The Daily Prophet - Harry Potter

Hi! I want to create my own props of the DP. How do you get the color of the paper? I've made a few tests in a tabloid and stained with concentrated sepia watercolor and this is the result:
15492350_211237562667907_8680379807111358558_n.jpg

Another question, which size do you use to print your DP?
Thank you :)

P.S: Forgive me if you see some grammatical mistake, I'm still learning english.

These were all printed on plotters - which is actually most used for 'architecture plans'.

I managed to find a small place in my town with a really nice staff who took the challenge to try and do these very large manual front and back prints. Which was indeed a challenge.

There were a LOT of test prints before managing to get it done right.
So don't give up if it doesnt work nicely on the first try outs.

I used coffee to age my Daily Prophets.

During one of their first panels back in the day MinaLima revealed the exact brand of the magic ingredient they use to age their props.
Which is Nescafe Gold, this brand gives a surprinsingly yellow finish different from other coffees which tend to dry as a brown shade.

As you might notice on your first attempts to age the copy aswell... Thin paper will tear apart when soaked.
So I will always add a large safe space on each side of the artwork, so that any tearing can be cut out of the final piece later.

I added a few more info regarding size and making on the first post.

Last edited:
The time has come!!!

I'm very excited to finally share a little bit more from my personal archive collection of The Daily Prophet!!
Also thrilled to dive into a different perspective from what I normally do in prop replica making with these.

So let's get started!

xk5sd3R.png

It's quite memorable to the wizarding world that certain day-to-day paper objects have an interactive magical element to them.
Whether it's a screaming letter, a biting book or a moving photograph.

That allows it for many different versions of the same prop to be created and featured in the movie.

HgtgVjK.png

In those cases, when I want something for myself, I normally chose to replicate the prop that was used on set.
A reproduction from the version that was printed during the making of the movie for the actors to interact with.

7MaYqbC.png

QtqTD8c.png

I’m always very keen on matching my replicas as close as possible to those production made items.
However, it's common for them to appear differently on screen or for some to be cut from the final movie.

1CZ8u1d.png

TjkG24G.png

Mostly because some of these are made during pre-production when actors have not yet filmed the scenes for the moving photographs.
But in some cases the director might decide to go for a different concept to contribute to the movie plot during post-production.

0hugjY4.png

VlnnRMf.png

These kind of variations only really get me into looking even harder to find the unseen bits that were created by the graphic design team.
Because for me they really seem to make this magical universe even deeper, rich in detail and believable.

WkAWcBv.png

hy7xabh.png

iy0qmi8.png

MCaN0vk.png

However, I wasn't able to prevent my obsession for these to extend even further.
So I have decided to also allow myself to move beyond the printed prop used on set and make replicas to feature a still version based on the final moving photos or headlines and pages that only appeared as VFX on screen in the final movie cut.

T49UfXa.png

weQHsct.png

After all, one can never have too many of these in the collection! (-;

Comments and critics are always welcome.

Thanks for looking!

-nurmengart

Last edited:
These Daily Prophets are indeed amazing!!!

Nurmengart has done such a great job.

I have 5 of his Prophets and I‘m very proud to have them in my collection.

The best is, that they have a screen-accurate size and look. For my replicas, I always want them to be as screen-accurate as possible so these were the perfect choose for me.

25BC3260-6FC0-4437-B3A6-7DDD0D8BEA7F.jpeg

0F1ECE75-4C18-4748-B2F1-A47822149356.jpeg

01F6AA9A-52D6-4AED-A607-87254D4BDBAA.jpeg

752BBF46-7608-4DCA-A338-48B484361D00.jpeg

378A1585-4D9E-4292-B803-E0A3505F3645.jpeg

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back