the look of the show off the old McQuarrie drawings. Personally I don't really see that influence much since McQaurrie didn't make a Clone Wars cartoon, but in some cases, like the helmet, it is very evident. Cool!

- - - Updated - - -

Actually, the show's disruptor model was based on one from SWG. Clone Wars always seemed to be more okay with nods to video games than other EU because there was already a visual point of reference, though in this case I think the nod was more to the Han Solo adventures and Galaxies just provided the look.

Any show that references SWG gets brownie points with me :D

It's been established many times by the developers that they are basing the look of the show off the old McQuarrie drawings. Personally I don't really see that influence much since McQaurrie didn't make a Clone Wars cartoon, but in some cases, like the helmet, it is very evident. Cool!

There's actually a good bit of McQuarrie influence in Rebels, the biggest being Zeb, who is based on early McQuarrie concepts for Chewie. More subtle are the TIE fighters which have stubbier wings than what we see in the movies, and there are background characters that are based on unused McQuarrie concepts as well.

Here's something in Rebels that has me a bit puzzled, what are those antennas on Ezra's pack for? At first thought that he had some sort of radio in his pack but Fighter Flight showed that wasn't the case. So if there's no radio or anything else like it then why the antennas?

The design of Vader is very reminiscent of these....View attachment 395345View attachment 395348

Its kind of sad really that the reveal of Vader in ROTS showed a superior version of the helmet.....in the Original Trilogy it evolved up to the ultra glossy version in ROTJ....so apart from the SFX Technical side there is an evolution to the helmet.....perhaps post ANH, after Tarkin's death, Vader had an improved costume commissioned

The costume in ROTS could have been better if it was an earlier design (McQuarrie)....this would be similar to the evolution of the Trooper costumes

Now after McQuarrie's death & Georges creative departure McQ's designs are popping up everywhere, in the new cartoon & in Ep7, really those designs should have been around at the end of the Prequel period

It's also a shame that we didnt see any of RMcQ's concept Falcon or any of the other YT designs in the Prequels,......hopefully theyll make an appearance in the Rebels cartoon

J

The rule of two is yet ANOTHER example of Lucas painting himself into a corner with the PT. It's stupid, and if JJ has any sense at all, he'll write some variation on the following:

"I thought there could be only two?"

"That's what we believed. It seems we were wrong."

BAM, back on track. Now you can have alllll the red-sabered baddies you want without having to resort to this kind of contorted borderline-theological debate about "sith" vs "dark force adept."

I always thought that was stupid, too. Why would you want only two? How are two people going to destroy thousands of Jedi? I just always thought it was just misinterpreted that way.

"Where did you get the idea there was only two of us? It just means we always work in pairs--y'know master/padawan? God, you Jedi are stupid!"

There's actually a good bit of McQuarrie influence in Rebels, the biggest being Zeb, who is based on early McQuarrie concepts for Chewie. More subtle are the TIE fighters which have stubbier wings than what we see in the movies, and there are background characters that are based on unused McQuarrie concepts as well.

Also that little dish and arms on the head of Chopper, is straight from his concept R2

article-2546919-1B02B65100000578-20_634x358.jpg

j

On the surface the rule of two is pretty stupid but if you go by what's been shown in, the PT, The Clone Wars and now Rebels, as well as the former EU, while there are only 2 formal Sith at any time this doesn't mean they don't use other Force users and others to help accomplish their goals. Before Palpatine became the Emperor he had Dooku, Ventress, and Grievous working for him as well as the Trade Federation. Then once he became Emperor Rebels showed us that he has the Sith Inquisitor as well as the entire Imperial military. So the rule of two can work so long as you can find the underlings and minions to help you and your apprentice with the grunt work.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back