The Smugglers Room - Star Wars Themed Prop & Rec Room

Re: The Smugglers Room - Star Wars Themed Prop Room and Theater

Blimey, this may be one of the best projects I have seen on the RPF, cannot wait to see the next update.

Now I just need to find a shovel and start digging out a basement :)

Damn it, now I'm inspired too! ;)

Congrats on the promotion, looking forward to seeing updates as you get to them.

Thanks brother!

- - - Updated - - -

Blimey, this may be one of the best projects I have seen on the RPF, cannot wait to see the next update.

Now I just need to find a shovel and start digging out a basement :)
Thank you! I just want to finish the damn thing! :)

- - - Updated - - -

This is what we do... ;)
yes sir!

Have you emerged from the shop yet? :-D

Hey Brother, I have emerged from the shop or rather i have been living in it for the last three months. I just finished the insulation and sheathing the inside. I am currently wiring up the remaining electrical and insulating the garage door pretty much as we speak. The shop doesn;t have all the shelves and cabinets fully built, and I still need to build my Table Saw Work Station, but the time has come to say "good enough" and get back to projects again. The Smugglers Room has sat untouched for a long long time, and I have a pretty awesome project to get started on for Celebration VII, so I should be rock'n and roll'n soon. Thanks for checking back I hope I have some updates soon!

Incredible Build Fuzz! ...subscribed, cannot wait for add'l updates
Also, your foosball table is win too!

Hey guys, since i got a free bump on my thread from CircularPastry, i thought i could at least show you part of what has been holding me up on my project. We had some major projects around the house that my loving wife said, "honey, i really need this done and you've had four years in the basement so can you take a break and help with . . . " so what's a guy to do when his wife lets him build a spaceship in the basement right??

But aside from the "honey-do" list, i also have taken on a pretty serious renovation of my 2 car garage, and have been transforming it into a full blown work shop. Now don't get me wrong, this isn't a "state of the art" facility or anything. Not really that impressive, and I don't have anything overly fantastic in it in the way of tools outside the basics, but its mine and at most times it is the happiest place on earth.

This was it before, a glorified storage area and all around JUNK PILE!!!!

16113678160_d90b95ec81_b.jpg

Here is a progress shot from September.

16299262061_6e51224ee3_b.jpg

Please note, i am not finished and I only have a few images from one side of the room, but here is where we stand today.

16300193232_b0ea9c8bf2_b.jpg

16115279367_13a11d163c_b.jpg

so what's a guy to do when his wife lets him build a spaceship in the basement right??
yeah, what is a guy to do? LOL! - workshop looks great too, and us married guys get the "honey do" list thing. ...and the job thing. All. Too. Well.

I've kept up with this thread since the beginning.

This is exciting stuff!

It begins!!!

I've kept up with this thread since the beginning.

This is exciting stuff!

It begins!!!

Thanks brother. I've got some pretty exciting things planned and on the drawing board, but I'll save that for the near future;)

The Madness of work these past few months have slowed a tad, well at least enough for me to take advantage of the amazing weather this weekend and get out into the newly remodeled shop for some much needed prop time.

I went down to the basement and has a look around, and i'll be honest, it was overwhelming. There are so many things I want to work on, update, change, AHHHHHH!!!!!!. Yeah, i have discovered when you take a long break from a project and then re-visit it with fresh eyes the temptation to start changing things becomes pretty intense. Thank the lord my wife said, "if you start tinkering with stuff before you finish I'm going to pull all this down, paint it pink, and make a craft room out of it!" so . . . . I wont change it:)

But the question still remained, what do i dive back into? Again my wife answered, "damn it, i bought that Han in Carboinite cast for you almost three years ago!" So thats what i did.
I pulled it out of the basement to have a look at what i had done so far, the dog was not impressed.

16779776529_76d8ecae5a_z.jpg

It definitely needs attention. I tend to be one of those people that do things the hard way the first time. On this part of the project i assembled the box first, without cutting in all the panels and that was mistake number one. I am sure i had some half brained idea of what i was going to do when I started working on this all those months ago, but I'll tell you if I did, I don't have a clue what that was.

So, no big deal, just have to get it out to the shop and get to work!

16345883643_fca8018200_c.jpg

That's better. Now time to cut the holes. The first thing I should mention is that I am not going for total screen accuracy with this build. I know, I know, sacrilege right? "How dare he say that, lets burn him on a stake!!!" But the truth is, I had to make some minor adjustments to make sure it fit within my basement project. The project was going to be a Poker room/Theater for the longest time. But we have realized that we just don't utilize the theater side of the room very often . . . like ever. Sad but true. What my wife and I really want is a rec room with a bar, shuffle board, foosball, and on and on. So, i had to change my location of the HIC.

This meant I had to scale him down by a few inches. So the overall height is slightly off. I had to do this so it would fit below a soffit. I also am not going to be cutting the holes on the top and bottom, as once this guy is in place you will never see them. That is part lazy, but why put all that work in if no one can see it. I will however be detailing out the side panels as screen accurate as I can without breaking the bank. I know total screen accurate panel greeblies can get pretty pricy from what i have seen and read. So that may be a long drawn out process as I save my nickels.

Anyway, enough blabbing this is what i was able to accomplish yesterday, and hopefully today is better. Thanks as always everyone, for the encouragement, critique, and just having a damn good place to post this stuff.

16778281658_9445887975_c.jpg

16940027696_dcf331b0f9_c.jpg

Well after a nice weekend in the shop I have some progress. Has a long way to go and a couple of goofs to fix, but I'm happy so far. The weathering is coming along, but i'm not totally thrilled yet. It seems there is a large variety of paint selections out there that folks have used with a vast assortment of results. So i picked a couple and went with it . . . time will tell.

16946756446_c48ddd068a_c.jpg

Detailed shot of the weathering I am trying.

16765325427_18830c3dea_c.jpg

Made a goof on the right side of the head, so I had to pour a little more glue to cover up the blemish, should be fine when it drys and I touch up with paint.

16972709005_2b6bcda044_c.jpg

16352614443_7504bf249e_c.jpg

Alright, I think i am satisfied with the weathering portion of the build. That is unless any of you experienced HIC builders have any recommendations or suggestions? There have been some damn good look'n builds recently so i am all ears if I have missed something crucial. Thanks for looking.

16983754472_562c36c20e_c.jpg

16984206411_dcb2d61758_c.jpg

16798922099_7c4b1c4972_c.jpg

16797654990_af50534313_c.jpg

Hey all, made a bit more progress this weekend. I have to admit i am a big fan of the "Slideshow" HIC. I know the colors are a little strange and not screen-accurate, but i just find something cool about it and how the frame stands out against the textured interior. So i kind of went that route with the paint. I also intend to use some rub'n buff on the frame to get it a little more of a warn and beaten look. Again, not 100% screen accurate.

I also really like the "pipe-greeblie" that is holding the HIC up, so I thought I would incorporate some of that on the wall. I also want some type of control panel on the wall that ties into the HIC as well as controls the Audio and Video for the Bar area. Its a little tough to describe so I will sketch it up so you guys can see what I mean.

So at any rate I will stop blabbing and just get on with the photos.

Enjoy, Happy Easter!

Paint Progress

16835040487_675e3c0a6c_c.jpg

16420004814_1397f7b0c5_c.jpg

16420004874_2978d698dd_c.jpg

Here is the start of the control panel on the wall. I hope to get this painted today and start working on the details.

17042445065_e5641c3dfd_c.jpg

Completely awesome, the way you mix the practical with the artistic is really cool. Too bad you can't make Han the bar top.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back