Reviled movies you think will one day be rehabilitated.

cayman shen

Master Member
You know the story, a movie gets bad or mediocre reviews, then years later it gains a following, and soon enough everyone thinks it's brilliant. I could name about a thousand examples, but The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly and Blade Runner both come to mind.

Just for fun, what movie does everyone loathe that you think in twenty years people will view in a different light?

I'm absolutely in my bones convinced that Rob Zombie's Halloween 2 (Director's Cut) is a misunderstood work of art and that horror fans will view it far more generously in time. You already see some glimmerings of generosity toward it now and again, though most people still violently detest it.

In ten or fifteen years, people are gonna realize that Amazing Spider-Man 2 was a totally faithful distillation of what Spidey comics were in the mid-80s, and history will vindicate me.

Its all down to personal taste, I mean I really liked star trek V.

Get a decent special effects makeover on that, and it could do well.

To me it felt the most in the spirit of the original series.

Watchmen
Cloud Atlas
Prometheus
Sky Captain and The World of Tomorrow
Dredd
Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World
Suicide Club

I would not be surprised if the Evil Dead remake has this happen to it. To me, it was an okay remake. It wasn't bad, but it could have been way better.

The entire Grindhouse experience. To me, the entire thing was meant to be an experience, and both reflected the type of B-Grade film styles they were after (Planet Terror - 1980s, Carpenter style storytelling. Death Proof - 1970s car chase films and slasher films).

I'm glad I'm not the only one on these: Prometheus, Sky Captain and The World of Tomorrow, Dredd and Scott Pilgrim vs. The World.

Another one, to me, is John Carpenter's Ghosts of Mars. I mean, come on, it's as close to a John Carpenter western as you're gonna get.

Someone brought up Blade Runner, which honestly wasn't reviled. It just had the unfortunate timing of being released at the same time as E.T. was dominating the box office (in fact, a lot of great dark sci-fi movies lost out to E.T. because everyone was in love with the light-hearted sci-fi film. John Carpenter's The Thing was another victim of it). But then again, I could very well be wrong about it not being reviled.

Watchmen
Cloud Atlas
Prometheus
Sky Captain and The World of Tomorrow
Dredd
Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World
Suicide Club

Dredd wasn't well received? Didn't know that. I though Dredd was well done. I think Prometheus will live or die on its sequel. If the sequel is solid, it may save/redeem the original by causing people to see it in a new light (count me as one who doesn't care for it, but I'm pulling for the next one!)

Weezer's Pinkerton. Oh wait, movies...

Plus, that already happened.

The entire Grindhouse experience. To me, the entire thing was meant to be an experience, and both reflected the type of B-Grade film styles they were after (Planet Terror - 1980s, Carpenter style storytelling. Death Proof - 1970s car chase films and slasher films).

Couldn't agree more on this one. A few years ago, one of the movie channels had the entire thing in its original 3-ish hour format, and I sat down one evening to watch it. It was terrific! The whole experience was great, but I particularly like Death Proof (which encouraged me to watch Vanishing Point, which I also loved). But really, I think the point was the experience itself, rather than just the individual films. And that includes the completely insane (and awesome) trailers.

I'm glad I'm not the only one on these: Prometheus, Sky Captain and The World of Tomorrow, Dredd and Scott Pilgrim vs. The World.

I question whether Prometheus will ever really be treated all that well. Visually, it's impressive. Story-wise...you can really see where things went askew. Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow was cool visually, but I always felt like the story sort of lost it towards the end. This is a pity, since I think that the concept of the world itself is awesome.

Dredd was genius. And I think that it'll end up rehabilitated, given the strong cult following it already has. I'd love a sequel, but even if one never happens, at least the Stallone version is eclipsed.

Never saw Scott Pilgrim, and don't really intend to. Not my thing.

Another one, to me, is John Carpenter's Ghosts of Mars. I mean, come on, it's as close to a John Carpenter western as you're gonna get.

I love me some John Carpenter, but this one was tough. Particularly with his later films, it seems like he has great underlying ideas, but the execution is just..a little off.

In a somewhat similar vein, though, I'd say Clive Barker's Lord of Illusions deserves another view by horror fans. It's a terrific melding of noir and horror. And as long as we're speaking of horror films, I'd also say that Event Horizon, and Carpenter's In the Mouth of Madness are fantastic films that were misunderstood upon release.

If the sequel to promethious actually has someone who can run to the side, rather than carry on running in the direction that the big thing is falling on you, they might be alight.

Another one I can say is The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (2005). To me, it's just as good as every other version of the story that has been told and in various other mediums. To me, it still has that heart of gold (pun intended) that's been present since the first version of it.

John Carter. OK, so I get that there were a lot of folks very protective of the source material, but I went into it knowing nothing and thoroughly enjoyed it (better than the SW prequels).

Grindhouse was an artsy admirable idea. But the good ideas stopped there and the indulgence took over. They could have made a pair of 60-minute movies packaged together with the trailers and it would have been much more successful.

Deathproof wasn't excusable and I think time will be even harder on it.

I have never seen a crappy '70s car movie where virtually nothing happens except 60+ minutes of Signature Tarantino Dialogue. That's not imitating those old movies, it's just QT being lazy & indulgent. Those old movies had crappy wooden dialogue more than witty stuff. And even the cheapest ones had a lot more things happening.

The Counselor. Not always a big fan of Ridley Scott, but I thought this was one of his best films. The critics trashed it but it pulled me in and kept me going. I liked the story and the cast was solid (even Cameron Diaz was terrific). Definitely worth a shot.

The Counselor. Not always a big fan of Ridley Scott, but I thought this was one of his best films. The critics trashed it but it pulled me in and kept me going. I liked the story and the cast was solid (even Cameron Diaz was terrific). Definitely worth a shot.

I recently watched that one. Definitely a good film. A good combination of Ridley Scott and Cormac McCarthy (No Country for Old Men fame).

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back