Metal Gear Solid Props - Guns, Gear and Gadgets

B_VaEMsVAAE8Anq.jpgB-B7K5vCUAIaQyG.jpgB_VZdYJUwAAUan8.jpgB_UwcDgU4AA9Xhz.jpgB_Uwb_JUsAEB2Mb.jpg

Last edited:
10258738_431782896958979_4515731373646268539_n.jpg

I've been working on and off on my own prop knives and the VOX Communicator device, been trying to use metal bluing chemicals to turn this old laptop hard drive into a darker black color but haven't had much success- it only manages to get a few shades darker grey with the bluing liquid. I'm also looking into how I'm going to handle the actual Throat Mic area of the VOX, I'm leaning towards some art I found here as it looks more "armored" than the regular/original version which is a simple black piece:
261_max.jpg

U.S Customers are really getting jipped on that collectors edition, the half-scale arm is tiny compared to the JP release.

U.S Customers are really getting jipped on that collectors edition, the half-scale arm is tiny compared to the JP release.

Yeah, that tends to happen a lot doesn't it? Japanese developers come across as racist, personally or more likely very cold and calculating- they probably realize that the only people they really need to please are their own national consumer base and the international consumers are more "niche".

Beautiful photos of the arm! I really love that it's not all in one shade of red.

Definitely pre-ordering the Premium Package through a middleman. The 1:2 scale just won't cut it!

Still trying to find an official iDroid for a price that's close to its SRP. Otherwise, I'll be turning to a local business that is making one available to fit phones with a maximum size of 124.5mm x 61.5mm x 12.5mm.

https://www.facebook.com/playingmantisphilippines/posts/915548225132272

Last edited:
The iDroid case for sale on Tokyo Otaku Mode is Out of Stock :( Price on it was 80 bucks.

https://otakumode.com/shop/535490a1c9e7e34c4b0001af

And now it's all over eBay for a price of 200 upwards! Crazy!

I really wanted one but it seems impossible to get at SRP now. Hoping someone would offer a prop replica run in the future! :)

Picked up one for my partner a few months ago here in Australia for her quiet cosplay. If anyone purchases one be careful, the screw that secures the phone inside snapped and sent her phone flying across the ground

After C2E2 this past weekend, I can honestly say I am glad I went and developed my costume further. There were a handful of Metal Gear cosplays that ranged from obviously half-assed to really awesome.

Naked Snake / Big Boss: There were at least 12 of us. Only 3 of us had the right STABO harness (two of them, including mine, were made by TheRonin) and I think ours were the most put together (unrelated of the harness). Beyond that, there was a lot of stuff missing or off from other outfits. It ranged from larger things such as using the wrong camo (woodland or solid olive) to having absolutely no pouches at all, to smaller things such as missing the mic, missing the kneepad, wrong/missing knives, the wrong pistol, or the eye-patch over the wrong eye. I hate to sound so picky / discerning, but when the outfit is fairly simple material wise (aside from the STABO and the radio), I've really come to realize how much the little details matter. I blame you guys!

Solid Snake (MGS1): There were two of them. One was just a tac-vest thrown over a blue turtleneck with gray pants, a M9 and an bandana. The other was better with a custom vest, some of the extra pads, and a holster for a Mk.23.

Old Snake: There was only one. His stuff was pretty good and he had a few pads to try and simulate the OctoCamo suit.

Quiet: I don't know too many of the details regarding the character, but from the models I have seen, her outfit was really good with the right straps and pouches etc. Had the markings and some scars as well.

Gray Fox (Cyborg Ninja): He was probably the most impressive MGS cosplay there. Foam was used to replicate the armor and "muscle" of the exoskeleton and the helmet was illuminated.

Psycho Mantis: The Gray Fox told me there was one, but I didn't get to see him.

I was the only one of the snakes to have a box, although one of the MGS1 Solid Snakes would always mention when someone complimented mine that he had one that he just didn't bring. Apparently he uses a freezer box, which to me seems like taking the easy way out because you don't really have to crouch at all.

The box is actually what brings me to this thread. Right now the one I have been using for the past four years and eight conventions is actually the MGS2 "The Orange" box. After all that use, being cut apart along the seams after most con's, the lack of the strong packing tape I like, and the extensive use during C2E2, I think it may be coming to the end of it's life if I can't find a way to reinforce it. While it doesn't fit the MGS3 outfit, I chose the pattern initially because I figured it was the most recognizable (although some clueless people think it is a Valve joke...). It took CAD, a plotter, and about 5.5 hours of stencil work to make the thing so I'd rather not just write it off entirely.

The general idea I had that I'd hoped to get an opinion on was to make a box with a bit of internal structure to make it more durable, even at the sacrifice of collapsibility. After how well C2E2 went and how much fun I had, I plan to start going to more cons again. The few ideas I had revolved around putting a sort of skeleton inside the box at the edges. I wasn't sure if I'd be better off using some sort of dense foam or a thin wood (1x1 etc). The foam might need to be thicker to give much use while the wood would probably be heavier. The box is 24" x 20" x 34" and is just big enough for me to fit inside and go all the way down to the floor.

The other idea I had for it would be to incorporate a sort of sound system into the box itself. I saw one of those "turn anything into a speaker" things and got the idea of putting one of those on the upper inside of the box and putting a control in the front of the box where I could trigger things such as the Encounter theme, radio messages, etc. This idea comes from a friend who does a Mario cosplay and has a speaker/remote device to trigger Super Mario sound effects.

Here is a picture of me from C2E2 that was posted on Facebook
Caitlin Smay C2E2 Saturday Photo.jpg

Apart from the box, I need to work on some of the details of my own outfit as well. The pants are a bit baggy, the camo itself is brand new so looks a bit too crisp, I need to get some leather scrap to do the CQC knife holster, need to do the right leg knife holster, and the radio pouch/radio. I'm also considering a wig, because I don't know if my hair is good enough.

Sorry for the long post. Thanks for reading if you made it this far!

Love this thread!

Does anyone know of anyone doing the MGS2 Cyborg Ninja outfit? I seem to remember one being in the works, somewhere.....

Any good pics or links of good MGS1 Grey Fox costumes? I'm in the market for a reasonably-priced one...........

New Trailer= New Props!

11406157_678312188969266_6181670842101413397_o.jpgpic_z_075_g845bh.jpgpic_z_060_l0dar2.jpgpic_z_053_g8254f.jpg

pic_z_073_u854y6.jpg

Also new pics of the Walkman and tape-
3.jpg5lMq6RY.png

Good closeup of Big Boss's E-Cigar in that pic.

Attachments

• $(KGrHqFHJDkFHoK4kJ(ZBS!QhiNKlw~~60_57.JPG
    $(KGrHqFHJDkFHoK4kJ(ZBS!QhiNKlw~~60_57.JPG
    107.1 KB · Views: 160
Last edited:
Just noticed that I didn't update this thread when the last trailer hit-

Chicken Hat!
mgsv-the-phantom-pain-cock-hat-3.jpg

pic-19021.jpg
And it looks like Kojima has already built one for himself.

Metal Gear Online has a cool new item featured in it's recent railer too-
003.jpgvlcsnap-2014-12-05-21h06m47s100.png

Last edited:
For anyone interested in the Phantom Pain jacket from musterbrand. I highly recommend it, it is pricey but being a motorcyclist I have payed much more for jackets. It's a great riding jacket, and seems to be an exact replica of the one shown in the trailers. That watch looks awesome as well, and the prosthetic arm is so freakin cool. This game is trying to break my bank account, but it might be a good thing that all these expensive limited editions aren't being released in the US. Saves me from going broke haha.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back