STAR WARS Rebels new animated series!

I'm now actually GLAD that the prequels happened.

For the first time in 15 years...

I might not have accepted this series with such open arms had I not had my expectations knocked down SOO HARD!

But dear God...

I love every character.

The feel they capture is like a warm blanket I've not felt since 1983.

If episode 7 can top this...

I'll probably cry through the first 2-3 times I see it...

If you hate rebels. You aren't a true SW fan. And I have doubts that you have a soul! LOL!!!

I bought the season pass at iTunes... I just can't get enough.. watched the first one (Spark of Rebellion) 4 times already and the second one twice... I don't have Disney XD (cable company conveniently removed it from our lineup and moved it to the next higher digital tier.) so instead of paying even more for more cable with channels I don't watch I decided to just buy the damn things on iTunes... :D I couldn't watch on the DisneyXD app either because my stupid cable company isn't on the list for verification! :D so a slight delay in release but I am okay with that... yes, this show Rebels has it where it counts! :D

I'm now actually GLAD that the prequels happened.

For the first time in 15 years...

I might not have accepted this series with such open arms had I not had my expectations knocked down SOO HARD!

But dear God...

I love every character.

The feel they capture is like a warm blanket I've not felt since 1983.

If episode 7 can top this...

I'll probably cry through the first 2-3 times I see it...

If you hate rebels. You aren't a true SW fan. And I have doubts that you have a soul! LOL!!!

Yeah. MJF.

This may be my favorite Disney show/movie of all time.

Edwardo, there are other ways to see it...

I plan on buying it all on iTunes too... But can't wait!

I didn't care for CW... They were well made... Just don't "do it for me" to quote lonestar from spaceballs.

10714380_366792033477426_1401711329408210412_o.jpg

5 Ways 'Rebels' Is Restoring Faith for 'Star Wars' Fans

By Robert ChanOctober 13, 2014 3:57 PMYahoo TV

For many fans of the original Star Wars movies, the prequels were a huge let-down. But in recent years, the property has been revived by high-quality animated fare such as Star Wars: The Clone Wars. While we, once again, wait with a mix of fear and hopefulness for Episode 7, Star Wars Rebels is currently combining the best of the animated world and the old films.After the first episode — an hour-long TV Movie Star Wars: Spark of Rebellion —aired a few times over the last week (its premiere brought in 2.7 million viewers in the U.S. and 6.5 million worldwide), the series settles into its regular slot Mondays at 9 p.m. on Disney XD tonight. Here are five mildly spoilery things that should either convince you to see Rebels, if you loved Star Wars but haven't visited the universe in a while, or remind you of what you liked if you have seen it.

1. The music

For some, John Williams's original score is more stirring than the national anthem, and composer Kevin Kiner is doing everything to bring us "back to that time and sense of adventure" of the original films.
He also did the music for The Clone Wars, which incorporated more rock elements, but he promises that the Rebels music will be "closer to A New Hope."

2. What's old is new

Everything from the Ghost — which is an earlier cousin of the Millennium Falcon — to Sabine's Mandalorian armor to the speeder bike chase — reminiscent of the chase on Endor, only with oncoming traffic instead of trees — to that first shot overshadowed by an enormous Star Destroyer is meant to remind you of the early days of Star Wars.

The 1977 movie was about a plucky band of upstarts fighting an oppressive regime, something that was lost in subsequent iterations. Even many of the better Star Wars offshoots lacked that swashbuckling, antiauthoritarian dynamic. They're called the Rebel Alliance, for crying out loud!
More than anything else, what Rebels gets right is that sense of excitement and danger that Han Solo brought to the franchise — doing bad to do good.

3. The villains

It's hard to be a high-quality baddie in the Star Wars universe, considering it's the home of one of the greatest of all time, Darth Vader. But it looks like Rebels has two worthy contenders.
Ordinary human villains are often underrated in Star Wars; they tend to be button pressers or self-important blowhards just waiting to be force-choked by Vader. Agent Kallus of the Imperial Security Bureau is something like an animated version of Christoph Waltz's character in Inglourious Basterds, hunting down enemies of the empire.
And then there's the Inquisitor. No, he's not a Sith, but he's got a face like Death and a double-bladed lightsaber, and he's there to raise the stakes. "This isn't like cartoons that I grew up with in the '80s where you have the villain lose every week," says Pablo Hidalgo, who works in the Lucasfilm Story Group. "When the Inquisitor shows up, it means something that's significant."

4. The laughs

There's a great moment in the hour-long first episode, Star Wars Rebels: Spark of Rebellion, where they try to pass off Zeb, the crew's muscle, as "a rare, hairless Wookie." His half-hearted yowl is a great tension-releasing laugh in the middle of the prison break. And the show has plenty of those moments, which is particularly surprising for a pilot.
The laugh in that scene comes from our knowledge of the character. Zeb is a gruff guy who doesn't like to stick his neck out but feels honor bound to do so. He's prideful, so he doesn't like the indignity of the ruse. Even so, he chokes out a Wookie grunt but quickly defaults to using his fists, finally back in his comfort zone.
The expressiveness of the animation and voice work makes the joke effective both as character-based humor and as character-building humor — we're learning about Zeb as we laugh. Executive producer Dave Filoni has been in this game a long time, and his mastery is evident throughout.

