Deagostini Falcon. Anyone seen this?

Couple questions for those that are done construction...

For those using the landing gear: How high/tall is the total prop? Meaning from the surface that the landing gear sits on, to the top of the radar dish (as I'm ASSuming that's the highest point), how high/tall is it? I need to know for display purposes (picked up a used Granas coffee table and will need this info when I convert it to a display case).

How well does the "hold hatches/covers" (for lack of a better term) stay on? I haven't started building, but won't be using the interior if the hatches that cover the hold and Cockpit Approach aren't really secure and invisible (meaning no gaps between the model and the hatch/covers). I'd like to know the opinion of those that have finished if the hatches/covers fit tightly/securely.

Thanks in advance! :)

Chris

The top hatch that covers the interior in front is held on by magnets. It is very secure. The rear cover is screwed on by plastic screws. It is secure but I am not happy with them being plastic. I do not have the height for you but I can measure it later when I arrive home from work. Cheers

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks DiCatania. Looking forward to the measurements. :)

Maybe the plastic screws you refer to could be replaced with some kind of "grippy" screw (screws that are "ribbed" along the edges, so they can be turned by had)? Screws into plastic worry me in that eventually couldn't they become stripped?

Is there any warpage on either covers (cockpit tube or hold) that leave gaps or doesn't create an actual "seal?"

Thanks again!

Chris

Figure 9 inches and you should be fine. I have mine in a case that is 12" high just in case I decide to put it on the stand. I have already begun the search for a better screw. Have fun with the build! I did it with my son and it was a blast. He is 16 and it was a good project to do together.

Thanks for the measurement! Be sure to post a photo if you come up with a better screw (I'm sure there's a joke in there somewhere). ;)

Chris

Figure 9 inches and you should be fine. I have mine in a case that is 12" high just in case I decide to put it on the stand. I have already begun the search for a better screw. Have fun with the build! I did it with my son and it was a blast. He is 16 and it was a good project to do together.

Sweet. I just got a notice from UPS that my month 25 will be here Friday!!!

What do you mean by this? I've never heard of getting a notice from UPS until they leave a slip at your house that they tried to deliver but you weren't home. How do you get UPS to tell you this in advance?

Received my month 25 today along with the stand!! I am excited to finish this build but I am a little sad that it is done. I really enjoyed building this with my son. I will have to search for something new we can work on together.

So now that we're hitting the finals, who has a good painting tutorial for us newbs out there...

My and my buddy both have a set, and we're building at his place. Neither of us have painted models before, and know we'll need an airbrush setup...But REALLY hoping a good tutorial is out there...

We truly have no idea where to start.

So now that we're hitting the finals, who has a good painting tutorial for us newbs out there...

My and my buddy both have a set, and we're building at his place. Neither of us have painted models before, and know we'll need an airbrush setup...But REALLY hoping a good tutorial is out there...

We truly have no idea where to start.

I would read through Darkview's thread http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=240711

If that link doesn't work, it's right here on this forum entitled Falcon 32" Hunk of Junk Build. It's amazing and he's got a rather simplistic and very effective look. He did this using bare "plastic" as far as I know. And for the certain painted sections, I think he painted by hand. You are going to have to read through the whole thread, though, and he does give a very good step by step how-to and then clarifies all the questions you will probably have. Check it out.
Mike Todd

Edit: I goofed. It's not a simplistic LOOK. It's a simplistic technique--as in skipping the usual preshading and undercoating and overcoating etc. And a very effective look. Apologies to Darkview.

Last edited:
I would read through Darkview's thread http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=240711

If that link doesn't work, it's right here on this forum entitled Falcon 32" Hunk of Junk Build. It's amazing and he's got a rather simplistic and very effective look. He did this using bare "plastic" as far as I know. And for the certain painted sections, I think he painted by hand. You are going to have to read through the whole thread, though, and he does give a very good step by step how-to and then clarifies all the questions you will probably have. Check it out.
Mike Todd

Yeah that looks great! I'll have to spend a couple hours looking through it. If I can get half as good as that I'd be stoked

I got my last shipment today as well. Some thoughts...

I'm still miffed by the paint job, or rather lack thereof. There's even a shot in one of the included magazines of the "finished" Falcon: looks like the out-of-the-box Hasbro with lighting, just all plastic-y looking and bland. That DeAgostini 1) used UK and USA customers as guinea pigs and then shipped correct parts to other countries without then replacing those pieces for their original subscribers, and 2) "fixed" the cockpit by not fixing it, just adds salt to the wound. I don't see me buying another DeAgostini product, unless it's finished and I can see what I'd purchasing. But that's me.

The included reference posters are worthless: too dark to see anything. Luckily, those of us on here have a good network for great reference. I'm not sure how others who don't have that "brotherhood" are going to fare. I feel bad for the stereo-typical "Dad and his son" that planned on building it together, with Dad now realizing the amount of work that's going to have to go into this thing to even make it look remotely decent is going up along with the amount of cash he has to shell out... each subscriber has already spent a ton of money on this thing... now add to that more money for paints (and if you want accurate after-market parts, then it's even more), and then add more time for research... and you wind up with something that truly costs a lot. And I just don't know if it's worth it.

The "wall mount" does make a lovely door stop though. ;)

Anyways, not b!tch!ng about anything new here... I know it's been debated already both here and on the DeAgostini forum. The "final" package (as I doubt they'll release any fixes or the missing parts), just brought all this to a conclusion in my mind, and I'm not feeling real good about it. I'm sure I'll change my feelings once I get this thing built and looking like THE Falcon. But that's a ways away.

Sorry to be a Negative Nancy. Back to your regularly scheduled Prop Thread, already in progress. ;)

Thanks,
Chris

I agree 100% on the reference posters. Those are a disappointment for sure. I am annoyed that they couldn't even bother to mold in decent damage points. At LEAST there are reference spots, but there's gonna be a bit of work to make those look right. Not that I expected there to be no work, but It would have been cool to have the damage points properly done.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back