Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Post-release)

such disappointment!!
if you want to see this film watch eps 4-6 again. This is a total remake of ep4,5,6 all wrapped into one!
The new "death star" (ANH) was a planet, the shield had to be taken down so the resistance "rebels" can destroy it (same as in ROTJ) snoke wanting the girl (emperor wanting luke so he can be turned , this is why snoke wants the girl he feels she is stronger than kylo) , luke will now be "yoda" and train the girl....same old story......
episode 8 will be a remake of ESB....
so much for originality....again Abrams cant do his own thing....(star trek into darkness comes to mind...)
done with star wars....
Episode one was better at least that felt like i was watching a star wars movie.

J.J. Abrams Explains the Thinking Behind THAT Kylo Ren Scene

http://collider.com/star-wars-the-force-awakens-kylo-ren-scene-jj-abrams/
That's a nice story J.J., but I don't buy it. There are any number of ways you could have him in the story and be necessary to it beyond "it will give an emotional weight to the story". For one thing, we don't see any kind of relationship between Han and Ben, we're only told about it, so the scene really had no weight beyond "oh no, they killed off Han Solo ". Intellectually, we know it's function, but there's no investment there. For another thing, you could say the same for Leia. What was her function? They could have had any Tom, Dick or Harry in charge of the resistance. Hell, they even had Admiral freaking Ackbar who could have easily filled that role. The only OT character that is necessary to this and subsequent films is Luke, and only because he's the only one who can teach Rey how to be a Jedi. I don't know the real reason they killed Han (aside from HF's possible request that it be so), but this excuse is, IMHO, bs.

Re: Star Wars TFA. Warning spoilers and I hate it!!! Haters and Lovers Welcome

I'm really concerned that I'll come out of the theater after seeing TFA like I did after seeing Jurassic World. It was so predictable. The same characters with different names. I went into JW cold. Didn't read reviews, avoided spoilers etc and sat through it all the while thinking I had already seen it. I'll probably end up going to see it, but I'll wait until Feb when crowds are gone.

Ummm, well of course TFA is going to be predictable to you. You've read every comment in this thread. :lol

The Wook

******* Updated *******

ps~I've held off from reviewing the film on the RPF in any of these threads. I'm seeing the film for a second time tonight. I will post my review probably tomorrow. I hope Tom (the OP) sticks around a bit longer, or checks back in from time to time, as there has been a lot of good debate he's started here. I saw it last Thursday nite, and I'm curious to see how I feel about the movie after tonight's 2nd viewing.

Last edited:
When I heard him say that I interpreted that the First Order steals children to raise in their army as opposed to individuals who are recruited or volunteer. They should go back to cloning.

This is how I took it as well. That the first order kidnaps children. That seems a tough, labor intensive way to get stormtroopers, frankly, if you can just clone them.

I think the reason for it even being mentioned is his lineage was left open for the next creative person to connect him to Lando if they want to. I hope they don't do that.

You know, speaking of Ackbar, while I loved the practical effects in this movie, his mask wasn't that great - really did look like just a mask...
The voice was off too, just sounded like a stock Mon Cal voice. Speaking of voices, Anthony Daniels was way off as well. It has been since Ep. 1, but I excused it in the prequels as "well, it's a newer voice box." When AD talks normally, he sounds like OT 3PO, but when he puts on his 3PO voice now, he goes into higher and higher registers. Why?

I've pondered this and hesitated in responding, as I do know where you are coming from. I respect your perspectives... Though I also do not fully agree...

Some may say that there is no greater deed, or task, or mission than to save your own child, even at risk of sacrificing yourself. Though the death was to a degree unceremonious, there is a strong (albeit perhaps subdued) poignancy to Solo's death.

And the story has yet to unfold...

While Han may now only live in our hearts and imaginations, there is perhaps still hope that his death was not in vain. Perhaps his efforts to redeem the love of his son was indeed an unwitting sacrifice that contributes to an as-of-yet unseen benefit.

This! THIS! So much this!

It is like a ton of people here need to be spoon-fed every detail, because if the movie let's you assume something.... it's now a plot-hole. WHAT?!

And no one seems to realize that this is a trilogy and there are a lot of things that happened in this movie that will have consequences in the next 2 movies.

In summation, there are way too many people that need to be spoon-fed every. single. detail, and need to know everything all at once.

I actually thought his voice sounded a little more "synthesized" or something. It seemed a little different to me.

Ackbar's voice seemed a little different too but I actually thought it was because he was older.

The voice was off too, just sounded like a stock Mon Cal voice. Speaking of voices, Anthony Daniels was way off as well. It has been since Ep. 1, but I excused it in the prequels as "well, it's a newer voice box." When AD talks normally, he sounds like OT 3PO, but when he puts on his 3PO voice now, he goes into higher and higher registers. Why?

Maybe it was supposed to just be some random Mon Cal and not Ackbar, just because he's the only we've seen onscreen with a name doesn't mean that every Mon Cal we see is going to be him. Same with the Sullust pilot, just because he's Sullust doesn't mean it's Niennumb. It's a good thing that Greedo is dead, otherwise every time we see another green Rodian people are going to think it's Greedo.

I'm pretty sure it was confirmed to be Ackbar and the same guy played him. I'm not sure about the Sullustan. He wore the exact same clothes as Nien Nunb but I'm not sure it's confirmed they are one and the same.

Maybe it was supposed to just be some random Mon Cal and not Ackbar, just because he's the only we've seen onscreen with a name doesn't mean that every Mon Cal we see is going to be him. Same with the Sullust pilot, just because he's Sullust doesn't mean it's Niennumb. It's a good thing that Greedo is dead, otherwise every time we see another green Rodian people are going to think it's Greedo.

No both have been confirmed as Akbar and Numb.

ANH drops you into the middle of a universe with zero preamble or exposition beyond the crawl. TFA does the exact same thing but everyone has meta knowledge and have their own expectations as to what the galaxy is now. Just let it go and enjoy the film. It's that easy. This thread is sad, that this movie by every metric is terrific and yet a TINY handful just can't get it.

And Nien Numb's name was in the credits. I didn't see Ackbar's, but then I only started looking for it after I randomly looked and saw NN, which was towards the end of the cast list

Re: Star Wars TFA - How much they got paid **SPOILERS**

Another Thread on TFA. Maybe I should make one of my own since it seems like it's the wild west with no marshalls.

Re: Star Wars TFA - How much they got paid **SPOILERS**

Don't threaten, just go do it. It will disappear rapidly so no problem. If you have time to read a thread about a movie, you have time to read- or ignore- multiple threads about a movie.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back