BTTF Marty Sunglasses

It's a good start, but we'll need more to get these going. But, as I said... we really need to come to a consensus as to the lenses.

Would there be a way to create both a mirrored and non-mirrored lens and have the buyer be able to choose? I'm personally more of a fan of the mirrored lenses but I can see there being a continued debate about which is accurate, which will unfortunately keep stalling any progress on having the glasses made.

I just looked at all of those images, and only one has a nearly-correct brow bar... but the page it's from has no brand/model info and no source.

Searching eBay I have found one or two others with similar brow bars, but they all have two brow bars -- a plastic-padded one against the wearer's forehead, with a wire one in front of it. Another difference I've found a few times is that the ends of the brow bar core wire often have "hooks" that cross over the top of the lens frames and turn downward. The Zeiss originals don't have that detail. Of course, a few minutes with a dremel and some black paint could fix both of those problems reasonably well for some people.

It's a good start, but we'll need more to get these going. But, as I said... we really need to come to a consensus as to the lenses.

Yes. When you're getting the glasses made, would you tell them what lenses you want? Or would the company you use give you a selection to choose from? Is there any way to get pictures or samples of mirrored / reflective tinted lenses that they would offer, so we could see what our options would be? Then we could see what would give the best look.

- - - Updated - - -

Would there be a way to create both a mirrored and non-mirrored lens and have the buyer be able to choose? I'm personally more of a fan of the mirrored lenses but I can see there being a continued debate about which is accurate, which will unfortunately keep stalling any progress on having the glasses made.

I personally prefer the mirrored too.

There are a limited set of options for lenses, so we tell them what we want and they show us the closest options. I'll see what is available and post some options here.

Could you guys post (or e-mail/pm) photos that you think are the best representation of the original lenses? Thanks.

-Indy

There are a limited set of options for lenses, so we tell them what we want and they show us the closest options. I'll see what is available and post some options here.

Could you guys post (or e-mail/pm) photos that you think are the best representation of the original lenses? Thanks.

-Indy

I found these the other day. I got them at an American Eagle store at the mall. I think the lenses are a match colorwise.
11146645_10204533444564160_7001170279670847837_o.jpg

11206811_10204533444324154_5027394254092140122_o.jpg

My apologies I am holding up the show on Magnoli's end, and also behind on my lighting experiments with the actual glasses.

That said I lean towards mirrored. Problem is I can get the dark amber lens to photograph looking mirrored too and it's driving me insane.

More tomorrow.

Tough call.
image.jpgimage.jpg

Screen grab from the 1985 teaser on youtube.

marty mcfly sunglasses.jpg

The more I look at the glasses in the different scenes/pictures and promo pictures, the more I change my mind about mirrored or tinted. Is it possible to have tinted lenses with a mirrored finish? or is it normally one or the other?

In a screen grab from the same promo video above, you can see his fingers through the lens.

marty mcfly sunglasses 2.jpg

If they we're mirrored wouldn't you just get a reflection of everything in front of the lens and not be able to see his fingers?

Having said all that, I do think mirrored are cooler :cool But we obviously we want replica correct.

You can see my fingers through the lenses of the glasses I posted earlier. But it all has to do with lighting and angle. I've held mirrored motorcycle visors and could see things through it.

I think the dark mirrored shade is the right one. Because straight silver chrome doesn't look right.

Yes, I agree. If mirrored, then a dark mirrored finish, rather than a very light bright silver finish. Do we know if the frame colour were black or bolt gun metal maybe?

I think you may have figured this all out with those photos!

And yes, thinking about it, in similar Zeiss sunglasses seem to only have silver chrome lenses and smoke dark lenses, not dark lenses with reflective coat as I thought.

I think its the black frames that throws off the look of chrome/mirror, making it seem darker than it really is
I have pair of silver framed chrome lens shades and they seem brighter than the McFly ones, but I believe its due to the frame color that tricks the eye

I think its the black frames that throws off the look of chrome/mirror, making it seem darker than it really is
I have pair of silver framed chrome lens shades and they seem brighter than the McFly ones, but I believe its due to the frame color that tricks the eye

I disagree. The frames are so thin and aren't easily noticed due to the quality of the pictures that it hardly affects how you see the lenses. I stick with that they are the color of the aviators I posted above. They were completely custom for the movie, so it's safe to say that they weren't restricted to what Zeiss actually has in their inventory of lense colors.

I disagree. The frames are so thin and aren't easily noticed due to the quality of the pictures that it hardly affects how you see the lenses. I stick with that they are the color of the aviators I posted above. They were completely custom for the movie, so it's safe to say that they weren't restricted to what Zeiss actually has in their inventory of lense colors.
I don't think they were entirely custom made, maybe 'frankensteined'. but then again Roland emailed vintagesunglasses and got a confirmation that it is a rare model.

This photo posted on pg 4 by db537 shows the actual lens color.
attachment.php

I was wrong thinking I was wrong earlier. o_o I thought the lens were grey with a mirror coat since the photos spyhunter2k are the only photos I've seen of MFJ wearing the sunglasses in enough natural light to make a call on what they might be, or so I thought.

In this photo, the lenses look black since we can see them on the inside. Now its just a matter of figuring out how much reflective coating the surface of the lenses have. They appear to have a half mirror coat since we can actually see a bit of MJF's face through them. A full mirror coating seems to be throwing us all off since full mirror lenses do look off and too...chrome. and people's faces aren't visible through them.

Are your aviators full mirror? They lens color looks real good but you can tell if they are or not depending on whether you can still see yourself a bit.

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back