5. That moment

Every good episode should have a moment that makes you stand up and cheer — like the first time the Death Star gets blown up — or gasp in shock — like when Vader tells Luke that he's his father.
The moment when Kanan Jarrus says, "Kid, I'm about to let everyone in on the secret," combines the best of two moments. The first is when the petty thief reveals himself to be a hero. Han Solo coming in to save the day at the end of Star Wars: Episode IVA New Hope — the individualist who decides to fight for a larger cause — is central to the Rebels storyline.
The second is the moment when you realize, awestruck, that the Jedi can do honest-to-goodness magic, as when Yoda lifts Luke's X-Wing on Dagobah. When Kallus says, "All troopers! Focus your fire on the Jedi!" you get an idea of the genuine sense of fear that an Imperial soldier must experience when he sees that he's face to face with a near-legendary creature.

Upcoming episodes feature an appearance by Master Luminara from Star Wars: Episode II —Attack of the Clones, Star Wars: Episode III — Revenge of the Sith, and The Clone Wars. We'll get to see the Inquisitor's double-bladed lightsaber in action (spoiler: You know the helicopter thing you always wished Darth Maul's sword would do? Yep, it does that). There are more prison breaks and Jedi training scenes. Basically, it's everything you could want while you wait for Episode 7, when, in the words of Obi-Wan Kenobi, "a new hope will emerge."

Star Wars Rebels premieres Monday, Oct. 13 at 9 p.m. on Disney XD.

Last edited by a moderator:
So I just watched the third episode.

It was awful. Beyond stupid. The only thing redeeming was some cool closeup shots of a tie fighter. I may as well be watching Droids

Just watched the 3rd episode "fighter flight". The relationship between Ezra and Zeb is fast becoming my favourite part of the show.Really enjoying everything else too. :)

Ben

So far I've watched Episodes 1/2 (the pilot) and 3. I have to say, I'm really enjoying it! The whole thing has a very McQuarrie look to it, and I'm digging the characters working together as a crew. Actually it kinda reminds me of Firefly, to be honest, and that's a good thing.

Anyway, looking forward to seeing where the show goes. I doubt it'll be consistently amazing, but as long as it stays "good enough," that's fine by me.

At this point they need a game changer for me to stay interested. We need some character tragedy. Possibly an episode of flashbacks for each character. Or maybe an episode that tells the story of kanan surviving order 66. They're doing a great job connecting us to the original trilogy, but we need this to bridge the entire series

At this point they need a game changer for me to stay interested. We need some character tragedy. Possibly an episode of flashbacks for each character. Or maybe an episode that tells the story of kanan surviving order 66. They're doing a great job connecting us to the original trilogy, but we need this to bridge the entire series

We are one double episode mini-movie and one single episode into a planned 5-7 Season show. Patience.

We are one double episode mini-movie and one single episode into a planned 5-7 Season show. Patience.
Well, I just saw the third episode. If the droid one was a step back, this one was even worse.

It was silly and aimed at kids.

If I had higher expectations it's that I just came off the clone wars...which was very good. And because of the creative involved in this I assumed that we would be building off of what they learned in the clone wars.

Is this show even rated pg13?

But right now, it's no better than the clone wars movie that started off that series. Sabine is as annoying as ashoka was.

Well, I just saw the third episode. If the droid one was a step back, this one was even worse.

It was silly and aimed at kids.

Um....that's pretty much the show. It's airing on DisneyXD, not Showtime or HBO, ya know? It is directed at kids.

If I had higher expectations it's that I just came off the clone wars...which was very good. And because of the creative involved in this I assumed that we would be building off of what they learned in the clone wars.

Is this show even rated pg13?

But right now, it's no better than the clone wars movie that started off that series. Sabine is as annoying as ashoka was.

Well, that's just it. If you're coming off of a similar experience, maybe expect...a similar experience. Clone Wars started off kinda weak, but (so I gather) got considerably better over time. I'm only about 1/2 through the 1st season of Clone Wars, but right now, I'd say Rebels is a bit better than that. It's gonna take time to develop the characters and situations. We're dealing with a multi-year television show presented in 22-minute bites. It's not gonna lay it all on the line in the first four episodes.

That said, maybe you'll enjoy the show more by binge watching it. I watched the first two (technically three) episodes back-to-back, and liked it. I suspect one's enjoyment of the show will considerably increase by watching large chunks of it, rather than weekly episodes. The story will probably feel like it's moving a bit faster, especially when you don't have commercial breaks.

Why would it need to be rated PG13 to be a good Star Wars show?

First off, TV shows are not rated that way, it is strictly a theatrical release sort of rating. Second, with the exception of Revenge of the Sith, all Star Wars movies are rated PG.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back